I think I found a way to make extra $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I found a way to make extra $$

Alright, so I currently work as a detailer at a dealership. Job's really good, I love it. Pay could be slightly better, so I need something to supplement my income and make a little extra side cash.

Why not after hours detailing from my house, or by appointment on site at the customer's house? Just load up my equipment in my car, drive to their house and do my thing there, or have them drop the vehicle at my house and I'll clean it there.

Nobody in my town offers a mobile service. I can operate between 5:30-10pm during the week and by appointments on weekends.

My prices undercut the 2 large detail shops in town by a slight margin. Asking only $20 for a wash & dry, or $20 for an interior vac & wipe or $20 for an engine bay degreasing....or $60 if I do all of it.

Sounds reasonable?

Ideas, input, comments?

Sounds like a no brainer but down here a wash & dry normally includes a vacuum and interior wipe down....average prices is $15 - $25.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

I looked at the "big guy's" website here in town and they seperate the exterior & interior cleanings in 2 catergories with individual prices.

At work, when a customer vehicle comes in for service, I only do an exterior wash on it. I never touch the interior.

Comment

Really? I guess its really different in Canada. If that the case you can make a killing separating the packages or make smaller killing with a nmore loyal client base by combining the packages under one low fee (be innovative)
        1993 Accord LX - Sold
        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Sure I used to do it when I was between jobs, 80 for a full detail. Made a decent amount of cash
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

It's a little better to do it now with the weather starting to get better so that I can comfortably work outside.

Even if I do 1 or 2 a week, that's still $20 to $120 extra in my pocket, which all helps out.

Comment

That sounds like a good idea to me. Hell, for $20 I would immediately take you up on the engine-detailing service.

How do you intend to advertise? That may very well be the most difficult part.
              Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
              2005 Acura TSX 6MT
              2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Like this

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...AdIdZ365927126

Comment

the price for a regular wash sounds pricey! so does the wash and interior vac and dry!.. but i think you nailed it right on the head with the engine digressing! thats pretty cheap to degrease an engine bay.. maybe if you charge 15 for a wash and dry and interior vac would be reasonable..

my car wash charges 10 bucks for wash and dry and interior vac.
                  they charge an extra 10 bucks to wipe the interior panels

Comment

A full detail can be over $100 around here. $10 will get you a drive-through carwash with a hand dry.

Mikey, the only thing I'd say is to lower the price of the combination package just a bit. If people see a deal, they'll be more likely to go for it. 3 services that are $20 each separately could be $50 for all 3. $35 for two of them.

You could also wax, clean the wheels... maybe even learn how to polish headlights, and offer to repair chipped windshields ($10 kit, SO easy to use!)

Comment

dude when I was doing detailing it sucked. I got paid like 2 BUCKS AN HOUR. we got $15 for a new detail and $23 for a used. But the customer was charged anywhere from $150 and up. And we would do everything. It would take me like 5 hours to do a car cuz I had to basicly shampoo the whole interior with degreaser including everything seats, carpet, and door panels, Dash, vents, storage compartments, headliner, visors. clean the engine bay trunk. Wash and scrub the wheels and wheel wells and then wax. Clean the windows and mirrors polish the exhaust tip, tire shine, and armor all wheel wells and engine bay. If it was going to a certain dealer our was frontline I would have to lay down that plastic floor protector stuff. It took forever. And the boss would get bank and not pay us crap cuz I was like the only guy with papers. But I had to deal with this crap from hyundai and auction cars all day

I dont know how someone can let their car get that dirty. Those weren't even the worst
                      Last edited by Quashish; 03-25-2012, 12:26 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                      It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Holy fuck that gross.

I've had some really gross ones at work, but not THAT bad.

The $20 seems reasonable to me, considering I'm spending an hour minimum, and travelling to your house. So if it's $15, plus the $5 travel fee, it works out to $20.

AT work I get some in that are pretty bad and I have to spend half a day to 2 days on them to get them clean enough to put on the lot.

But oh my god, that first pic made me gag.
                        Last edited by crazymikey; 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

That's a great idea you got! And like deeve said, you should also offer to polish/clean people's headlights as an extra option. A bottle of Meguiars PlastX costs $9, and you don't need to use a lot of it. You could charge $3 per head lights or $5 for both.

1993 Honda Accord EX

Comment

are you still in Alberta or back in ON?

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Nice idea dude. Ive detailed at 3 different places and those prices are pretty good.

When I detailed high end cars it was $25 just for an outside was and dry, lol. And it went as high as $135 for full detail (No buffing, polishing, waxing either, lol)

But I deff loved the job. Ive had 3 interviews at dealers for detailing since I moved home and still have yet to be hired tho
                              My FB Page - http://www.facebook.com/hellaflush3d

My 3D Work --> http://samauripizzacats.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X