Out with the old, in with the new!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out with the old, in with the new!

Well my home built PC, cir 2001, finally took a dump.

I took it apart to clean it, but everything back together and it would not boot.

Re seated the CPU with new paste and tried everything under the sun...no beuno.

Well my boi came over to look at it. He does IT for a major co in NYC and he was clueless....we think its either the cpu or motherboard.

In any case, he offered me a PC that was just sitting collecting dust.

I said, "well if ya don't use it, i sure could right now"

So here is my new PC

Intel Core Duo @1.86ghz
    Nvidia Geforce 8500GT w 512
    5G of ram
    1TB HDD
    Windows 7 64B

I guess it is an XPS 410...idk...never payed much attention to Dell's.

Runs pretty good...i tried a Rail Sim yesterday and it played decent on my old machine but at low reso.

This plays decent at high res....and damn good on medium.

With a quick CPU swap and a badass VC...this thing would rock lol.

Since i have 0$....im going to just enjoy it for now.

And here is my old machine-

AMD 3200+64b
    ATI AIW 9600
    Audigyzs 2
    2G ram
    160g hdd
    windows7

out she goes...

A lot of history with that machine.....was my first computer...came with Windows ME LOL!!!

Survived to MAJOR upgrades, being shipped to and from S Korea and made it from Fla to NY.

Got it in 2001-2002.....so she has endured thats for sure.

If you want any of the old components for projects or whatever....check out this thread-

Just pay shipping and it is yours.

The old computer, is it getting any power? Or is it just not booting? If no power then its the power supply.

New system isn't too bad.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

the tower i built needed a new psu, the old one didnt put out enough juice apparently which caused it to randomly freeze. thats cool that your buddy gave you that tower.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamatari+
        I think I have that exact same metal case, except mine is red. I got it from my wife. My, you hold on to your computers for quite awhile. I still have my Pc from 1997 that came window W95 I even have a few CM64s in my attic.
        Ya well i would love to upgrade everytime something new comes out but i would be upgrading every 3 months in that scenario....don't have the time or money to keep up.

I just updated what i needed to.

Originally posted by dysfunk View Post
        The old computer, is it getting any power? Or is it just not booting? If no power then its the power supply.

New system isn't too bad.
        Yea it gets power...boots for 5 secs and then shuts itself down.

Originally posted by Leung View Post
        the tower i built needed a new psu, the old one didnt put out enough juice apparently which caused it to randomly freeze. thats cool that your buddy gave you that tower.
        Ya he always hooks it up.....im going to take pics for his sisters graduation to show my gratitude!

Comment

I think I had a similar tower to that old one

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Pretty...
            I HATE Dell computers. Back when I had the patience to mess with them, I fixed a bunch of them for friends and family. 9 out of 10 broken computers were Dells. I can say one thing, though... they have AWESOME cases! Easiest things ever to work on!

I've been upgrading parts here and there on my current machine... it's a mess of cheap parts, but by the time something fails, it's WAY outdated and due for an upgrade anyway! I've never bought a full computer in my life. Well, not a desktop, anyway. I bought 2 Netbooks and 1 full laptop (that I NEVER use.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Pretty...
              I HATE Dell computers. Back when I had the patience to mess with them, I fixed a bunch of them for friends and family. 9 out of 10 broken computers were Dells. I can say one thing, though... they have AWESOME cases! Easiest things ever to work on!

I've been upgrading parts here and there on my current machine... it's a mess of cheap parts, but by the time something fails, it's WAY outdated and due for an upgrade anyway! I've never bought a full computer in my life. Well, not a desktop, anyway. I bought 2 Netbooks and 1 full laptop (that I NEVER use.)
              It's funny, I had a long debate with my friend who loves Dell's.

He has an XPS 420 that is hooked up nice.

I told him how my wife and I want to get an iMac for the house etc.

He almost blew a gasket.

I told him how I loathe Dells and how I have never heard anything bad about the XPS machines but the run of the mill Dells are garbage etc.

I then went online and compared a top of the line current XPS to a current imac...more similar then different lol.

Anyways.....the day after I went on this long banter in walks my new Dell ROFL.

So im going to give it a shot...well see how it goes.

I usually build my own machines...not much for store bought.

Comment

With desktops, store bought is often a waste if you know what you're doing... still, sometimes deals come along, or you're just feeling lazy.

I'm sure the Dells I worked on were low-end. I didn't know many people that could afford any more than that! The better models are surely made better. I hope! (assembled by 12 year olds instead of 6 year olds! )

Comment

My mother bought me a Dell back in 2001, it wasn't anything spectacular but it lasted all the way up till last year when i decided to build the computer i'm currently on right now. The only thing i ever did to that Dell was replace a rear exhaust fan, upgrade the ram to 1gig, and install a CD burner. I only went with Dell back then because i didn't like Compaq or Gateway. I don't think i'll ever buy a computer from a store ever again after seeing how easy it is to assemble one.

Comment

Working...
                  X