$15,000 used car options/ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$15,000 used car options/ideas?

Ok, so as many of you know, I've been planning on getting a 2006 CTS-V in the near future (as soon as I get an engine in my hatchback and give it to my friend.) For the most part, the 2006 models are still hovering around $20,000 with 80,000 miles or so on them... but I'm confident that if I look hard enough, I'll find one for $15k-$16k.

My criteria for the car I've chosen are:
    -Manual transmission
    -RWD or AWD
    -The most power I can get, preferably from a large engine (6.0L V8 in the case of the CTS-V)
    -Under 100,000 miles... preferably around 70-80k.
    -Luxurious/classy... a car that someone who doesn't care what's under the hood would still find impressive based on style, brand, and comfort
    -Affordable to repair (the CTS-V has an engine that is closely related to more affordable GM vehicles... and the non-V8 CTS models are very common, and share many parts with the rest of the CTS-V.)
    -Reasonably reliable... this won't be a daily beater, but I don't want to be fixing it constantly!
    -As new as possible (I don't want a 20 year old luxury car, regardless of what it is...)

Now that I'm closely approaching the time where I'm going to start seriously shopping, I wanted to weigh my options once more... just to see if there wasn't another car worth looking at.

So far, I've ruled out:
    European[
    In general, Euro cars are out due to the high cost of ownership and repair.
    Mercedes Benz - all - Automatic transmissions, expensive to repair, used reliability isn't a strong point.
    BMW - 3 Series / M3- The 3 series was a STRONG contender, and I'd trust the reliability. However, I wouldn't really want to settle for anything short of an M3... and that puts it into the "too expensive to fix" category. Plus, although the M3 would be an awesome car, it's still only 300hp to the Caddy's 400, and only an I6 as opposed to the Caddy's monstrous V8 (obviously the newest M3 would not be in the running based on price!)
    Audi - all - BEAUTIFUL cars. An S4 would be doable in my price range, but again, as with the other two German options... expensive to fix, and reliability for a used Audi isn't something they're known for. Plus, the S4's power isn't really up there, though it can be with modification, but I do not care to modify whatever car I get.
    Other - Volvo, Saab, VW - The luxury image of these brands doesn't appeal to me, and they're lacking in the performance that I desire.

American
    The CTS-V is a HUGE draw because it's American, and therefore can be cheaper to fix than a luxury import.
    Cadillac
    - STS-V - if I could find one in my price range, I'd pass... simply because 1) it's only automatic, and 2) because it has a Northstar, rather than an LSx. The Northstar is generally limited only to Cadillac applications, which means sourcing replacement parts for it will be Cadillac-only... which means Cadillac prices. Plus, the STS is Caddy's top of the line, so even parts for a base STS wouldn't be cheap, like the CTS's parts will be (in comparison, anyway.) They are also less common. PLUS, although the supercharged engine is cool, forced induction and high mileage are not a good mix!
    Cadillac - CTS V6 - I've considered buying a V6 CTS... I may even be able to afford a 2nd generation model (the current generation). However, I don't think I'd be satisfied, even with 300hp, knowing the monster V8 options exist. I'd never truly love it.
    Lincoln - LS - The only Lincoln I'd really like. Sadly, it's underpowered, and the only model that comes with a manual is the V6. If I could get a Lincoln LS that made over 300hp, I'd probably consider it. Alas, no dice.
    Chrysler - 300 SRT-8 - Although I hate the brand, and I feel their interiors are crap... the SRT-8 is one of the closest in consideration to the CTS-V. It offers much the same in terms of power, performance, luxury, and appearance. The thing that sways me is that Cadillac has a better luxury image than Chrysler.
    Dodge
    - Magnum SRT-8 - Since the Charger is about the same thing as the 300, I'll only mention the Magnum. I LOVE the Magnum, but it falls to the same criticism as the Chrysler, only with even less of a luxury image.
    Pontiac - G8 and GTO - Both are fantastic cars. Both offer pretty much the same thing as the Caddy, with a bit more of a sporty edge. My only real reason for not wanting either is the lack of a luxury image. I don't want a "sports car"

Asian
    Asian makes are obviously a favorite, given the topic of this website... however, they don't have the muscle I want,
    Lexus - IS - Not powerful enough. The only IS I'd consider is the IS-F, and I actually WOULD overlook the automatic transmission. Still, I'll never find one in my price range that hasn't been wrapped around a tree! No other Lexus model with the power and luxury I want comes with a manual transmission.
    Infiniti - G - I'm probably still only looking at G35s with my price range. As with Lexus, even the 300hp V6 doesn't cut it. I want a V8, or at least a turbo 6. The M45 comes in automatic only, and quite frankly... it's ugly.
    Acura - All - Aside from the NSX, which would be way too old and beat for my price range, Acura has nothing that meets the most important of my criteria.
    Honda - S2000 - Too sporty, not luxurious enough, not enough power... though it was still a consideration despite those things.
    Hyundai - Genesis - I doubt I'll find anything but a 2.0T Genesis Coupe for my price range... and that's very much the same as the S2000 in terms of my complaints. The sedan COULD be of interest, but Hyundai doesn't quite have the luxury image I want yet. Caddy trumps it by far.
    Other Asian makes - Subaru, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Kia - None have the luxury clout that I want, and most don't have anything that meets my top criteria anyway.

So there's my lengthy train of thought.
    I'd love to hear anyone's take on what I've mentioned, or suggestions on things I've overlooked. I'm pretty set on the CTS-V, but I'd like to take one last look at my other options, just in case!
    For my price range, I want the most power, luxury, reliability, comfort, affordability, and "image" that I can get.

you can get a GTO for that price I think...get the 05+ though since it came with the 6.0 LS2 w/ 400hp oh....didn't bother reading haha...oh well

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Yeah, it occurred to me once I wrote all that out that nobody would bother reading what I wrote... and replies would mention things I've already addressed, if anyone bothered replying at all...

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Pontiac - G8 and GTO - Both are fantastic cars. Both offer pretty much the same thing as the Caddy, with a bit more of a sporty edge. My only real reason for not wanting either is the lack of a luxury image. I don't want a "sports car"

Comment

I don't know about everyone else, but when I see a G8, I see every attribute that you mentioned; even the luxurious side.

Your criteria for a manual and luxury isn't something that's common. Only a handful of companies offer this mix in the states, and you have them all listed.

BMW
        Audi
        VW
        GM
        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Deev if I may make a suggestion, how about an 03-04 Mercury Marauder? It has a lincoln interior, comes stock on chrome 18s and has a mustang mach1 motor under the hood.

My father picked up his for 10k with 82k on the dash and aside from a climate control issue and a bad wheel bearing it hasnt given us much trouble. Just some food for thought I wish you the best of luck in your search for a used vehicle.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it has a police interceptor ecu and tune as well as n electronic police interceptor suspenion. At highway speeds it lowers itself and handles corners like a dream
          Last edited by redlined302; 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

I think the only thing about the G8 that I don't like is the Pontiac badge. Pontiac doesn't say "luxury"... though that car is WAY better in that aspect than any other recent Pontiac (aside from maybe the GTO, which was also a rebadged Holden.)

But yeah, you're right...
            I wouldn't even put VW in that mix, as they don't have anything that really fits my "big power, RWD/AWD" criteria. The Golf R32 is about as close as it gets, and as nice as that car is, it's still just a VW hatchback. After driving my Fit, I have a hard time associating any hatchback with luxury! I'd like a Phaeton, but they're so uncommon... and replacement parts are going to be equally uncommon/expensive... or sourced from Audi A8 parts (and if I want that burden, I might as well buy an A8!)

I've actually given the Marauder some thought. It's actually a really cool looking car. Really tough looking, despite it's VERY bland origins. Still, only 300hp from that beast, and automatic-only. The rarity and uncommon-ness of it do put it into the same category as the Phaeton, in my mind. A desireable, luxurious, impressive car despite the brand that doesn't really proclaim such a thing.

Comment

Good recommendation on the Marauder. I made this same suggestion in one of these type of threads last year, and I forgot the reasons why people some were against it. I'm not sure if Deev was yea or nay!

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I don't see Pontiac as luxury per say. I do feel a sense of luxury when I sit in one though. A G8 that is.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I get what youre saying about the auto only thing. My dad actually knows a few people on the marauder.net forum who converted theirs to stick with a mach1 manual trans and I will also say this, the only down fall is you dont get very far very fast not because its not powerful but because everyone thinks youre an under cover cop and StraightSuccess it is a cool car very comfortable and everytime i take it out I always end up turning heads. Plus, its the only one in the town I live in

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Yeah, I agree... even Car and Driver agrees. They called the G8 "The 5 series Pontiac always wanted to make."
                    Had I not owned my Grand Prix GTP, I might be able to bring myself to like a G8. I mean, I like them... but I can't see myself owning one and being proud of it. That GTP was such a piece of crap in every way that I can't bring myself to give Pontiac any luxury credit whatsoever... even though I know the car was designed by Holden, and powered by much the same stuff as the CTS-V I so badly want.
                    If the G8 GXP were a Cadillac instead of a Pontiac, I'd probably make that my top choice. It really is just the badge!

The Marauder and the old Impala SS that you and I love so much, Anthony... those are beautiful cars. The last of a now forgotten breed of simple, heavy, powerful (well, not by today's standards...) boats in the true American tradition. Big, beefy, and unable to outhandle a watermelon rolling down a hill. Both are impressive in their own right, but something is lacking... well, 100-200hp is lacking.

Comment

I love Marauders, too, shit! It a very fun, torquey, big American car. They're very fun, especially with some lowering springs and quality shocks.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

You really think they need to be lowered? I think the stance is perfect. Just enough wheel gap.

Comment

Can you say, motor swap?

Stuff a new Shelby GT500 motor in the Marauder, and for the competition, a good LS7 in the Impala SS.

Problem solved.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

They don't need to be lowered that much, if at all. However, they aren't the best handling cars, so a little suspension tweak will make a huge difference.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Yeah, but I have a project car already... I don't want another!

I want a car that I can buy, never modify, and be proud of it in every aspect... My 86 year old barber will admire the fact that it's a Cadillac (even though he drives a CD5 ), my girlfriend will appreciate that it's a "nice car", my tuner friends will appreciate that it's got 400hp, and I will appreciate that I enjoy driving it... while knowing all those people will admire it for one reason or another as well!

When the day comes for me to get a "just for me" car that doesn't have to do anything but be a blast to drive, I'll get an Exige.

Comment

Working...
                              X