Reality hit me today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
    Stay positive and keep working hard in school. It will all pay off eventually. When you have any free time, use it to make connections. Sometimes just knowing the right person is the key to opening a door that can change your life.

Good Luck, buddy. I Believe in you!
    id say go with this!

everything in life is based on who you know. I wouldnt be where I am today if it wern't for who I know. I started at the bottom of the barrel, then met a few guys who had a bit higher status then me...started partying with them, they introduced me to their friends, got my foot in the door with them, and now im a "water engineer" making 30+ an hour...not bad when i started off as a garbage man right out of highschool...

social networking is key! get out and meet as many people as you can and make good impressions, everyone knows someone with a higher social status then themselves...use it to your advantage!
    ..[CB7][STAR]..
    MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

give me your father's phone number and i will call him and explain to him that wives come and go but he has only one you and you are his son.

reminds me of the scene in "there will be blood" where daniel day lewis is at a church and after some prodding screams out

"i've abandoned my boy"
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
        give me your father's phone number and i will call him and explain to him that wives come and go but he has only one you and you are his son.

reminds me of the scene in "there will be blood" where daniel day lewis is at a church and after some prodding screams out

"i've abandoned my boy"
        Lately he has been an asshole to all of his kids. He used to be a drunk when my mom was with him and that scarred my sister. She never liked him and would always tell me he was an asshole. I'm just going to forget about him and move on. If his wife is more important than his own son, than there is no need to have him in my life. Only way I look at it.

Comment

Well man thats messed up. I am lucky to be in position I am in today, and I know that.

There is no shame in food stamps. Even if its not much, its something more than you got now.

Collect scrap metal and recyclables and turn that in for a bit of cash.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Now's the best time to start your own business.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Plus, being self-employed is a lot less risky than being employed by a company that could fire you without notice.

Food for thought:-)
            14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
              Now's the best time to start your own business.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Plus, being self-employed is a lot less risky than being employed by a company that could fire you without notice.

Food for thought:-)
              You need money to start your own business.. If he was low on cash he could do it but with zero it will be impossible.

Comment

you wanna know what hit me today? Im flying away in 4 days, and I cant call my father my dad. Me and him will almost always be business and nothing more.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                  You need money to start your own business.. If he was low on cash he could do it but with zero it will be impossible.
                  No you don't. All you need is a skill. That's what i did with my small computer hustle (I wouldn't call it a buisness). There is always free stuff out there you just have to know how to leverage things. I was where he was before I got deployed trust me I was roughing it hard, fix a computer here and there for a small sum (get more than I asked for sometimes). Do some brakes ect. Trust me you can do anything if you put your mind to it. And you are old to enough to enlist in the National Guard (the pay is pretty decent for a weekend drill) for 4 years and see where that takes you. That's what I did and it turned out ok for me almost 7 years later. Just keep your drive and good things will happen trust me on this, it will pay off.
                  The CB7 Collector.
                  Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                  92 LX Coupe F22A1
                  2013 Toyota Corolla S
                  92 EX Sedan F22A1
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

I started out cutting grass with a borrowed lawn mower.

Saved up enough and purchased my own equipment.

Saved up even more and purchased an existing landscaping company.

Grew that business, sold it, and then graduated high school

When I lived in San Diego, I would go to public car auctions and buy semi-decent cars (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, etc).

I'd then turn around and sell them to service members who had cash to spend.

I made a killing and it was EASY work.
                    14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
                      I started out cutting grass with a borrowed lawn mower.

Saved up enough and purchased my own equipment.

Saved up even more and purchased an existing landscaping company.

Grew that business, sold it, and then graduated high school

When I lived in San Diego, I would go to public car auctions and buy semi-decent cars (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, etc).

I'd then turn around and sell them to service members who had cash to spend.

I made a killing and it was EASY work.
                      I started flipping cars, paid $500 for a 94 accord, was working on it one day with a for sale sign on it and some lady offered me $1400 before I even got the tire off haha I then paid off the $500 I borrowed from a very close friend and had my mother hold the $800. She then started wasting it little by little and now it is gone.

I am trying to start my own business in automotive work, but when people come and see a 16 year old they turn around and leave.

Comment

automotive work is bullshit anyway. Look into making money using your brain, not your body.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079 View Post
                          automotive work is bullshit anyway. Look into making money using your brain, not your body.
                          Automotive work is what I like though. I would rather be making $13/hour doing what I like, rather than $25 doing something I don't like. I could be making $20/hour next year making boxes, but that would require me to drop out and work for a factory, or I can get a job at an autobody shop making $13/hour doing what I like, only working every other week, and still be able to go to school. Remember, money isn't everything. I had to learn the hard way by going through having none. I am still happier than most people of my age group who had their parents buy them new cars, and give them anything they want. I drive a cb7 with no exhaust, no a/c, rusted quarter panels, and dings everywhere, but I still have a smile on my face every time I look at it because I know I earned it!

Comment

You are 16? ... Wait a little bit and see if you enjoy working on cars professionally.. I am in the industry and have not met one person who enjoys working on cars for other people at 30+yo. Id rather have a job where I can afford to work on my own project cars on the side and have a non physical job that pays the bills.

You live in MA. Autobody is a complete dead end. The insurance companies only pay $35.75 per hour for non uni /frame repair. That limits you earning potential severely. You can quickly top out at sub $20 an hour for the rest of your life. The shop has overhead, materials, equipment, taxes, profit etc then they have to pay you.

The physical strain of the job sucks.. You are fine now.. Wait until you are 30-40-50.

Comment

You are 16? ... Wait a little bit and see if you enjoy working on cars professionally.. I am in the industry and have not met one person who enjoys working on cars for other people at 30+yo. Id rather have a job where I can afford to work on my own project cars on the side and have a non physical job that pays the bills.

You live in MA. Autobody is a complete dead end. The insurance companies only pay $35.75 per hour for non uni /frame repair. That limits you earning potential severely. You can quickly top out at sub $20 an hour for the rest of your life. The shop has overhead, materials, equipment, taxes, profit etc then they have to pay you.

The physical strain of the job sucks.. You are fine now.. Wait until you are 30-40-50.
                              My plans were always to start my own shop. If I can at least get a job in an autobody shop now to get some experience, I feel I would be able to go to a college fora degree in business which will make opening my shop a whole lot easier. My grades are all good in high school(mostly As) so I am hoping to get a Scholarship to any college near by.

Comment

Originally posted by cuate01221 View Post
                                Automotive work is what I like though. I would rather be making $13/hour doing what I like, rather than $25 doing something I don't like. I could be making $20/hour next year making boxes, but that would require me to drop out and work for a factory, or I can get a job at an autobody shop making $13/hour doing what I like, only working every other week, and still be able to go to school. Remember, money isn't everything. I had to learn the hard way by going through having none. I am still happier than most people of my age group who had their parents buy them new cars, and give them anything they want. I drive a cb7 with no exhaust, no a/c, rusted quarter panels, and dings everywhere, but I still have a smile on my face every time I look at it because I know I earned it!
                                you'd rather work for less money doing something you enjoy?

you say that now because your young, and youd much rather be having fun while having to work...but heres the hard reality of it, work isnt meant to be fun...its about making money. everything in life revolves around money...wanting it...having it...earning it...spending it...flaunting it...

when your older and have a gf/wife/maybe a kid, and you need to support them, lets see you take a pay cut in work to do a job you like doing...it simply wont happen, and anyone who does is a complete moron with half a brain.

your only "happier" then others of your age group because you think you are cause you worked hard to be happy...but reality is...the kid whos parents just bought him a new audi...im pretty sure hes just as happy as you are, he just has other ways of showing it...maybe by driving downtown at night with buds pickin up random girls and hookin up with them...

my advice...take the factory job...drop out of school if needed...ever heard of night school? theres always ways around things.
                                ..[CB7][STAR]..
                                MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Working...
                                X