Where to buy JDM engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy JDM engines?

Where have you purchased your JDM engines? As far as companies go. I've looked at Tiger Japanese, JDM Engine Depot, Sunrise Motors, Osaka Motors, and S-Spec Auto. I just want to make sure I am buying from a reputable place so I don't end up getting a pallet of scrap metal. All the prices are pretty much about the same.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm looking for a non Honda motor so a place that sells only Honda motors doesn't help much but I guess I could call them to see if they could refer me to a good place.
    Last edited by accord93racer; 09-04-2011, 01:36 PM.

Japan Star Motors.

I've had my h22 for two years issue free. Only thing major that went was the auto-tensioner. It's seen duty in two cars so far. Still runs like a champ.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Chris, I know that there are a lot of JDM shops in Montreal, of course it would have to be shipped to you, but if you google "jdm montreal" there will be a list of places.

SOLD!!
      Boosted H22
      375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

I bought my 1jz from torontojdm.com....since it was local they let me pick out the one I wanted....they had a few that were just the engine....but the one I wanted came with an auto tranny....so they took the trans off and sold me that engine.

good guys to deal with.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

i have heard very good things about hmotorsonline.com

Originally posted by scudweiser
          i farted while i was getting head once, i was drunk.

Comment

jdm B18C from tigerjap here:
            2009-2010 beat on by previous owner
            2010-2011 boosted and beat on by me

no problems so far.

also had a jdm f22 and jdm h22 from tigerjap in the past

Comment

Don't know WTF "kcmo" means for your location, but don't buy from a company outside your country.

If you're in the US, buy in the US.
              If you're in Canada, buy in Canada.
              Etc.

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

MY smartass answer of the night: "The best place to buy JDM engines is Japan!"

For realsies:
                TigerJapanese seems to be hit or miss with Honda engines. I don't know if they're any better with other brands. Some people have no trouble, some people have lots of trouble. For a Honda motor, I wouldn't trust them... but since I don't know any big specialized sellers for any other brands, Tiger is at the top of the list of the multi-brand engine dealers.

STAY AWAY from Osaka! Do a search and look up all the horror stories about them. You'll even find accounts of my interactions with them. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there!

JDM Engine Depot in NJ has been building a pretty good reputation. I've driven right past their shop, but I've never dealt with them personally. Might be worth checking out.

What Josh says is very true. Don't buy from a company that is located outside of the US, unless you're willing to accept the loss if the engine happens to be crap, and the company won't do anything about it. Osaka is notorious for this. They're in Canada, and they market to the US most often. When something goes wrong, they'll get bashed on the internet (they've had a bad rep for the past 10 years I've been aware of them, and they're still in business!) but an international lawsuit is crazy expensive... far more expensive than anyone would want to pay to recover losses on a relatively inexpensive motor.

Originally posted by 1993 CB7 LX View Post
                i have heard very good things about hmotorsonline.com
                Originally posted by accord93racer View Post
                I'm looking for a non Honda motor so a place that sells only Honda motors doesn't help much but I guess I could call them to see if they could refer me to a good place.

And Josh, KCMO is Kansas City, Missouri.

Comment

JDM Engine Depot shipped my friend a D15B VTEC with a huge ass hole in the valve cover. RNL denied the claim and set those bastards at fault and refused to send him a new valve cover. Ive got a Tiger H22a in my Prelude and its been nothing but problems since day one. The inside of the valve cover looked like absolute hell and who knows how many miles were on it. It hit VTEC pretty good though I will say that. The ONLY thing I have seen come from Tiger are the B20's. They are stupid cheap and I have never seen them bad. Just stay FAR away from the above 2 importers. I purchased an H22A automatic swap from JDM Engine Zone in NJ and It was so clean I could eat off of it. Other than a dented oil pan, I haven't had ANY issues with it so far at all! I got it for 1100 shipped with ECU and TCU. I put the transmission in my prelude and reused my H23a trans. I couldn't be happier!!

Comment

I know its easier to buy from within your Country....and I dont doubt you can find one locally

But if you decide to buy one from somewhere in Toronto I can go check out some motors....if the place is halfway decent they should have no issues with me looking at a motor for you....and if they do...dont buy from there haha

What motor are you looking to get?

Comment

Well I'm looking for a 240SX or Supra shell so it would either be a 2JZGTTE or an RB26DETT, however I found a place in St. Louis that imports and sells JDM Nissan engines and parts. So I guess it would mainly be for a 2JZ if I find a Supra shell.

Comment

I dont care...but before you bring engine codes into the toyota world....its just 2JZGTE....only nissan puts in the TTs indicating twins

Ive seen people be ridiculed relentlessly for saying 1JZGTTE on a cressida forum im on.

Your likely gonna find a 240 before anything else....but id recommend going toyota....the rb is a good motor....but the 2jz is amazing....an mk3 supra can be had for fairly cheap.

Comment

I couldn't remember if it was one T or two on Toyota engine codes. I had a good lead on a Supra shell but the guy sold it a few days ago. And 240 shells are ridiculously priced.

Comment

I made a poll thread asking a similar question.

You can see many members answers here.
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181933

Sold to: dbsharp, daheavyking X3
                            Bought from:'93CB7Ex, xkjnboix, duffmanivxx, remix405, CB7tuner official shop

Comment

Originally posted by King James View Post
                              I know its easier to buy from within your Country....and I dont doubt you can find one locally

But if you decide to buy one from somewhere in Toronto I can go check out some motors....if the place is halfway decent they should have no issues with me looking at a motor for you....and if they do...dont buy from there haha

What motor are you looking to get?
                              It's not that it's easier to buy within the US>.. it's just a hell of a lot safer. If I buy a $3500 engine from a Canadian company, and it shows up with half the head missing, I can call and complain, demand a replacement, demand a refund... and they could laugh and say "you're fucked!" I would have absolutely no recourse, other than to bash their reputation online (hasn't hurt Osaka one bit...), or hire a lawyer so I can spend $20,000 in fees to recover $3500.

Comment

Working...
                              X