Job interviews already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job interviews already

So, as many of you know, I was fired from my sales job last Wednesday.

I took off the rest of the week to get things fixed up on my car and stuff done around the house. Sunday night I hunkered down and got my resume stuff all together and all set.

I've applied to only about 6 jobs so far, and tomorrow I already have interviews at 2 of them. Both of them are commercial painting. One is at a large utility trailer manufacturer and the other is another large industrial painting/coatings place.

I think both of these could be good choices, as it's something where I not only enjoy painting stuff, but I can learn a hell of a lot more about it and get some better skills in the process.

They're both only about a 15 minute drive from home, so they're nice and close without having to leave town, and they're only 2 blocks apart from each other.

So, we'll see how things go. Looking pretty optimistic after only applying to 6 places in 1 day and getting 2 calls this morning.

My only thing though, is that I'm 25 and my work experience is so varied. I don't specialize in anything specific. I've done everything from factory assembly line work, to HVAC, steel framing, train conductor, auto sales, commercial truck driver, stucco, custom metal fab & painting and a few others. I seem like a Jack of all trades and a master of none.
    Last edited by crazymikey; 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM.

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
    So, as many of you know, I was fired from my sales job last Wednesday.

I took off the rest of the week to get things fixed up on my car and stuff done around the house. Sunday night I hunkered down and got my resume stuff all together and all set.

I've applied to only about 6 jobs so far, and tomorrow I already have interviews at 2 of them. Both of them are commercial painting. One is at a large utility trailer manufacturer and the other is another large industrial painting/coatings place.

I think both of these could be good choices, as it's something where I not only enjoy painting stuff, but I can learn a hell of a lot more about it and get some better skills in the process.

They're both only about a 15 minute drive from home, so they're nice and close without having to leave town, and they're only 2 blocks apart from each other.

So, we'll see how things go. Looking pretty optimistic after only applying to 6 places in 1 day and getting 2 calls this morning.

My only thing though, is that I'm 25 and my work experience is so varied. I don't specialize in anything specific. I've done everything from factory assembly line work, to HVAC, steel framing, train conductor, auto sales, commercial truck driver, stucco, custom metal fab & painting and a few others. I seem like a Jack of all trades and a master of none.
    Not a bad thing to be a jack of all trades, just depends what you want to do. Out of all of those jobs which one did you like the best/least? Good luck with the interviews

Edit: Just going to mention that a friend of mine from here in Ottawa has been in Alberta for a few years working as an assistant welder. He's up in Ft Mac, but he's making just undre 10K a month and he's 22!! Have you ever considered doing that?
    Last edited by mozzandherb; 08-23-2011, 01:33 PM.

SOLD!!
    Boosted H22
    375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

I refuse to go and work up there. It's not just about money. It's about sanity and life. Both of which I'd like to have.

The jobs I liked the most were manufacturing seats and probably the commercial driving. Those were also my longest stints of employment.

Comment

I refuse to go and work up there. It's not just about money. It's about sanity and life. Both of which I'd like to have.

The jobs I liked the most were manufacturing seats and probably the commercial driving. Those were also my longest stints of employment.
        I loved driving my brothers commercial truck. And there always seems to be jobs out there for that. why dont you pursue that route again?

SOLD!!
        Boosted H22

Comment

I only have my Class 3, or DZ. Not many class 3 jobs around here unless its temporary farm work.

Everything is all Class 1 or AZ, long haul and Super B tandem.

Comment

I only have my Class 3, or DZ. Not many class 3 jobs around here unless its temporary farm work.

Everything is all Class 1 or AZ, long haul and Super B tandem.
            Do you enjoy driving enough to try and get your AZ or DZ license? I guess you see where I'm going with this

SOLD!!
            Boosted H22

Comment

yeah, my dad's an AZ trucker, but I can't afford to do the training. It cost me $1500 to get my Class 3/DZ in '09. It's like $6000 for your Class 1.

Comment

yeah, my dad's an AZ trucker, but I can't afford to do the training. It cost me $1500 to get my Class 3/DZ in '09. It's like $6000 for your Class 1.
                You might be able to get a loan to start up

SOLD!!
                Boosted H22

Comment

I don't have the credit for it. All my family is tapped out. I'm on my own to fund stuff.

Comment

That's cool you are very lucky not only did you get a job interview in less than a week but you got 2.

Comment

they will ask you why if you ever been fired. and if you say yes, they will ask why. its one of those things hat can make or break you! good luck!

no
                      Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                      $30 HID kits here Thread
                      "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                      "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
                        they will ask you why if you ever been fired. and if you say yes, they will ask why. its one of those things hat can make or break you! good luck!
                        thats when you just say something along the lines of "workers in the enviroment...we didn't see eye to eye at times"

let them call up and ask your old boss...its highly discouraged to give a negative refference to an ex employee, its slander. they can say insubordination reasons...they wont go into details...

but good luck on the interviews mikey!!
                        ..[CB7][STAR]..
                        MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by stewie View Post
                          thats when you just say something along the lines of "workers in the enviroment...we didn't see eye to eye at times"

let them call up and ask your old boss...its highly discouraged to give a negative refference to an ex employee, its slander. they can say insubordination reasons...they wont go into details...

but good luck on the interviews mikey!!
                          Slander?

BWHAHAHA

That is the whole point of calling for a reference....yes they can give details...and no you can't sue them for slander unless they start saying shit like "your a child molester" and its not true.

A reference call is a character check....so details are usually discussed.

Not that it matters, because he didn't get fired for anything serious.

Try to know what your talking about before you give advice, maybe once?

Comment

And congrats on the interviews....good luck!

Comment

Just got back from the interview at the trailer manufacturer. They'd like me to start Monday morning. $13.51/hr to start, but they almost wanted to pay me more. After 1 month they said they'd do a review and see.

Looks like a pretty well set up place. Guys I met in the paint dept were really nice, and I only work 10 hours a day 4 days a week.

I think it'll be a pretty cool place to work. They seem really busy, and there's lots of variety of equipment to paint from small cargo trailers, to flatbed trailers and dump truck tubs.

I'm quite excited!

Comment

Working...
                              X