Health Insurance for the Self-employed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Insurance for the Self-employed?

Ok, so I'm self-employed. I've had no health insurance for pretty much my entire adult life, and I don't even know how to go about finding it.

I want something I can afford, but also something that's going to cover me in the case of something serious (like if I happen to get cancer or something.)

Does anyone have any advice? I could really use it.

"Regular" insurance is super expensive. (about 10k a year)You can get catastrophic insurance for serious conditions.

Comment

That's what I'm most interested in. I can afford to pay for a doctor's visit, and I MIGHT be able to afford certain tests (if i need an MRI or something, I know that can get stupid expensive...), but I'm terrified of going to a doctor with no insurance (I haven't been to a doctor in about 7-8 years) and learning that I have something seriously wrong with me. Then I have a pre-existing condition, and no insurance company will touch me. A recent government program was passed to provide coverage for anyone with a pre-existing condition, but I'm wary of relying on a government program, given the state of our economy. With my luck, the program will be discontinued as soon as I need it!

Comment

I guess another option would be to get a part time job with a company that provides insurance. Barnes and Noble offers decent benefits to their part-timers. If I can work 2 nights a week someplace easy like that, and have whatever I earn go towards insurance, it'd be well worth it I suppose.

My friend does deliveries for a local hospital, just 2 nights a week, and he has AMAZING benefits. He just had his gall bladder removed (I think that's what it was), and it was pretty much covered 100%.

The only problem is that my time is very limited, and my schedule is unpredictable.

Comment

Blue Cross and Blue Shield is a company that provides insurance to self employed people.

And per the New Health care Bill-and until it is repealed-no insurance company can deny you because of pre-existing conditions.

You might do better to call the Dr.'s office directly and ask what the cash price of a general exam/blood work would cost, then shop for insurance, with that base price in mind.

It is actually becoming a common place thing for people to be shopping the market for health care services, and paying cash...you might be surprised at what you can afford.
          Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

That's true, many doctors probably work on a sliding scale. Seeing a small number of patients paying full price vs. a large number of discounted patients... I'm sure they're feeling the crunch as well!

Is it the law that companies can't reject you based on a previous condition, or is there just government insurance that will cover someone that has been rejected (that's what I thought it was when I looked into it a little while ago... but this stuff confuses the hell out of me.)

Comment

ive got bcbs through my company and they have helped out a lot.. yes, its through work, but just saying that they have covered a LOT of shit and are accepted damn near everywhere.. ive used my insurance for sooooo much pricey shit this past year because of what happened to me last june-july.. from drugs, to surgery, rehab, MRIs, catscans, more drugs and basic tests and dr. visits.. i DID find out that there are "discount" prices on larger tests/procedures if you pay up front in cash.. one of my MRIs wasnt covered by bcbs and was normally $1200.. they said that if i paid cash up front, it was only $540.. basically, i think they would prefer to deal with people who are financially sound and not HAVE to rely on payments..

i never had any insurance in my adult years until my current job and thank gawd i have it now.. cancer would be even more a pain in the ass if i didnt have insurance..

Comment

Generally medical offices will use a sliding pay scale for people who pay with cash, no insurance or low income. Most doctor's offices when you go in with no insurance, they will give you a discount between 15 to 20%, just make sure you tell them you have no insurance.

since being layed off, i've gone to the doctors probably 3 times, paying about 90 bucks for the visit after the examination. Blood work and all that jazz is billed to you later by the labratory that did the work and that could run you about another 100 bucks.

you can find some more information about insurance for the self employed here. and possibly find yourself some too.

Comment

It's not the regular visits that I'm concerned about, though... I'm afraid that if I get REALLY sick, I'm going to get slammed with bills (or get no treatment because I can't pay for it... it's sad to think that I could die because I can't afford medical treatment!)

I'll have to read through that link in detail. Looks like lots of good info. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    It's not the regular visits that I'm concerned about, though... I'm afraid that if I get REALLY sick, I'm going to get slammed with bills (or get no treatment because I can't pay for it... it's sad to think that I could die because I can't afford medical treatment!)

I'll have to read through that link in detail. Looks like lots of good info. Thanks!
                    I'm not sure what you make annually but when i went to the ER at midnight, going into Easter morning, I was asked to pay the $100 ER copay and then handed a pamplet. Depending on your situation, your entire medical debt accrued for such situations could be wiped clear. That's what basically occured for me even though i had a CT scan, ultra sound, and a room to myself. The bill totaled out to be like 4500 bucks that would have taken me forever to repay. They also refunded me 200 dollars too for some reason...

I only went because i was having pains in my lower stomach/groin area which led me to think that one of my testicles had managed to twist around. They find anything wrong with me and just told me to relax and eat more fiber.
                    Last edited by Leung; 08-07-2011, 06:41 PM.

Comment

If you are a risk taker....

Say 10k a year in insurance

10k x 10 years (from 30yo-40yo) is 100k

Chances of the average 30-40 yo needing 100k of work at the hospital?

Comment

I am self employed with no insurance and found it difficult to get anyone to want to treat me past the initial doctor visit with no insurance. A few years back I wanted tests done which I was paying cash for and the places really did not want to help me.

I had a friend with no insurance who had gall bladder removed. It was paid for through a govt program of some sort.
                        Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

All i need to know is that hospitals are not allowed to turn people away during emergency situations.

Actually my mother had her gall bladder removed back in November of 2008 and it ended up costing about 10K also luckily she had insurance but still had to pay like 2k.

Comment

If I walk into a hospital and get diagnosed with a serious illness, I wonder how that would work. They can't turn away an emergency, such as a severe wound... but I wonder what happens if I walk in with cancer, and can't afford treatment.

Comment

I'm sure more than likely they will work with you in regards to payments and such. If not there is always charity care.

Comment

Working...
                              X