Dropped a bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped a bolt

So... I was working on my tC today. I had a bolt with a rubber tubing on it temporarily sitting on the battery. I go to pick up a towel to wipe my hands and knocked the bolt off. I have looked everywhere for this thing.

I have checked the ground, the engine bay, everywhere. Still can't find it.

Key thing is that I don't really need this since I have a spare bolt... but I'd really like to find it. I even drove it around on a bumpy road to see if I could hear the rattling and nothing. I'm assuming this is due to the rubber tubing that is wrapped around the threaded part of the bolt. Hoping that the thing just fell out as I was driving it. I checked before and after I drove it.

Any ideas on locating this thing?
    my 91 cb7
    Originally posted by 4doorfury
    I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Undercarriage plastics.

Comment

Checked. I don't have jacks at my college so I crawled somewhat under the car and shook the plastic undercarriage.

No rattling or thumping.

I'm thinking it got wedged somewhere. :/

Hopefully it fell out already on my way to Subway.
      my 91 cb7
      I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

Put in reverse. Floor it. Slam on brakes. Drop.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
        -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

well at least you know it's not stuck into your tire like the screw i just found in mine. Thank goodness for the low tire pressure light on newer cars otherwise i would have probably gotten into an accident since the road i was on has a lot of curves.

I've dropped bolts and sockets into the engine bay when working there but i have always found them on the gound or wedged somewhere that i could reach. That would drive me crazy knowing there might be a loose piece of metal floating around in there.

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post
            Put in reverse. Floor it. Slam on brakes. Drop.
            Not a bad idea. I'll try that. It was a bolt stuck inside a rubber tube that I was going to use as a plug.

Leung.

Yeah.... that's my problem right now.... I don't even know if it is still in there or not.

Update:

I just put it in reverse, floored it, then hit the brakes. Didn't see anything fall out. I'm hoping that dang thing fell out on one of my drives today.
            my 91 cb7

Comment

Its probably on the k frame itself or maybe it fell on the grass. You should just forget about it and move on and take another bolt lying around. Every bolt that I have for my project I keep it and put it to the side just incase if I lose it I have a bucket of bolts I can spare on thats all.

Comment

Nope checked the ground and the grass around, it's not there.

I bought a bunch of them so I had extras.

What's the K frame?

But yeah... I'm not too worried. I'm just hoping that the bolt wasn't brass. That and steel leads to bad things. But I bought it at advanced auto parts... so it's probably steel even though it was gold in color.
                my 91 cb7

Comment

Originally posted by wlfpck View Post
                  Nope checked the ground and the grass around, it's not there.

I bought a bunch of them so I had extras.

What's the K frame?

But yeah... I'm not too worried. I'm just hoping that the bolt wasn't brass. That and steel leads to bad things. But I bought it at advanced auto parts... so it's probably steel even though it was gold in color.
                  The k frame is your frame that connects the suspension to the chasis the big bar of metal under your motor.

Comment

dude... take it as a loss, your car ate it.

maybe sometime in the future when you are doing suspension work, youll find a rusty old bolt stuck in a corner somewhere.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

lol yeah. When I change my oil and I don't see it on that k frame, I'll know it fell out.
                      my 91 cb7

Comment

its probably stuck on the front plastic piece that connects to the underside of the bumper and wheel wells. Take that off and u'll prolly have it drop down or see it on the piece of plastic. Had to do that once for the same reason.

Originally posted by Dr.x
                        You drive an almost 20 year old car, pretty much everyone can pay it off.. you dont need to be "ballin"

Comment

yep. Checked the plastic undercarriage already. I think the next step is like what h22sparkle said and check the k frame.
                          my 91 cb7

Comment

Working...
                          X