Rim Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rim Failure

I was reading on a vw golf forum and I found a thread I wanted to share.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showth...t=73984&page=2
    Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
    93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

I like my OEM honda wheels

I've never seen any of them fail

Comment

wheel quality on a < 220 HP FWD car doesnt really matter, there is no stress.

but a 220 HP, RWD car is a diff story.

as is any 350 WHP car.

BBS is the shit, i've raped my bimmer in the ass and smashed it into curbs and snapped my aftermarket control arms in half and my bbs wheel wasnt even bent or dented.

rotas are fine for pretty much any not boosted cb7
      ]

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post

]

Comment

Wow... I just read the whole thread... why, I don't know, because the same topic has been discussed here to death.

Anyway, that thread has all of 3 people with a brain... the rest are idiots that base what they believe on pictures they see on the internet. Almost none of them can spell, or string together a coherent sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Dave View Post
            wheel quality on a < 220 HP FWD car doesnt really matter, there is no stress.

but a 220 HP, RWD car is a diff story.

as is any 350 WHP car.

BBS is the shit, i've raped my bimmer in the ass and smashed it into curbs and snapped my aftermarket control arms in half and my bbs wheel wasnt even bent or dented.

rotas are fine for pretty much any not boosted cb7
            I had a set of BBS wheels. ALL FOUR of them were warped.

I'm not denying the quality of BBS wheels... but they are not immune to damage.

Higher quality manufacturing methods will obviously produce a stronger wheel. However, all wheels sold in the US meet a certain safety standard. Unless you're doing some hardcore racing (or idiotic street driving), the need for the strongest possible wheel is pretty much nonexistant. If you're doing hardcore racing, you should 1) have the knowledge to get a wheel suited to your needs, and 2) have the money to afford a quality set of wheels. I mean, really... who has the money to build a 700hp car, but they can only afford a $350 set of wheels?

Plus, many of those broken wheel pictures... how many of them come with an accurate backstory? I saw none. How many of them were improperly installed (no hubcentric rings, for example... or not properly torqued...)? How many of them were the wrong offset, putting undue stress on the wrong area of the wheel? How many of them were used for multiple seasons? How many of them were exposed to high heat during a powdercoating process? How many of them were subject to extreme stress in an unintended manner (such as drifting...)? How many of them were broken due to striking a curb, pothole, or something in the road? How many of them were destroyed by the failure of another component, such as a ball joint?

People love to jump to conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Wow... I just read the whole thread... why, I don't know, because the same topic has been discussed here to death.=
              haha read i read a few pages.

the OP says
              I like them nice lookin wheels but are they any good (for autox)?
              that just summarized the entire intelligence of the thread for me lol

so what was the general consensus on this forum about cheap rims?? im too lazy to search lol

i think the OP meant like bling bling wheels, asking if they were good for autox

haha i could see a civic with spinners trying to do autox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8pZmQQWZ2c
              Last edited by Turbo Dave; 07-08-2011, 01:02 AM.
              ]

Comment

Hopefully, the general consensus on cheap wheels on this forum is that you get what suits your needs. I drive the shit out of my car on NJ roads. I would be an absolute moron to spend $600 per wheel for something "good". I've run $100 Falken and Konig wheels. I've done considerable damage to all of them (I cracked a Konig a few months ago...) Do I blame the wheels? No. I blame the big fucking potholes that I hit! When I bend a $100 Konig, do I get upset? Not really. Only at the inconvenience (especially since my stupid wheels are now discontinued... and a replacement is hard to find!) If I bent a $600 Volk, would I be upset? You bet your sweet bippy I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Dave View Post
                  i remember this
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

...I drive the shit out of my car on NJ roads...

...Do I blame the wheels? No. I blame the big fucking potholes that I hit!...

I pulled off an exit coming into South Jersey once, somewhere below Cherry Hill, and I was in my mustang and the road from the off ramp was so fucking horrible i hit a pothole that fit my whole damn tire in it down to the front bumper.

fucked my shit up.

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                    i remember this

haha yeah my GF at the time was pissed lol, she did not like being stuck out in BFE watching street racing all night until the sun started to come up.

I did though lol.
                    Last edited by Turbo Dave; 07-08-2011, 01:28 AM.
                    ]

Comment

I love my bbs.
                      considering asanti.
                      american made luxury/heavy custom wheels.

anyone know about these?

Comment

Originally posted by Xsjado View Post
                        I love my bbs.
                        considering asanti.

anyone know about these?
                        i think i might have seen those, someone had like amg mercedes looking wheels on like a 93 SE nice like typG's obviously they were custom with a custom name i searched on the internet for but couldnt find, cant remember the name, they were the coolest rims though

i dunno if thats what you're talking about...
                        ]

Comment

Originally posted by Xsjado View Post
                          I love my bbs.
                          considering asanti.

anyone know about these?
                          all the stupid ghetto idiots here run them. The rim lasts longer than their ugly ass car. lol I seen more people curb their rims cause they run 30 series tires so I couldnt be certain.

If your going to get them, inspect them from time to time.
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

some of the rims there where not failure but got damaged by hitting something. as for the ones that did fail while on a regular drive/race, what do you expect when you but dirt cheap low quality copies of more expensive high quality ones

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post

same here

the ones I rock on my SE where on my wagon at the time it got crashed. it got hit dead square on by the other car then shoved through the firewall & still its perfectly straight. even took it on the mountain run afterwards.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                              some of the rims there where not failure but got damaged by hitting something. as for the ones that did fail while on a regular drive/race, what do you expect when you but dirt cheap low quality copies of more expensive high quality ones

same here

the ones I rock on my SE where on my wagon at the time it got crashed. it got hit dead square on by the other car then shoved through the firewall & still its perfectly straight. even took it on the mountain run afterwards.
                              When I wrecked my honda my oem rim was bent to shit lol.

I hit the wall at 60, but just before that some concrete block.
                              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                              X