Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do U guyz drive in traffic w/ 5 speed.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do U guyz drive in traffic w/ 5 speed.??

just curious what u guys do, for neck to neck traffic, or just in general traffic... are u guys able to fully engage first? or do you guys let the clutch do the work??

bored at work

post ur pointers of do's and mostly don'ts..
    for reverse
    for slower speed drivings, like traffic
    clutch in only to shift, clutch in (and hold) to not die out.

hills, im okay, i got it a few times w/o ebrake, depends on steepness just at times spins tire or over revs..
    Last edited by FishyMan; 03-01-2005, 11:50 PM.
    hahahahah

you just drive if its mad slow you end up feathering it but if its a cool speed i let it idle in 1st LOL and it pulls hahahah i love my little engine that could
    To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

I keep it in neutral, let my foot off the clutch and if it's flat I don't touch any pedals, if I'm on hill I just push brake pedal. Then, I just sit there until traffic moves a decent amount ahead, then shift to first and go some forward and shift to 2nd then cruise as long as possible in 2nd...until I have to absolutely stop, then I repeat procedure.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I just sit there until the car ahead of me gets about 2-3 cars ahead of me.

Comment

haha i meant technique.. like give distance then engage fully in 1st... i read some stuffs and tips like newer cars like WRX u dont have to full engage into 1st like as u let clutch out a bit it's strong enough to pull u forward for that small space of movement during traffic i d k though...

im thinking bout picking up a 5speed that's why, but d k bout the traffic thing, maybe it'll just be a weekend car or something..

bump for styles.. just need pointers.. i guess the thing i want to ask is, is it bad to add some gas as u releasing clutch (to move a bit) only to find that u couldn't engage fully and u had to clutch+ brake again?? or is giving urself more space then engage fully to move and clutch + brake again be better?? i find the latter being what i seem to do on the safe side..

that seems to be the only thing that bothered me, as i d k if its correct, i bought my 5 speed 3rd gen and taught myself, everything is smooth, just unsure bout the traffic part..the throttle was a bit tight, so sometimes i'd over rev.. oh well it was smooth w/ more practice.
          hahahahah

Comment

well i used to live in the bay area of california..and a usual 15 min drive would take almost an hour. i mean this was bumper to bumper. if i am exxxtremely tired i idle in neutral and pull up the e-brake, if its traffic thats moving but slowly i will keep it idled in first and use the e brake, but if its moving along more like stop and go i leave it in first and use the foot brake. haha i guess this is also where i have my problem of jumping at lights...but its under control now that i drive a bimer daily and that rear diff is exspensive to replace!!!i dunno just my traffic driving style

Comment

5 speeds rock, im not old enough for an automatic yet.....unless its an h22

Comment

thanks guys... it seems more logical and reassuring that i shouldn't hold the clutch and fry it or ride it... so basically depress clutch only to shift and press and hold to not die out..

is there anything to read ?? to assure the do's and dont's??? i tried asking my uncle but he is old and gets grumpy and has a diff't style and technique.. 1 of my friends do diff't things like in turns or whatever he depresss clutch or something then releases it out after the turn, he doesn't shift but somehow naturally it gets to him.. i was somewhat like that initially thinking i'd die out as car felt shaky on slow coasting turns..

it is diff't after driving auto so long, u kinda have to feed it gas and not let it coast b4 revs no more...
                hahahahah

Comment

well im lucky enough to be able to base what i do around traffic. i work from 6-2 usually. so i goto work and come home before both rushes. and if im out anywhere, i just chill till night time... i dont have to be home by 7-8pm, so i just stay out of traffic. i hate traffic even in an a/t, so i try not to deal with it.

Comment

1st gear at like 1100-1200rpm = boston traffic
                    dirty accord->
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...threadid=13407
                    crappy website

Comment

i hate traffic and 5 spd.... especially hills with traffic... jesus

Comment

i would just drive to whatever you would feel comfortable, just remember to keep your distance and scout ahead.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

hmm really slow!

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

with skill....that's how I do it
                            Honda-Tech Username: Lostcb7
                            The cb7tuner.com OG.

Comment

Gotta have skills, like picking up chicks, and having a sweet bike

Comment

Working...
                              X