Ok so Im cheap and want to have a/c this summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
    Yup... One thing I learned is do not modify your DD....
    At least don't modify it to make it less of a daily driver.

Comment

The freon was magically escaping from an unknown place that could not be found. I kinda wished I had of taken it to Honda and paid them the diagnostic fee to find it and I know for a fact it would have been found. My a/c would work like a freezer until the freon went into the atmosphere. Its a good thing I got free freon or else I would still be paying it off. Stop leak and those other things that stop leaks did not work.

And to the people who are offering their a/c components. I appreciate the offers greatly, but I will need to pull the setup off myself so that I know how it goes back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
        You are right of this. I have been there done that!

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
          Not for me... Do maintenance... Keep it stock.... Its nice to go under the radar when you want ....... No one / police do not take a second look at my daily... Just blend in

Comment

Not being a nit picker, but you'd be better off getting parts from a junk yard then drying them out and buying a new dryer (since that's what really matters). Yeah it's more expensive than some other routes but it's worth it. They don't all have to come from the same car either. You could do it over time and grab a condenser and some front lines 1 day, then the compressor and brackets another until eventually you have everything. I'll send you my old AC compressor if you pay shipping (and if I still have it, pretty sure I do).
            Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by Skeet Skeet View Post
              The freon was magically escaping from an unknown place that could not be found. I kinda wished I had of taken it to Honda and paid them the diagnostic fee to find it and I know for a fact it would have been found. My a/c would work like a freezer until the freon went into the atmosphere. Its a good thing I got free freon or else I would still be paying it off. Stop leak and those other things that stop leaks did not work.

And to the people who are offering their a/c components. I appreciate the offers greatly, but I will need to pull the setup off myself so that I know how it goes back on.
              So was it ever cold? If it escaped that quickly, when they did a vac pull they would of saw it never hold a vac. Your just working with people who dont know what they are doing. Freon doesnt magically escape.

Regardless if you paid honda, they will say replace everything. Its not the name of the place that will make the job right, its the guy working on your AC that will get it going.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                So was it ever cold? If it escaped that quickly, when they did a vac pull they would of saw it never hold a vac. Your just working with people who dont know what they are doing. Freon doesnt magically escape.

Regardless if you paid honda, they will say replace everything. Its not the name of the place that will make the job right, its the guy working on your AC that will get it going.
                I was working out of a commercial refrigeration truck when I was doing my diagnosis. I had a set of gauges, vac, storage tank, and an unlimited amount of Hotshot R-414B (Its an awesome 134a substitute that I have proven will make a big difference over 134a in cars, but for some reason GM vehicles don't like it) and I was not able to find a leak to save my life. I was starting to think that the leak was soooo small that my sniff sniff couldn't pick it up. Mind you my sniffer was kind of old at the time but worked great when finding other leaks. My air wasn't ever instacold but after 5 minutes it would satisfy you.

I just wish I knew why all the of Hondas I have ever had consisted of broken a/c. You would think that all of them would have a common leak area that could be replaced. I can't see the evap leaking because it doesn't see any of the outdoor elements the other components deal with. Im just going to get to the junker and get new lines, evap (my expansion valve is brand new, only saw 1 freon fill), blower because mine is OUT, and all brand new seals. If I can't seem to get a working a/c system after this, I think Ill die.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                  Not for me... Do maintenance... Keep it stock.... Its nice to go under the radar when you want ....... No one / police do not take a second look at my daily... Just blend in
                  Well by that i mean

my car is my daily driver. I added heated seats to make it more comfortable to daily drive

Comment

if I got my 300 dollar CB7's AC to work, then you should be able to get your car's AC to work. And I've got NO AC background/experience.

All I did was when I noticed the bumper was tack welded on, I looked behind and sure enough, the condensor was dented in, so I replaced that with a JY one for 24 bucks. Then I started inspecting lines, and since I knew the guy before me didn't take car of the car, he probably crashed it into something and then didn't do anything about it, so there was a good chance the compressor was still good.

I took a try at it and dumped 2 cans of R134a in there since it already had the retrofit adapters....turned out I could immediately hear a leak. Took the lines apart, bought an Autozone AC O-ring kit and replaced all of them in the front.

Then it still wouldn't kick on, so i finally realized that the AC fuse inside the driver kick panel was blown. After I replaced that, compressor kicked on and I had ICE COLD A/C.

Honda AC rules...even in AZ where it can get to 120 degrees in the summer time

You just need to be smart about it and approach it logically. So in your case, just gather all the parts and assemble them...its not much harder than that. It helps to have a Helms factory service manual too. I found mine on Craigslist for 20 bucks and I've already used it a bunch of times to adjust/fix things on my car.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

im late to the party so fuck you <3
                      whenever you begin a question with "im cheap" the answer is and will always be, "do it right"
                      To-Do List for Today
                      Be Awesome

Comment

You can still be cheap and do it right though!

Comment

You know, it can be an incompadability with that wanna be r134 freon your using.

Just like the crappy freeze12 which is just recycled "everything"
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Every time I have a car with a/c the freon gets replaced with Hotshot because it tends to cool better. I also heard (old refrigeration guy hearsay) that 134a tears up SOME compressors. The company I worked for used hotshot when they filled up 134a required stuff and it worked fine and they also used hotshot on the work vehicles and it outperformed the 134a that was previously in it. When I experimented with it, I noticed a 3 degree cooler output with hotshot than R134a with the systems running correct pressures and freon levels on both. You actually use less hotshot freon than r134a freon.

So yea, I know a/c. I am far from an expert though.

Comment

http://www.whistlergroup.com/faq-inverters-answers.asp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=350412444317

I found this. 165 amp alternator that will power a portable unit and have about 75 amps to spare. From what the FAQ said, ill be pulling around 90 amps because the unit is around 900 watts. I am not going this route anymore but I figured some of you guys would like to know.

Comment

Well Skeet Skeet skeeted to the junk yards today. I found only ONE Accord in the whole area with complete a/c. And to top it all off it was still holding freon and from sitting there waiting for the freon to escape, it seemed like it was slap full of it. Got the entire system and a mirror for $135. Today was a good day.

Comment

Working...
                                X