Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vietnamese iced coffee: who drinks it? who makes it? who does both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vietnamese iced coffee: who drinks it? who makes it? who does both?

ive been drinking for a while now, but for the first time today, i decided to buy the sweetened condensed milk and stainless press/filter they use in pho restaurants.

the only problem, and a big one, it sucks.

i cant fuck up condensed milk, so i must be pressing the coffee wrong. im about to ask the guy next time i go eat pho to show me how to make it. the one main place we go to is always good and consistent.

I used to drink coffe like that but it has been so long, I don't even own one of those anymore. I can easily find a smaller press if I need to though.

As for how much coffee yours suppose to put into one, I think it was up to you bc I used to only put like a tablespoon and a half or two max and then screw in the press.

Comment

I ordered one from a pho restaurant before and that shit is strong. I'm not a big coffee drinker so maybe that's why, but it was real thick and dark tasting (if that even makes sense). I've never tried making it before though.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of eat eating pho. I too love the coffee and own 2 presses I just saw the type of coffee they used and picked some up at the nearby vietnamese market.It took a while but after many failed attempts I finally watched how they make it and got it right!

Comment

time for you to join us an our coffee shop escapade in San Jose.. lol

me, Wes and Kane ... wed3k an 4cylpower hit the coffee shops once in a while.

as for making it urself, are you using the right kind of coffee? so many different brands/kinds at the asian stores.. gotta just find the one that fits ur taste buds..

also let the ice melt down to water down the coffee itself ... Fill ur cup with ice and condensed milk .. then pour ur strained hot coffee into the cup with ice and milk.
          -:¦:-
          Originally posted by wed3k
          i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

I don't know what kind of roast you guys are using but we always used a French Roast.

Comment

the coffee shop is an experience!
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

all u do is push the strainer down lightly and the caf'e will drip down into the condensed milk. i'd say the amount of milk thats already there should be about, 4tsp. then u pour in the ice and a little water. and stir it up and drink. in the asian gerocery stores they sell a premix packet. that u just pour hot water into and stir. u should look into buying those. u will get ur fix and u cant fuck up! they are cheap for like 50 packs. Viet Pride!
                Last edited by tommi; 04-26-2011, 12:05 AM.
                <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

I've made it s few times now, and from reading about what's suppose to happen, I am doing it right... I probably just need a better bean. I'm using the standard French roast from work. But I know the "authentic" coffee used for a CSD is that Vietnamese coffee with chicory(yellow can, I believe).

I've got a lot of condensed milk and unlimitd hot water, so I guess I'll have fun getting it right.

I'm actually getting phô tomorrow night, so if the usual guy is working I'm probably getting a crash course.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                    I've made it s few times now, and from reading about what's suppose to happen, I am doing it right... I probably just need a better bean. I'm using the standard French roast from work. But I know the "authentic" coffee used for a CSD is that Vietnamese coffee with chicory(yellow can, I believe).

I've got a lot of condensed milk and unlimitd hot water, so I guess I'll have fun getting it right.

I'm actually getting phô tomorrow night, so if the usual guy is working I'm probably getting a crash course.
                    yeah that's what we used, Cafe du Monde.

http://www.monocle.com/upload/Progra...ge_cafedumonde

Comment

Beleive it or not try it without pho. It tastes better by itself. Too many flavors ruins the complex taste of the cafe
                      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextAZN View Post
                        time for you to join us an our coffee shop escapade in San Jose.. lol

me, Wes and Kane ... wed3k an 4cylpower hit the coffee shops once in a while.
                        Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        the coffee shop is an experience!
                        Yeah when are we going again? And we gotta hit up another Bar too, there is a really interesting one off Brokaw near the Fry's.

My swap thread
                        Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by tommi View Post
                          Beleive it or not try it without pho. It tastes better by itself. Too many flavors ruins the complex taste of the cafe
                          yup, nothing like iced sweetened soy milk to quench your thirst.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                            Yeah when are we going again? And we gotta hit up another Bar too, there is a really interesting one off Brokaw near the Fry's.
                            my may month is packed however im in cupertino more often so san jose isnt that far away.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by tommi View Post
                              all u do is push the strainer down lightly and the caf'e will drip down into the condensed milk. i'd say the amount of milk thats already there should be about, 4tsp. then u pour in the ice and a little water. and stir it up and drink. in the asian gerocery stores they sell a premix packet. that u just pour hot water into and stir. u should look into buying those. u will get ur fix and u cant fuck up! they are cheap for like 50 packs. Viet Pride!

Comment

Working...
                              X