Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Octane Questions Regarding Your Mods & Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not noticed a substantial difference between the 87 and 91 offered in my area.

Even with running the numbers. But still, there is a price difference and that's what I watch.

I run 87, did on my other two CB's always have and until I have a major issue as a result will continue to.

life is good.

Comment

The F22A1/4/6 are designed for 87 octane. The ECU is tuned for 87 octane. There really is no benefit to be had for running anything higher. Chances are, if you see a difference with a higher octane fuel, it's because either a) you're driving more carefully, because you expect better results (self-fulfilling prophecy), or b) there is something wrong with your engine.

Higher octane fuel is only used in cars that run higher compression or forced induction. It is not necessary for our low-compression, naturally aspirated motors.

Comment

For the life of me, I could never figure out why my SE always got way better mileage with 93 octane knowing the compression was only 8.5:1 or so (somewhere in that ball park). 'til this day it still puzzles me. I mean, I used both 87 and 93, and I drove the car the same as far as I could tell for months on end. Maybe it was the additives as someone mentioned prior.

Edit: 8.8:1.
        Last edited by Straight Success; 04-09-2011, 09:13 PM.
        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I really like to run 93, however all the stations around me are dropping to 91. I run the 91 now, and get around 30 mpg. I'm not highly modified, I/H/E and some other bolt ons with a port and polish and 3 angle valve job. It's just under 200whp.

Even if I'm beating the crap out of my car I never get less than 26 mpg.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
            Even if I'm beating the crap out of my car I never get less than 26 mpg.
            this. h22s are the greatest.
            To-Do List for Today
            Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              The F22A1/4/6 are designed for 87 octane. The ECU is tuned for 87 octane. There really is no benefit to be had for running anything higher. Chances are, if you see a difference with a higher octane fuel, it's because either a) you're driving more carefully, because you expect better results (self-fulfilling prophecy), or b) there is something wrong with your engine.

Higher octane fuel is only used in cars that run higher compression or forced induction. It is not necessary for our low-compression, naturally aspirated motors.
              someone who understands =)
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
              X