what should my sellers fee be??? %-wise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should my sellers fee be??? %-wise

my aunt in law(not very fond of), is trying to sell her 2004 ssr.

she offered me 5%, but i would like more. what is a standard sellers fee? i have taken all the photos, edited them to make them a little prettier, uploaded them and posted on sites.

Even if she sells it pretty low ($20k-ish), you'd still get plenty of money for what you did.
    Unless you REALLY prettied the pictures up, you shouldn't have worked more than 10 hours tops. That's $100/hour.

If you feel like your time and work it worth more, ask for more.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Oh man, I didn't spend anywhere near that much time. I guess it's a principal thing with me. She doesn't need the money at all. She just figured, if she doesn't have to do any of the work, why not sell it. It's just sitting in storage. So for me, I don't see it as making an easy $1000, i see it at making her $20k... Which for various reasons, I'm not happy about at all.

It's almost worth it to me to not sell it, not get the 5%, and just tell her to shove it.(politely of course)

I was just wondering what you guys would charge. I didn't do a lot of work, but that's not her problem. Just wondering if it would be out of line to expect or ask for something like 10%?

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
        It's almost worth it to me to not sell it, not get the 5%, and just tell her to shove it.(politely of course)
        so giving family the proverbial finger is almost worth not getting 1000?

grow up a little?
        To-Do List for Today
        Be Awesome

Comment

Here's one of the pictures I took. I did the best I could. I'm not a photographer and this is a ssr. One can only do so much.

I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but I tried to jazz it up a little in ps. Not to mention, I took these with my cellphone.

Comment

Originally posted by texasvtak View Post
            so giving family the proverbial finger is almost worth not getting 1000?

grow up a little?
            Who are you to judge? You have no idea about this woman and our situation as a "family". She's an inlaw, I have no emotional ties or loyalty to her.

Comment

Screw family ties, especially if she's an aunt.

When dealing with family (outside of my mom, dad, sister, and brother), I either do it for free and expect nothing in exchange. Or charge a comparable price to what they would be charged if they had someone else do it.

And I always look at them and say, you know me, obviously trust me, and feel safe with having me do the job. It's your choice to have someone else do the it, no skin off my back!

BTW, 15%, not a penny less.
              Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by frootloops View Post
                Screw family ties, especially if she's an aunt.

When dealing with family (outside of my mom, dad, sister, and brother), I either do it for free and expect nothing in exchange. Or charge a comparable price to what they would be charged if they had someone else do it.

And I always look at them and say, you know me, obviously trust me, and feel safe with having me do the job. It's your choice to have someone else do the it, no skin off my back!

BTW, 15%, not a penny less.
                Thank you. This is what I wanted to hear. It's just a business transaction. I don't owe her a "hook up" because of who she is. I'm sure she knows I should be getting more than 5%, which is she asked if i wanted to do it. Any 3rd party dealer would probably charge more. I'm just trying to find out what a seller deserves, I don't care who she is to me.

And like you said, if she doesn't want to give me what the job is worth, she can take it somewhere else. I don't need it.

Comment

No problem.
                  I mean there has to be a reason why she asked you and not someone else, right?

Why doesn't she do it?
                  I'm think it's probably because she has no clue OR doesn't want to waste her time doing it. I've came across this MANY times when doing stuff for family and friends, such as selling my sister-in-law, and brother's cell phones, they just didn't want to spend the time cleaning them up or putting forth the effort to sell them.

So make it worth your time.
                  Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Did she tell you up front what you'd get for helping her? Did you agree to it?
                    Negotiations are usually conducted BEFORE services are rendered... and it's not exactly fair to change the price of your efforts halfway through.

I'd say that $1000 for taking a few pictures, uploading them on the internet, and I assume emailing, phoning, and maybe meeting people in person to sell a vehicle that you don't own (and you have none of your own money invested in) is a pretty damn good deal. If you spend a full 20 hours of your own time working to sell this truck for $1000, you will have earned $50 an hour.
                    Somethin' tells me Trader Joe's ain't paying you THAT much!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Did she tell you up front what you'd get for helping her? Did you agree to it?
                      Negotiations are usually conducted BEFORE services are rendered... and it's not exactly fair to change the price of your efforts halfway through.

I'd say that $1000 for taking a few pictures, uploading them on the internet, and I assume emailing, phoning, and maybe meeting people in person to sell a vehicle that you don't own (and you have none of your own money invested in) is a pretty damn good deal. If you spend a full 20 hours of your own time working to sell this truck for $1000, you will have earned $50 an hour.
                      Somethin' tells me Trader Joe's ain't paying you THAT much!
                      Hahaha, ouch man. Youre right though. Tjs doesn't pay that well. I'm just stubborn I suppose. This money is not life or death to me. I don't need it, so I want to make it worth my while to do it. I will be putting in very little effort. But my concern is not what time I will be spending, it's the fact that if she wants to be completely lazy, its going to cost.

She bought this car thinking it was going to be an appreciating investment, and it totally wasn't, and I find that very funny. There is a lot behind the animosity towards her, but I do have my reasons.

And about making a deal, one was never made. She threw out, how about 5%. I never actually gave her a response. I sorta shrugged it off. I have posted it, but she is unaware of it. I'm not going to tell her I've done anything until an agreement is made, in writing on how much I'm going to get.

Shes a stickler for the rules when it's to her benefit only. My sister borrowed some money for a van. A couple thousand, nothing huge. And my aunt made her sign a contract stating how much and how often she would make payments Yet when it comes to figuring out how much she will pay me, she doesn't seem to care as much about specifics. And I know, it's up to me to make her sign. But if we are "family", why would she try to play me like that? If she doesn't show me the respect through a business transaction, I'm not going to show her any.

Comment

I say draw up a contract, and perhaps even have it notarized. Just to be on the safe size, if she could get shady on you.

But yeah... the SSR is a cool truck, but it was not very well received. And those flames are UGLY! Did it come like that, or did she mod it? I've seen red, black, and yellow ones around here, all flame-less. Fancy paintjobs usually decrease the value, and make it less appealing to a buyer. I'd kinda like an SSR if I had a place for one in my life... but I'd pass on that one! If I wanted something totally impractical that was a market flop... I'd buy a Prowler.

But yeah... don't shrug off the money by being stubborn. That's an easy $1000. Even if she doesn't go any higher. If you don't do it, she'll pay someone else to, and she'll still be lazy. If she's going to be lazy anyhow, why shouldn't YOU be the one to benefit, rather than someone else?

Plus, this is the USA. Our entire economy is based on people being lazy and paying others to do things for them! Cooking, shopping, household repairs, automotive repairs, manufacturing, selling, design, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          I say draw up a contract, and perhaps even have it notarized.
                          Bingo ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

i got mah duhgree in bidness for a reesun u kno! (well, one of em... the other is in psykolology...)

Comment

true true. i guess ill swallow my pride and just take her for what i can. business is business.

and about the paint job, she bought it that way. shes one of those people that gets told its a "custom" paint job... and she thinks wow, thats a good investment. she is a sellers dream. too much money and not enough brain.
                              Last edited by DrLove'sKuDang; 03-31-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X