No announcement yet.

its official...rota wheels are for suicidal people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lightweight cast wheel will usually be much weaker than a lightweight forged wheel. The real flimsy looking spoke wheels started gaining popularity as the various companies developed reasonable forging processes. They realized that they could make wheels with thin spokes (which were lightweight and great for brake cooling) by using stronger forged metals. Casting processes have improved significantly as well over the years (some companies are better than others here), but they still won't be as strong as forged wheels. Still, you can find some very flimsy-looking spokes on cast wheels... just like the ones on that Civic. They are a cast copy of a design that was originally forged.

Comment

for example on my jeep i only run steelies cuz the don't break a ez just bend if hit too hard i had bent one on my jeep once cuz i hit a tall curb but the wheel was fine still held air.

and yes alot of aftermarket rims are cheaply made but i have yet to see one break personaly but have seen factory rims break on a car hit a curb hard as hell.

thaks kinda why i want to get steelie for my car they may weight alot but it will look cool crager v5 16x7 0 offset would look sick
      back at it again

Comment

Can't go wrong with stock. But that is tragic to have happen.
        My CB For Sale

Comment

It's funny. I've had aftermarket rims from ROH, Falken, American Eagle, SSR just to name a few.

The only ones I had issues with were the Falkens. They were 18s and they had some bent lips, but they were still true.

Most other sets of wheels I've changed to have been other OEM wheels, and never had a problem there.

I've never bought a set of knock off rims or light weight ones. But that Weds video really does put things into perspective and has definetly made me wiser now, for choosing my next set of wheels.

Comment

indeed oem rims ftw lol

i have rsx rims and mazda rims to put on my car lol
            back at it again

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
              I am pretty sure that is not an EK civic.
              EK is a hatch, that doesn't look like a hatch.

And proof please that the broken wheel is Rota.
              YES!

i hate people using chassis codes all wrong

" hey check out my EG "

" uhhh thats a coupe so its an EJ... "

i gusse we don't have that problem around here because we're all CB

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                All kinds of wheels break

Here are some broken ASAs (made by BBS)

aww man... why'd you have to go and post these. peep the sig! oh no! lol!

i used to have rota tarmac 3's on my 07 wrx and they stayed solid and true through three years of daily driving through the wonderfully maintained streets of los angeles, the occasional open track day at willow springs and a few spirited drives through the surrounding canyon roads (i did mean spirited drive, not racing. i've seen one too many canyon racing accidents). as a matter of fact, many suby owners and even evo owners have been going the rota route because of the price. i've seen pictures of cracked rota grids, but i've ALSO seen pictures of cracked volk te-37's. like many have pointed out, it's not isolated to one particular brand.

the OP says they were dicking around. if they showed that little concern for their cars, it probably increased the chances of this occurring. the wheel may have been bent to begin with and they didn't even care because it "looked sick" or whatever.

let's be safe. peace.
                1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Still, you can find some very flimsy-looking spokes on cast wheels... just like the ones on that Civic. They are a cast copy of a design that was originally forged.
                  that's very interesting! i never thought of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                    YES!

i hate people using chassis codes all wrong

" hey check out my EG "

" uhhh thats a coupe so its an EJ... "

i gusse we don't have that problem around here because we're all CB
                    idk and personally i dont really care for code, around here most people say codes by year and not get all technical about the chassis .. example

EK for 97-00 i think

EG for 92-96

EF 89-91

etc etc...

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
                    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by JaberCB7 View Post
                      idk and personally i dont really care for code, around here most people say codes by year and not get all technical about the chassis .. example

EK for 97-00 i think

EG for 92-96

EF 89-91

etc etc...
                      1988 is also EF.
                      and EG is 92-95

Comment

I'd like to commend the driver on his excellent parking skills.
                        90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

1988 is also EF.
                          and EG is 92-95
                          yea, but you know what i mean right?

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

just got my Rota wheels in the mail an hour ago... Im a little scared to put them on the car after this thread

Comment

im sure you will be ok. witch wheels did you get?

Comment

just got my Rota wheels in the mail an hour ago... Im a little scared to put them on the car after this thread
                                with proper tire mount and balance, lugnut torque and suspension alignment you'll be good.

Originally posted by JaberCB7 View Post
                                im sure you will be ok. witch wheels did you get?
                                x2

Comment

Working...
                                X