Thermofluids problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermofluids problem

I had this unit conversions test today in Thermofluids...I messed ONE problem up, can anyone on here solve it?

The kinetic energy per unit mass is given by the formula ke=(V^2)/2. If the velocity is 20 m/sec, write the kinetic energy in units of KJ/kg.

I was so damn close but got it wrong and didn't pass the test so I have to take it again every week until I pass. First problem I nailed, third problem I blew through...just this problem I couldn't figure out. He gives us 10 min for all three. You either pass or you fail, there's no partial credit, have to get all three which SUCKS!

For kicks here's the other two

1. In one application the power output of a turbine is given by W(dot) = m(dot)delta(h). If m(dot)= 5lbm/sec and delta(h)=200 Btu/lbm, determine the turbine power in units of Horsepower. (1HP=550 ft-lbf/sec) and (778ft-lbf=1Btu)

3. The kinetic energy per unit mass is given by the formula ke=(V^2)/2. If the velocity is 20ft/sec, write the kinetic energy in units of ft-lbf/lbm

use GC=32.2 ft-lbm/lbf-sec^2

lbm is pound mass and english unit of measurement
    lbf is pound force, also an english unit
    as well as Btu....British Thermal Unit
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 03-10-2011, 11:37 PM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Give me a minute.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

First let's work the units.

What's a Joule? It's the unit of work, engergy, etc. What's work? Force through distance or the integral of pdV. In the SI system, force is in Newtons and distance is in meters.

So, we want out answer to end up in N*m/kg (kg being the mass). I didn't work it out, but if you just solve the equation and put it over 1 kg, that should be the energy or work per 1 unit of mass.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
        Give me a minute.
        you ONLY have 10 if you want it to count for credit haha jk

member's ride thread
        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

First let's work the units.

What's a Joule? It's the unit of work, engergy, etc. What's work? Force through distance or the integral of pdV. In the SI system, force is in Newtons and distance is in meters.

So, we want out answer to end up in N*m/kg (kg being the mass). I didn't work it out, but if you just solve the equation and put it over 1 kg, that should be the energy or work per 1 unit of mass.
          so 200 m^2/sec^2 gets multiplied by 1/1000 KJ/KG? so the answer is .2 KJ/KG?

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post

The kinetic energy per unit mass is given by the formula ke=(V^2)/2. If the velocity is 20 m/sec, write the kinetic energy in units of KJ/kg.
            Bold = key words.

That's right.

200 J/kg = .2 kJ/kg.
            Last edited by Straight Success; 03-11-2011, 12:24 AM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

1. In one application the power output of a turbine is given by W(dot) = m(dot)delta(h). If m(dot)= 5lbm/sec and delta(h)=200 Btu/lbm, determine the turbine power in units of Horsepower. (1HP=550 ft-lbf/sec) and (778ft-lbf=1Btu)
              The dots are above each variable right?

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Bold = key words.

That's right.

200 J/kg = .2 kJ/kg.
                ugh, man! I had 200, was the first one done in class and then he gave me a funny look and said look it over one more time...so I did and then that confused the hell out of me b/c I thought 1m^/s^2 was 1 kJ/kg. but I fogot that kilo means 1000 and thats why I was off...all I had to do was divide by 1000. Oh well at least now I know.

The dots are above each variable right?
                correct, its m^dot and W^dot right above each variable....sorry about the late response, I was wiring my old stock honda stereo in my beater DD. 13 wires each individually soldered and shrinkwrapped for the main stereo plug sucked!

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

ugh, man! I had 200, was the first one done in class and then he gave me a funny look and said look it over one more time...so I did and then that confused the hell out of me b/c I thought 1m^/s^2 was 1 kJ/kg. but I fogot that kilo means 1000 and thats why I was off...all I had to do was divide by 1000. Oh well at least now I know.

correct, its m^dot and W^dot right above each variable....sorry about the late response, I was wiring my old stock honda stereo in my beater DD. 13 wires each individually soldered and shrinkwrapped for the main stereo plug sucked!
                  You are one talented woman. Impressive actually. Not because you're a woman, but the fact that every time I read one of your post you are so damn determined and action oriented.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

You are one talented woman. Impressive actually. Not because you're a woman, but the fact that every time I read one of your post you are so damn determined and action oriented.
                    I'm a dude lol...there's no women in engineering...haha

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I'm a dude lol...there's no women in engineering...haha
                      I have a bunch in a few of my classes. Some beautiful ones too. About damn time.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

lower level

I had some in my lower level classes, but they are all gone now. There aren't many in ECE, but I know some in ME, Civil, and CS.

I had to take some random chem class last semester and WOW, thats a loaded degree if you are looking for a girl with a brain and some looks to boot.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Working...
                        X