Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were popular mods for tuners in the early to mid 90's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drummerwill View Post
    haha, thanks for all the responses! so for the most part the early to mid 90's tuners were mostly what we would consider "riced" now? since there was a lack of performance parts.

I was talking with a guy at the junkyard the other day and he was saying many people did hood spacers because they would cool down the engine bay from a cowl effect.

I was thinking of trying to keep my CB7 to that era of tuning, but im not all too much on the altezza lights, or body kits, or cutting springs. lol... I dont even like spraying nitrous. haha...
    There really weren't many tuners, and there wasn't enough aftermarket to make anything what we consider rice now. Altezza lights didn't even hit the market until 1998 when the Altezza came out. Most of the guys that are on here now, would have been driving/modifying almost 20 year old cars then if they'd been around, and that means early to mid 70's cars.
    Almost nobody bought a brand new Honda and then modified it, it just wasn't done.
    All the people that are now tuners, back then would have been hot rodders. We were all about bigger carbs, dual exhaust, open air filter covers, It was all DOHC, because it was all V8s.
    The import culture was small and very clique oriented. Even more so than today. Mostly older BMW 2002s and small European cars. The first modified Honda I ever saw up close was a 73 Civic, and all the performance parts had been made or modified by my friend and her bf (who had a WALL of plaques from Porsche and Mercedes for his excellence in something to do with those cars and their mechanical issues). It had a header that came out of the front of the car and wrapped back under it somehow, I wish I had a picture. That tiny little car with it's 1300 cc was making 100 whp N/A and was a marvelous thing to see at the local SCCA races.

Comment

SAFC controller, indiglo gauges, GT Steering wheel. hahaha!
      MadLab Racing
      Southern Maryland

Comment

I had my Accord before they made altezza tails for them.

Those weren't readily available until about 2001-2002.

Comment

This guy was flossin the NSX in one of his vids.

I remember when APC was THE go to place for anything 'euro' and you could literally walk into PepBoys and buy those colored dash kits..but they were stupidly expensive .

Anyways the things that were big back then were:

- Light up nozzles (I had gone thru two sets one white and one that actually changed color with a control box that came with it).

- Clears (EVERYONE rocked those)

- Altezzas (Mike they came out in 02 actually for the Accords)

- Terminator wings

- R badge was another big thing along with the Type R stick on decal

- Gauges (even if you weren't boosted you still rocked em )
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice View Post
            i see some people in here are confusing "early to mid 90s" with "late 90s to early 2000s"..

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice View Post
              I think I hit it pretty well........ even though my list was short

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post

This guy was flossin the NSX in one of his vids.

I remember when APC was THE go to place for anything 'euro' and you could literally walk into PepBoys and buy those colored dash kits..but they were stupidly expensive .

Anyways the things that were big back then were:

- Light up nozzles (I had gone thru two sets one white and one that actually changed color with a control box that came with it).

- Terminator wings

How about taillights painted white with little circles not painted over the bulbs

I bought a dc sport windshield decal at the store in the pheasant lane mall (remember that store Henry) and put it on my stock accord... That wasn't the 90s thought

Comment

I'm pretty sure quick disconnect hubs became a hot item in the 90s.

Comment

The talking alarm was the IT alarm to get .. lol
                    Pleas step away from the car!!!
                    Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post

- Terminator wings

Almost none of these items were available in the early 90's. the OP wants to know what was being done to cars then, not what got done to those cars later.

Originally posted by HATCHing View Post
                      The talking alarm was the IT alarm to get .. lol
                      Pleas step away from the car!!!
                      I remember the first time I heard one. I was delivering a roll of carpet with another guy (I worked for a major carpet company then), and the customer had a 53 Buick in the garage he wanted us to put the carpet near. When we walked into the garage we thought the old man had told my partner to step away from the car, and my partner must have looked at him funny, because he got real quick with the explanation and let us check it out. I remember shortly after that they came out with an alarm that screamed like a woman in a parking lot (THAT was annoying) and one you could record your own message on. I had a buddy that farted for his message. Always a laugh when it got set off.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                        Almost none of these items were available in the early 90's. the OP wants to know what was being done to cars then, not what got done to those cars later.
                        OOH

in that case.. GTS headlight covers were all the rage.
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Borbets?
                          Fogs.
                          GTS headlight/taillight covers
                          fender flares
                          Chrome shit
                          Light up neon plate frames?
                          Flames.

Idk.

Comment

Wow, lots of unique odds and ends with appearances. I remember a guy in my neighborhood driving an old cavalier (the boxy kind) and he had 2 offest racing stripes on them. but that's all i really remember other than cops always being at the house for these "crazy people" in front yard at night. Later on i learned about the effects of excessive alcohol on people. hahaha
                            90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

Comment

Originally posted by True-BlueCB7 View Post
                              Borbets?
                              Fogs.
                              GTS headlight/taillight covers
                              fender flares
                              Chrome shit
                              Light up neon plate frames?
                              Flames.

Idk.
                              I think this is a little more in-line from what I remember about my old car magazines that had tacky add-ons in back. Chrome flares were a biggie, as were the headlight/tail light covers. (Although to this day I still think they look awesome on certain vehicles.)

Comment

yup.. i used to love the chrome fender trim, chrome "rocker panels", and the chrome trim down the doors (i actually had for a little while when i first got my accord.. hah..)

Comment

Working...
                                X