Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were popular mods for tuners in the early to mid 90's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were popular mods for tuners in the early to mid 90's?

Only being a few months older than the 90LX I drive, I spent more time riding my bike, building with legos, and playing N64 to pay attention to the car scene.
    I've recently been interested in doing mods to the car that would be appropriate for the early 90's timeframe, but I havent had much luck in finding any information on what was commonly done to cars then or the style in aftermarket rims, etc.

If anyone knows of a good place for me to find some info or has some stuff they'd like to share I'd love to know! Thanks!
    90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

LOL, back before ecu tuning was possible, people has to put all kinds of gauges on their dashes. Remember Vtec controllers anyone???
    And body kits, and altezza tails.

yeah.

me too.
    Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

Let's see...... 16s were the wheels to have and 17s were just coming on the scene. 3 & 5 spokes very poular. Touring wings were huge..... before altezas, the all clears you see pop up from time to time were on everything. Multi colored tribal style paint jobs were the shit. That's off the top of my head......

EDIT....
      paint jobs like so:

wings:

wheels:

and
      Last edited by 90accords; 02-26-2011, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Everything you see in the first Fast and The Furious.... only worse.

Keep an Eye on my Coupe. Click the Pic

Comment

Racing stripes
          WalMart fog lights
          Shogun bodykit
          Clear lights/taillights
          Big exhaust tip on oem muffler
          Cut oem springs to lower car for most people
          not many intake or exhaust in the market yet

B-series swap was getting hot
          Cold air intake was coming out

Altezza isn't out yet
          Fast and furious not out yet
          Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Originally posted by HATCHing View Post
            Racing stripes
            WalMart fog lights
            Shogun bodykit
            Clear lights/taillights
            Big exhaust tip on oem muffler
            Cut oem springs to lower car for most people
            not many intake or exhaust in the market yet

B-series swap was getting hot
            Cold air intake was coming out

Altezza isn't out yet
            Fast and furious not out yet
            can't believe I forgot the racing stripes...... also, I added some pics to my above post to illustrate some of the styles.....

Comment

The 90s were awesome in some ways, but terrible in others.

I for one totally dig well done retro/old skool 70s,80s,90s themes. Hopefully they will kill off the Fast and Furious trend eventually.

I love 80s and 90s minitrucks, like posted above.

There was so much cool stuff in the 90s. Awesome stereo installs, bright colours and graphics, crazy paint, insane rim styles (but not sizes), and just all sorts of crazy shit.

Comment

Whatever was USDM.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

I remember my brother just installing sound systems including a huge subwoofer in the trunk but other people where doing glass packs in their exhaust along with something called a cherry bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post
                    Whatever was USDM.
                    this.

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                      I remember my brother just installing sound systems including a huge subwoofer in the trunk but other people where doing glass packs in their exhaust along with something called a cherry bomb.
                      "ch ch ch ch ch cherry bomb " (the runaways)

hammer rims too

i remember the wings
                      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

13 inch Dayton spokes with stretched tires and offset that let them stick out from the fenders, three spokes, phantom tops with the diamond in the back. Most imports only got appearance mods unless you had a lot of extra money or the ability to make your own performance parts or knew someone that could.

You have to understand, in the early 90's, import cars still weren't very big in the car scene yet in most places. There was the SCCA if you wanted to race, but people were still mostly modding V8 domestics and mini trucks. I remember a bunch of us laughing the first time a Honda showed up at the drag strip, and then we all STFU when he got under 12 seconds with a 1.6 liter. The Acura NSX was a 14 second car in the early 90's, the Prelude was only turning high 15s and the 91 Supra turbo only ran 15.6. Most people were modding older cars (like we do now) and what they were working with was even slower than that. (An 87 Civic Hatch only ran 19s from the factory).
                        In the meantime, domestics were making V8s that were quicker and had a LOT of aftermarket parts available for them. I lived literally a mile from the original JEGS, and when I first got into imports, they didn't have anything you could use in an import except fluids and n2o kits. The guy behind the counter literally lol'd when I came in to check on parts for an MGB instead of the 400 CID '68 Catalina or the built 350 '70 LeMans I usually came in for.

Comment

Order some backissues of the top tuning magazines. Super Street has been around since 1996.
                          http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea..._modified.html

Comment

Wings, altezzas, racing strips, sound systems and the almighty Driver License!!!
                            I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                            Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            My coupe!!!
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                            Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

Watch Boyz N the Hood.

There are some pretty righteous 90s tuners in there. Especially that red Hyundai and that white BMW. Or, fuck, play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, lol.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                              X