Garage options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage options

Ok, my canvas carport finally bit the dust. The wind storm we had around here yesterday tore it apart.

SO, rather than drop another $300 on that, I figure I should just do it right and build a solid structure! Well... have one built, anyway!

So, I've been looking around online for steel garages, and a small one seems to be about $3000 installed. I haven't looked into wooden structures.
    I figured I'd ask on here to see if anyone had any advice before I committed to anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

$3000 installed is pretty damn cheap, what size is that?
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Go the Geoff way:
      Build it yourself!
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
        $3000 installed is pretty damn cheap, what size is that?
        http://www.gaport.com/price/sheets/njvgarage10price.htm
        10x20... 6' high walls, 8'10" peak.
        It's more like $2500, but my ground isn't totally level, so I'm sure I'll incur additional fees for the ground to be leveled. HOPEFULLY it could be built around my driveway with my car in it! Not sure if I need a permit, or how much that would cost.

That's the best option I've seen so far. I'm hoping for better, but that's really not too bad.

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
        Go the Geoff way:
        Build it yourself!
        I don't have the skill, tools, or time to do that... I'd end up with a collapsed garage on top of my car! I know my limits.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I don't have the skill, tools, or time to do that... I'd end up with a collapsed garage on top of my car! I know my limits.
          Haha a humble man is a smart man!

I would go with as big of a garage as you can afford at the moment. You know that you will end up cramming tools and boxes in there along with the car, so I would plan for extra space.
          Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
          Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
          Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
          Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
          Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
          Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

My yard is only about 50' wide, and I want to stick it next to my house... the back yard slopes sharply right after the house, and is basically a swampland. I wanted to eventually put a 2 car garage in the very back (it's 150' deep), but that would require some major building-up of the ground to ensure it doesn't flood!

That little one is really all I'm going to be able to fit, sadly. My carport got pretty crammed with tools...

Comment

If you call him he will build. Or just supply him the alchy.
              Henry R
              Koni/Neuspeed
              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
              1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
              Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
              made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Well I could get you a real good discount on lumber.. I only pay 3% over cost. I drive truck for YBC a pa only building supply company. I could price what it would cost for a whole garage package for you if you want?. Otherwise I would buy the metal one. And yes anything new renovations requires a permit. Usually not that mush of a hassle though
                Last edited by buckysaccord93; 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM.
                You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
                Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Damn, I'm like 10 minutes from PA!

Yeah, from the sounds of it, I'm not going to beat that metal garage deal...

Comment

metal buildings are the most $$$. cost wise its...concrete>wood>metal

try a wooden one. youll have the most options for customizing it with like the shape/size & built in's.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Damn, I'm like 10 minutes from PA!

Yeah, from the sounds of it, I'm not going to beat that metal garage deal...
                      Yeah, That's a real good deal. I would jump on. Plus those metal buildings last forever if there taken care of.
                      You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
                      Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

also dont forget you have to pour a concrete pad 1st

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

I have a slab already. Basically, I assume anything built would just need to be anchored at the 4 corners with concrete poured in the holes. I may be wrong, though... I'm no expert here.

Comment

try this

http://www.state.nj.us/njbusiness/li.../construction/

hope it helps
                            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Thanks Bob.
                              I think the permits and such would be from my township regarding residential construction. I don't even know where the line is drawn as far as "temporary" and "permanent" would be. A metal structure may still classify as temporary!
                              I asked my neighbor, and his response was "I have no idea... who's gonna tell on you anyway?"

Comment

Working...
                              X