Tint ticket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tint ticket...

So after having tint for 5+ years, I got stopped yesterday for speeding (53 in 35) and he had to pick on me about my tint. First time I've ever been written 2 tickets at the same time too. Sorta felt special. haha,

Thing is, it is legal except for the back window which is 20% but I got a ticket simply because I didn't have the labels on each window stating all the tint specs.

So now I have to get the whole car re-tinted (because I'm not driving around with nude windows) before the court date or he'll slap me with a $200+ fine. Lovely.

Just wanted to give anybody a heads up because I didn't know you had to have those tint spec stickers put on. And none of the installers ever mentioned it to me (glad they're looking out for me!)

/end rant

On the plus side, the local shop said they can redo the whole car for $175, AND they have a customer's MINT NSX parked in front of their store, almost took pics to post!!!! Made me want one alot more.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

NC or SC? Please dont say NC, lol.

I thought that place was pretty lax and chill. Apparently not. Here in Missouri, tint is only $10 and it's a non-moving violation and you dont have to have "spec stickers".

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Haven't seen a "tint" thread in a while haha. That sucks man tint is always going to be something that you'll get picked on for... they always find something wrong.

Comment

Why not keep the tint and go to a shop and just have them slap some spec stickers on it?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
          NC or SC? Please dont say NC, lol.

I thought that place was pretty lax and chill. Apparently not. Here in Missouri, tint is only $10 and it's a non-moving violation and you dont have to have "spec stickers".

This is SC, which is more lax than NC but I evidently got the wrong deputy. The shop told me they've had customers that got charged $200 for the whole car and some that were charged $200 per offending window. Evidently they make good business out of fixing illegal tint jobs.

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
          Why not keep the tint and go to a shop and just have them slap some spec stickers on it?
          The shop told me they COULD do that, but they are only allowed to sticker-fy a car if:

1. They did the tint
          2. The whole car was done at once

Since I've been broken into twice and moved around the state in between those, I have three different tint jobs so I won't find any shop that'll risk their money giving me stickers. The fee to businesses starts at $1,000.

Gotta look at the positive.....now all my tint will match perfectly. It was close before but not perfect. It saves me $150 to strip the tint myself so I have that fun job to look forward to.
          Last edited by 19dabeast85; 02-18-2011, 01:08 AM.
          My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

For one, SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!!!
            Two, wont striping the rear window ruin the defrost?
            Cappuccino Member #9<--- click for thread

^click for MRT^
            CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
            Coupe MRT

Comment

I hope I don't need those damn tint stickers in ohio bc I have never heard of them.

Comment

Originally posted by lilb_1979 View Post
                For one, SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!!!
                Two, wont striping the rear window ruin the defrost?
                Haha, I was cruising down a hill towards a gas station on fumes...accelerate going down to conserve fuel. The cop didn't care about that though. :P

The tint will pull right off the windows (already tested) then I'll clean any residue with ammonia and the defroster will be just fine. The only way one would strip the defroster off is trying to use a razor blade and that wouldn't work well on the curvature of the rear window and it's not needed for most tints.

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                I hope I don't need those damn tint stickers in ohio bc I have never heard of them.
                Every state is different but better check you local laws to be safe. A google search for your state and tint law usually brings it up, just make sure you click on a .gov site or law firm site.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Damn eversince I stopped fucking with window tint they got spec stickers for it? Does this apply to NYC?

Comment

were is what I found
                    http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...n/tinting.html

Window Tinting

There is an additional charge to check a vehicle with tinted windows. All windows with applications of after-factory window tinting must be checked during the safety inspection. (See exceptions below)
                    Windows may not be any darker than 35% visible light transmission. This standard is considered to be met if the window tint is no lower than 32% visible light transmission when measured by the station with a photometer.

Windshield tinting is allowed, however the combination of the factory tint and the after market tint cannot have a light transmittance of less than 32%. The tint on the windshield cannot extend more than five inches below the top of the windshield or below the AS1 line of the windshield, whichever is longer.

The window tinting restrictions apply without exception to the windshield of the vehicle. However, they do not apply to any other window of the following vehicle types:

A window of an excursion passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) a.

A window of a for-hire passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) b.

A window of a common carrier of passengers, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) c.

A window of a motor home, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) d2.

A window of an ambulance, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) f.

The rear window of a property-hauling vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (31).

A window of a limousine.

A window of a law enforcement vehicle.

A window of a multipurpose vehicle that is behind the driver of the vehicle. A multipurpose vehicle is a passenger vehicle that is designed to carry 10 or fewer passengers and either is constructed on a truck chassis or has special features designed for occasional off-road operation. A minivan and a pickup truck are multipurpose vehicles.

A window of a vehicle for which DMV has issued a medical exception permit.

Medical Exceptions - A person who suffers from a medical condition that causes the person to be photosensitive to visible light may obtain a medical exception permit. To obtain a permit, an applicant shall apply in writing to the Drivers Medical Evaluation Program and have his or her doctor complete the required medical evaluation form provided by DMV. The permit shall be valid for five years from the date of issue, unless the Drivers Medical Evaluation Program directs a shorter time. The renewal shall require a medical re-certification that the person continues to suffer from a medical condition requiring window tinting.

A person may receive no more than two medical exception permits that are valid at any one time. A permit issued under this subsection shall specify the vehicle to which it applies, the windows that may be tinted, and the permitted levels of tinting.

The permit shall be carried in the vehicle to which it applies when the vehicle is driven on a highway. DMV shall give a person who received a medical exception permit a sticker to place on the lower left-hand corner of the rear window of the vehicle to which it applies.

The sticker shall be designed to give prospective purchasers of the vehicle notice that the windows of the vehicle do not meet the requirements of G.S. 20-127 (b), and shall be placed between the window and the tinting when the tinting is installed.

DMV shall adopt rules regarding the specifications of the medical exception sticker. Failure to display the sticker is an infraction punishable by a two hundred dollar ($200) fine.

Comment

shouldve kept your tints recept. next time a cop bitches, wave it in his face

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                      01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                      93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                      93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

The cop is a dick for the tint ticket. Bad enough you got a pretty decent speeding ticket at the same time.

I got stopped one time in my B2200 for my clear tail lights. I had the proper coloured bulbs, but I didn't have red reflectors or any red on the back of my truck, which the (female) cop was whining about. It was 12:30 at night, on my way home from work, just driving down the road minding my own business. Cop passes me in the opposite direction and swings around and chases me down.

Bitches me out for the tail lights, and every other modification done to the truck...too low, no licence plate light, tint too dark, illegal aftermarket steering wheel, headlights too bright, front licence plate cover, clear marker lights, too loud exhaust....

So, I pulled out my handy little Legal Mods book that I had in the glovebox, showed it to her and said I followed all the guidelines to prevent situations like this. She was like "ugh, you have 7 days to fix everything I mentioned, or if I see you again, I'm taking the plates off your truck and you're walking home."

Fucking Cunt.

All I did was paint my tail lights red after that.

Comment

I wouldve told her off. cant stand when cops make threats like that

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                            shouldve kept your tints recept. next time a cop bitches, wave it in his face
                            The car's very first tint job was a cash deal with no receipt so no proof.
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

In maryland you can contest it by taking your car to the MVA and having a state trooper look at it

My tint was rated at 27% but im going to contest it before i rip it off

Its only on the rear windows which makes me mad

Comment

Working...
                              X