how do YOU drive stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do YOU drive stick?

basically the question is what is your interpretation of driving a stick shift the RIGHT WAY. What do you do when coming to a stop, turn corners, stop and go traffic driving, down shift, how do you shift in general, when parking, going uphill, going downhill, going up or down windy roads, parking up hill or down ect..

This is what I got from learning on my own:

I almost never downshift when comming to a stop, I just put it in neutral and coast on the brakes.

In case I need to pick up speed before I've slowed down completely I guesstimate what gear I need to go in to which usually works that or I just put it in to whatever gear it slides in to to continue moving.

In corners I usually slip it in to neutral as well and then put it in whatever gear I feel it should go in to it works most the time.

I've never driven on long winding roads or mountain roads. up or down hill.

Whatever little inclines I've driven on I drive as normal.

The hardest thing I've ever had to do was back up on a steep driveway... couldn't do it.

In stop and go traffic I alternate between neutral then shifting when there's long stops and holding the clutch down on first or second when it's quick stops or just cruising on first when it's just slow traffic.

I always use the clutch up shift, down shift, shift to neutral... whatever always use the clutch I've tried shifting without the clutch and it worked some times but other times it would grind and so I just stick to using the clutch to be safe.

When parking I just leave it in neutral with the hand brake on, it's pretty flat around here so I never really worry about it.

thats all I have. I would love to hear input from you guys.

*you could also add how you shift when racing on the track...
    Last edited by mappyCB7; 02-16-2011, 05:18 PM.

I think to answer your post fully it would be paragraphs long for each person.

But honestly every one drives differently, some aspects will be the same as pressing the brake pedal when you want to stop and gas pedal when you want to go, but the little stuff isn't what you would call important.

As long as you don't stall it or grind the gears in a manual your doing it right.
    Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

The legal way is to always have the car in the right gear depending on speed. As you slow down you downshift according to that speed. Its actaully because if you need to speed up or make emergency manuvers you are under power and dont have to decide which gear to use.

Keeping the car in neutral while slowing down burns more gas rather than leaving it in gear and coast down to a slower speed.

Comment

Originally posted by mappyCB7 View Post
        This is what I got from learning on my own:

I almost never downshift when comming to a stop, I just put it in neutral and coast on the brakes.
        I did this when I was first learning, I always downshift and keep it in a gear that keeps it in the powerband just incase.

In case I need to pick up speed before I've slowed down completely I guesstimate what gear I need to go in to which usually works that or I just put it in to whatever gear it slides in to to continue moving.
        I know by speed what gear to be in, this also helps in down shifing(knowing rpm/mph relation)

In corners I usually slip it in to neutral as well and then put it in whatever gear I feel it should go in to it works most the time.
        Once again down shift into power band

I've never driven on long winding roads or mountain roads. up or down hill.
        power band again
        Whatever little inclines I've driven on I drive as normal.

The hardest thing I've ever had to do was back up on a steep driveway... couldn't do it. practice

In stop and go traffic I alternate between neutral then shifting when there's long stops and holding the clutch down on first or second when it's quick stops or just cruising on first when it's just slow traffic. engine brake, keep in in 1st in stop and go, leave your self enough room so u dont have to stop, dont hold down your clutch for long that wears out your throw out bearing and wears the clutch fingers

I always use the clutch up shift, down shift, shift to neutral... whatever always use the clutch I've tried shifting without the clutch and it worked some times but other times it would grind and so I just stick to using the clutch to be safe. always use your clutch

thats all I have. I would love to hear input from you guys.

*you could also add how you shift when racing on the track...
        By power band i mean 2-3500rpm. So if i gotta go i can go.
        wat?

Comment

I always slow down by downshifting. More efficient.

If I get lazy I shift up and down without the clutch, without grinding. Easy once you figure it out.

Hills, downshift to maintain a steady speed.

Corners, I don't do anything different from driving in a straight line, except to downshift mid turn to power out if I had to slow down.

Basically, always keep it in gear unless you are about to stop.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Normal driving, I use the full travel of the clutch for every shift, usually shift around 3k rpms. Coasting to a stop; downshifting to be in the powerband, but leaving the clutch disengaged but then I'm immediately where I need to be if I can start going again, without the guess work (It also helps to know what your gear range is on the speedometer). Cornering usually is braking into the turn then engaging the clutch out of it.

If I'm driving aggressively, just enough clutch feathering on launch to keep the tires from breaking loose, minimal clutch travel on shifts, downshifting and engaging the clutch along with braking hard to stop or make a turn, corners are taken in the lowest possible gear, braking into it and then throttling out of it. I try not to speedshift at all in uzume since the Accord tranny wasn't really made for performance.

At the strip, feather it off the line just enough to keep from breaking loose, 1-2 shift at redline, 2-3 a little under redline. She doesn't hit 4th at the strip yet.

Parking: in the summer, first or reverse and the parking brake (makes it harder to move the car if all four tires won't roll), but in the winter, the rear brakes lock up if I use the parking brake, so I just park it in gear.

Comment

What do you do when coming to a stop,
              Keep it in gear until almost stopped. CLutch in, then brake.
              turn corners,
              Typically downshift midway through curve.
              stop and go traffic driving,
              Apply clutch,gas,brake as needed.
              down shift,
              Clutch in, down shift, clutch out.
              how do you shift in general,
              With the clutch and the shifter.
              when parking,
              E-brake.
              going uphill,
              Gas pedal.
              going downhill,
              Brake pedal.
              going up or down windy roads,
              What ever is needed.
              parking up hill or down ect..
              Apply E-brake and keep it in reverse.

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                I always slow down by downshifting. More efficient.

If I get lazy I shift up and down without the clutch, without grinding. Easy once you figure it out.

Hills, downshift to maintain a steady speed.

Corners, I don't do anything different from driving in a straight line, except to downshift mid turn to power out if I had to slow down.

Basically, always keep it in gear unless you are about to stop.
                I'd get my brakes fixed if downshifting is more efficent than using the brakes. Brake pads are far easier to change than a clutch.

Comment

I was going to say, WilliamW was correct, except that just because your not grinding gears or stalling doesn't mean your not doing damage.

My father, who was a mechanic his whole life, said with manuals, a lot of young people don't know how to drive correctly so they sit on the clutch and burn it out.

So don't be heavy on the clutch, and it will buy more time with it.

But yea, everyone drives differently.

Coasting in N is the easy way to do things but in all honestly proper up/down shifting is the correct way to drive, esp on hilly roads/on-off ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                    Keep it in gear until almost stopped. CLutch in, then brake.
                    Typically downshift midway through curve.
                    Apply clutch,gas,brake as needed.
                    Clutch in, down shift, clutch out.
                    With the clutch and the shifter.
                    E-brake.
                    Gas pedal.
                    Brake pedal.
                    What ever is needed.
                    Apply E-brake and keep it in reverse.
                    This sums it up but I also do the rev match. When down shifting and going into turns, tap the gas to keep the RPMs up for a nice and clean up shift when you come out the turn.
                    I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                    Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    My coupe!!!
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                    Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

How I drive stick:

Gas, brake, honk. Gas, brake, honk. Honk, honk, PUNCH. Gas, gas, gas.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                        I'd get my brakes fixed if downshifting is more efficent than using the brakes. Brake pads are far easier to change than a clutch.
                        210k miles on the original OEM clutch, with plenty of grip left. I'm not too worried about it. Plus if your brakes do go out, its a good skill to have.

Never mind when I'm bored I run 1st gear up to 6k, drop it in 2nd and dump the clutch, spinning the tires.

Comment

Originally posted by daheavyking View Post
                          This sums it up but I also do the rev match. When down shifting and going into turns, tap the gas to keep the RPMs up for a nice and clean up shift when you come out the turn.
                          I always rev match... its just become normal to me when i downshift. Doesn't everyone though? Its so much smoother...

Comment

Originally posted by 604_SE View Post
                            I always rev match... its just become normal to me when i downshift. Doesn't everyone though? Its so much smoother...
                            Man thats so second nature for me I forgot to mention it. Every downshift is rev matched

Comment

Thanks guys. I've been watching how to's and the main pois I saw are:

*There's less stress on the engine and drive line when you coast to a stop in neutral.

*knowing your speed is crucial. Thats how you know what gear to go in to.

*DO NOT ride the clutch.

*When driving up hill, give a little more gas and move feet quickly, don't panic! and Practice makes perfect.

*DON"T ride the clutch. (gas and clutch at the same time for a long time I'm sure you all know but just emphasizing)

*When parking leave it in gear especially if up (first) or down hill (reverse) but on level ground it's not crucial.

I also know that in a driving test not down shifting when slowing down will get you a giant fail. Thankfully mine was in an auto... piece o cake.

Comment

Working...
                              X