I've spent way too much money on my car recently..smh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've spent way too much money on my car recently..smh

I remember when i use to blow loads of cash on my 1s cb and didnt even give a shit because all the money was spent on mods and not maintenance(fucked up priorities back then).

Well with my CG all i do now is spend money on repairs and maintenance and its annoying as fuck. It just hit 100k so it started to get finickey and I was ok with doing whats necessary but I just got pissed off after thinking about all the money/time i spent on the car in the pass 2 - 3 weeks.

I just got it new plugs, wire, coil, distributor cap/rotor, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, both vtec gaskets, radiator flush, driver side axle, heater core hoses,new radiator cap, 4 brand new falken tires (today) and then when i got home I noticed that i have a hairline crack on the radiator.

It wasnt there before and Im sure the new radiator cap changed the pressure in the cooling system which caused the crack. I wished i had found this out early to have it replaced today instead of 8pm at night when i have to work 10 hour shifts for the rest of the week.

I guess i should be happy i can afford to fix all this stuff and stop whining

p.s. Forgot i had to buy some engine oil dye and black light to pinpoint my oil leak because tracing it the traditional way was taking too long and wasnt effective for me.

/rant
    Last edited by Gemini; 02-15-2011, 04:45 PM.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

It actually doesn't sound like a lot of problem fixes, as it is regular interval maintenance.

I mean the car does have 100k.

So now that you've replaced all of these items, you should be good for quite a while.

Are you going to change the tranny fluid???

Comment

Yea I know just annoying regardless but im nervous about the tranny even though it needs to changed. We'll see how I feel about that one.
      1993 Accord LX - Sold
      93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

It's ironic how people bitch about doing repairs to their car, which make it run and drive better, but never complain about modding their car and spending tons on it.

Then they go to sell it for top dollar all riced out, but needs a headgasket, tranny,windshield,tires and ask $5000 for it, when someone will have the same well maintained car for the same price and people will be like "youre so crazy overpriced. It's all stock!"

...yeah...and fully documented and reliable.

I need to do the brakes on my Mazda 3, and replace the purge solenoid, which is a $130 part. Don't want to spend the money to fix it, but it needs to be done if I want to recover and gain any value to sell the car, on a car with value that is dropping like a rock due to my mileage. This means I'm going to need to come up with more cash to cover the difference when I sell it. Gonna cost me money to get out of owing a ton of money.

OP, not saying you're bitching about it...it's good that you atleast care about doing it, however it is a drag when your car is constantly in the shop for repairs that are unplanned, unless they're being done at their intervals.

Comment

old car new problems... u'll get over it.
          <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Yeah Dean, better get used to it now.

I bought my current CB, for $500 no rust 253k original miles. I've put on 9k in 5 months. When I bought it, it had a brand new dizzy but other than that I spent upwards of $600 in the first month in preventative maintenance, as I rely on the car to be a DD. That included, head gasket, radiator and hoses, thermo, fan timer, then the head resurfaced and new valves after a leakdown test, all new studs from Honda, gaskets, seals, timing belt, a reman water pump, balance belt, etc etc. Now I have to do a fuel filter and new plugs... and the wires- I find I replace about once a year on my cars, just cuz.

It's pretty normal stuff, and at least you don't have a CB. We're a bit older.

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
              It's ironic how people bitch about doing repairs to their car, which make it run and drive better, but never complain about modding their car and spending tons on it.

Then they go to sell it for top dollar all riced out, but needs a headgasket, tranny,windshield,tires and ask $5000 for it, when someone will have the same well maintained car for the same price and people will be like "youre so crazy overpriced. It's all stock!"

...yeah...and fully documented and reliable.

I need to do the brakes on my Mazda 3, and replace the purge solenoid, which is a $130 part. Don't want to spend the money to fix it, but it needs to be done if I want to recover and gain any value to sell the car, on a car with value that is dropping like a rock due to my mileage. This means I'm going to need to come up with more cash to cover the difference when I sell it. Gonna cost me money to get out of owing a ton of money.

OP, not saying you're bitching about it...it's good that you atleast care about doing it, however it is a drag when your car is constantly in the shop for repairs that are unplanned, unless they're being done at their intervals.
              i know bro, alll the other repairs and maintenance i did so far were planned for the most part...its my DD so i have to have it running perfectly but after getting home from the shop and seeing this leak it did piss me off but im over it....its JB welded for know until my new radiator comes in and i have another weekend project
              1993 Accord LX - Sold
              93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by tommi View Post
                old car new problems... u'll get over it.
                i know, i have already but the the leak annoyed me. Ive been tracing an oil leak for weeks and finally found the real source and fixed it on Saturday to now have a coolant leak...a never ending cycle but by the end of this month the car will be perfect because all the necessary shit have been replaced
                1993 Accord LX - Sold
                93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
                  Yeah Dean, better get used to it now.

I bought my current CB, for $500 no rust 253k original miles. I've put on 9k in 5 months. When I bought it, it had a brand new dizzy but other than that I spent upwards of $600 in the first month in preventative maintenance, as I rely on the car to be a DD. That included, head gasket, radiator and hoses, thermo, fan timer, then the head resurfaced and new valves after a leakdown test, all new studs from Honda, gaskets, seals, timing belt, a reman water pump, balance belt, etc etc. Now I have to do a fuel filter and new plugs... and the wires- I find I replace about once a year on my cars, just cuz.

It's pretty normal stuff, and at least you don't have a CB. We're a bit older.
                  This CG has gotten more attention in a short period than any of my cbs ever gotten in my complete ownership

I dont mind shelling out the cash for repairs and maintenance i just hate being inconvenienced with new shit. If i found out earlier i probably couldve gotten a cheap radiator from Miami but now I dont have the time to do that until Saturday hence why im annoyed about the situation.
                  1993 Accord LX - Sold
                  93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

I have a wagon and son has the coupe (under my name) and both had to have extensive engine repair. I figure the wagon was about 2k and the coupe was just finished (not body yet) for $2,500. Yes it's a lot for repairs and you might think what the fuck did I shell out so much for cars that are 20years old? That's the point..they ran for 20 years and NOW needs work, (some not all) not like a used American car that will after only 5 short years. Oh and can you fix one of those yourself or even for cheap? Where the hell are the plugs on some? Then after you do fix your Ford or Chevy or whatever, will it last another 10 years? Your Accord will. I truly think in ten years you will still see maybe 5 Cb7's and 1 CB9 a day going down the street as opposed to zero cars of the same years of American.
                    That's why you shell out $ for your long lasting Honda Accord!

I won't say bitching...you know what that got me. LOL

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                    New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                    My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

How much did all that work set you back?
                      I'm probably about due on all that stuff too since I just bought the car 3,000 miles ago. I just got my first oil change at Valvoline and I just know with 325,000 miles it'll need lots of preventive work done.
                      Seriously though, it IS good you take care of all that stuff when you can otherwise it's just going to get even more expensive. Procrastination sucks with car repairs.
                      Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

I don't know about him, but on the wagon if I remember it all:
                        Motor mounts
                        new oil pan
                        complete timing belt and all the stuff they change when they do it
                        radiator
                        Main relay
                        All four regulators
                        right boot
                        brakes

Coupe:
                        Think of anything and the answer is yes
                        Needs only paint and wheels

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                        New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                        My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

When my neighbour wrecked his Accord and I repaired it, I accidentally knocked his rad with my hammer and put a crack in the top of the tank to the left of the rad cap.

Using a fiberglass and epoxy patch kit, it's held up since May of last year with no leaks.

Comment

I've replaced all my coolant hoses since beginning of winter and now my headgaskets blown. lol
                            COUPE K24

Comment

at least you're doing all the work yourself and saving a TON of money. I bought a CB with a blown headgasket for 300 bucks and put in about 900 to get it in good running condition:

-headgasket kit (felpro)
                              -machine shop labor for valvestem seals, lapping valves, pressure test, milling head
                              -coolant, hoses, plugs, wires, bumper, door
                              -tires (work at discount tire so i got a good set of 195/60/15s for 21 bucks! haha)
                              -lower balljoints, upper control arms, alignment
                              -mounts, brake pads and shoes

I was lucky though, I found a guy parting out an identical 91 LX coupe, in frost white and he had recently done a lot of maint. on it before the engine blew on it, and its been sitting in his garage for 3-4 years on jackstands lol

Bought the front spindles with rotors & pads (30) and got a good condition bumper (20) and pass. side door (20) from him. Also since my head on my original car was so overheated, the plugs broke off and I had to get another...he had an entire engine for me (blown one) for 20 bucks that had recently had the timing belt and water pump done, so I swapped those over.

I just completed the car by installing a new A1 exhaust manifold on there so its all ready for emissions tomorrow

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X