So im down but not out...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So im down but not out...........

Yesterday i got the email i was dreading....

i got passed over for a 66k/year job doing what i want to school for at one of the most prestigious hospitals in NYC.

Im talking like the hospital where the NY Yankees go.

Resume was good, interview was good, made it there early in a snow storm....sent 2 thank you letters to the two recruiters i met with.

and i got fucked.

So im really really upset but i guess what can you do.

What really upsets me though, is the fact that today you have to sell yourself to a fucking machine.

Its a known fact that companies use scanners to sort through resumes...

i just got a free critique of my resume and it basically said it sucks......lol....can't suck that bad if it got me an interview.

Idk, this shit has me rethinking everything....this was the job i really wanted and its gone now.

fml.

they use scanners?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

That's news to me about the scanners...

That sucks man.

Comment

A lot of companies and even the government uses automated systems to sort through resumes, they have software that look for key words in a resume.

Sorry you didn't get the job, maybe the possition was already taken and they just needed to post the job for legal reasons.
        1993 Accord EX
        2011 Subaru STi

Comment

This is for you bro!

Keep going strong!

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204 View Post
            A lot of companies and even the government uses automated systems to sort through resumes, they have software that look for key words in a resume.

Sorry you didn't get the job, maybe the possition was already taken and they just needed to post the job for legal reasons.
            yup for discrimination shit to make them look good. They use scanners but rarely keep humans in the loop and it sorts out all the candidates for them without them having to waste time. I feel this is helpful and hurtful because the people who may do a good job wont qualify according to the computer . Thats where you have someone on the inside to put in a good word for you. That is how I got my contract.

Comment

Not to be Debbie Downer, but if you got an interiew and followed up like you said then odds are they took someone else because they were either more qualified or more polished when they interviewed.

I don't care that companies use scanners to sort through resumes, honestly, I applaud the act. Do you really expect every company to read every resume that gets sent to their HR people? Using scanners quickly gives companies a core set of people who fit the requirements they are seeking. It gives people who are qualified for the job a better chance of receiving it. Even if you could fluff up your resume by including certain keywords like promotion, managed, etc it's not going to help you a bit when you actually get your resume read by someone who knows what they're doing. Even if you get an interview they will realize that you aren't truely qualified for the job.

Anyway, Ralphie, just because you got turned down by the best doesn't mean you aren't going to get a chance to move up. Perhaps look at hospitals just below this one. Also, you speak as if this job is unobtainable now, which is not the case. A few more years in the field and you might come back to them with a more polished resume and blow them away.

Originally posted by Maple50175
              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

this is bullshit what if the best worker they could possibly have for the job applies this isn't good business. their being slack just because many people want the job.

just hire more recruitment staff over a silly machine you have to constantly update.

If i was ceo I'd abolish these machines.

think about it what would the key words be for this particular job.
                to cypher through the results.

Comment

The scanners do the initial sort to weed out crappy resumes, and believe me, there are some crappy resumes out there. If you got an interview then you were already past the "scanner" phase and you didn't get the job for some other reason....at least you found our that your resume is at least par because it got you through the first "weed-out" phase....gotta look for the positive man. Wish you the best and there's something out there that'll be even better than this!

Originally posted by Xsjado View Post
                  this is bullshit what if the best worker they could possibly have for the job applies this isn't good business. their being slack just because many people want the job.

just hire more recruitment staff over a silly machine you have to constantly update.

If i was ceo I'd abolish these machines.

think about it what would the key words be for this particular job.
                  to cypher through the results.
                  They're not being slack, they are reducing costs by employing a machine that is consistent and unbiased, doesn't miss work or come in with a hangover, doesn't need bathroom or smoke breaks, doesn't complain or spread drama around the office, and doesn't mind hard work. I'm going to give you a tip for generally having a better life and being a better person: don't think with your emotions.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

One might wonder about your previous experience, its not just everyday that the best hire someone out of school. Experience plays a major role. Should be content being asked a chance by the interview.

Comment

I feel your pain man. I have been waiting to hear back from the Fed Gov for a great job. I passed all the prelim testing, went for a formal interview, was entered into a competition pool. The final step came when I went for the "informal" interview. That was weeks ago and haven't heard back. It too is between $63-68K a year position. I do have a little hope though, because my name was drawn from the pool again for another position with the same agency. Bottom line is dont give up hope man, everything happens for a reason and it works out in the end.

SOLD!!
                      Boosted H22
                      375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

How many positions? How many others were interviewed? As others said, you got to keep on trying. I have been denied jobs twice only to be hired the next time at the same place.
                        The first time it happened was funny, because on the second interview only one of interviewers was from my first interview. She asked me if I had been interviewed before because I looked familiar. I said yes, you interviewed me 4 months ago. One of the other interviewers joked that they needed to change the questions. I said that's okay, I don't really remember them.
                        I got the job.

My swap thread
                        Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

MRT
                          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                          Originally posted by Tippey764
                          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

And besides when one door closes two more open dont even sweat it. You may get a spot that is ten times better than the last deal you were promised. One thing I warned my other business associate about cutting costs which he learned is:

When you slack on the work to cut costs hiring someone with next to know experience you pay for it when the quality comes out in the wash nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                            X