Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydro graphing

Anyone know what it is or seen it done?

It's basically what they do when they make woodgrain pieces. There are many different film designs avaliable such as different carbon fibers and wood grains. It can be done on any hard surface whether it be interior or exterior and can handle temps of 300+ degrees. Anyway, if you're interested let me know, I can get you pricing, etc.

Here's some pics....

Basically, if it can be dunked in water, it's doable. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone's interested.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

god damned expensive.

atleast where I"v been for quotes...
    Last edited by Xsjado; 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I've seen this before with the camouflage on guns and it's a really cool process. I can just picture a woodgrain plug cover for an H22 or a F22 valve cover.

I might actually look into this.

Edit: Those skulls are sick!
      Last edited by Mike1357; 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

For you Aussies, maybe. Mainly cuz shipping would be expensive.

What if I told you a Honda valve cover could be done for roughly $75USD?
        There was an LS6 intake and 2 valve covers for $200USD.

Theres lots of wood grains, camos, and CF. There's also lots of marble, brushed aluminum, water drops, diamond plate, skulls, etc.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Mike, I have a guy that does it, so if anyone's interested give me an item and a few specs and i can quote you a price.

Comment

Looks pretty cool. I never heard of it before.

Though that song in the video brings back memories... The senior black belt in my martial arts class was all about that song when we were sparring... so it was always on. That song makes me want to fight.

Comment

I got quoted about $400-500 for a tiny interior peice it's 4 foot long by about 10cm.

your prices are much better. kind of a niche market here.
              would probably save money sending it too you.

how does it hold up to heat age. etc.

Comment

It gets a clear coat so as far as scratches and durability, it's pretty good. Just as good as most OEM works. Same with age.

And far as temperature goes, 300*F seems to be a good stopping point. Most painted/imaged surfaces are like that though. Intakes, valve covers, shrouds---can and have been done. The pictures and video above show a good idea of what can be done.

You can adjust the color of the graphic as well. As the video shows, a red wheel was dunked in CF and it came out looking like red CF. Pretty neat stuff.

Comment

Comment

There ya go. Now is that a sticker or was it hydro imaged?

Btw, CF on the wheels starts at $85 per.

To answer about durability and such; all the parts get cleaned, prepped, painted, dipped, then finally cleared. So, its just as durable as a good paint job. Basically you paint the part with your base color, pick your pattern and lay it on the water in the tank, then roll the part into the pattern. After that, hose it down, dry it, and clear it.

Comment

The woodgrain is hydro imaged. Is there a way to see what films that shop you were talking about has?

Comment

No. I wish there were, lol. There's over 98 different colors/patterns of woodgrains alone. There's an "industry" book that shows about a quarter of the different graphics and colors but it costs like $225. Thats alot of money for a book that only shows 25% of the graphics.

There are all kinds of patterns. If you send a sample color or pattern if not matched exactly, it could be pretty close.

Comment

There was a guy on importatlanta that said he worked there. Then somehow his pic thread got deleted. I was considering getting a few peices done, but had no way to contact him.

Member's Ride Thread

Will work for food, car parts, or three stripe apparel. And not necessarily in that order

Comment

The guy I talk to is named Wes. I dont know who he knows or whorks with though.

Comment

I may get some details about this for you in the future Mike. I might have a couple pieces on the prelude that this would be cool on.
                              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X