Does This Mean Anything Anymore..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does This Mean Anything Anymore..?

I mean, does it? I dont know about everyone else but the middle finger just doesnt mean anything to me anymore. It might as well be a peace sign or a thumbs up. Maybe Ive just been desensitized to it but i see it and aside from people doing it in pictures, to goof off, i dont even notice it.
    Last edited by MikeW; 12-08-2010, 11:00 PM.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

when i flick people off on the highway they always seem to try and get me to stop so we can fight. i dont understand.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I always thought that when people made that hand gesture they were telling somebody else that they were #1.

Comment

Or their age.
        Or how many friends they have.

Har har. :P

Seriously though, even when driving. You flip someone the bird and it's like you might as well have waved at them. I do it in public, to the guys at work, to my brother, my buddies. Everyone. And it just doesnt have the same meaning it used to.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

it's the same thing in music.

for our parents generation "i wanna hold your hand" was really devious. nowadays it's "i wanna fuck you all night long."

meh.
          Originally posted by deevergote
          These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I believe the way how it came about was in the Middle age of Kings & Queens and castles, and robin hood & men in tights...anyways lol.

Not too sure if this was how the story went but this is what i learnt:

During that era when their "guns" were bows & arrows, and the technique in drawing the string of the Longbow was with the middle finger and it was known as "plucking". The string was made of horse hair i believe and the string when attached to the Longbow was called "Yew". So the term in doing the full technique was called "Plucking Yew"

Now, there was a battle i believe between the English and the French (if i can remember correctly, not sure) and The English had some skilled archers, who used the Longbow that was a vital part to their army. The french vowed that they would cut of the finger of each those archers they caught alive or dead and hold it up in triumph against the English in their victory over them.

To the French's dismay, they lost...The English won.

And the English Longbow archers kept their fingers and in triumph HELD IT UP TO THE FRENCH! Shouting "PLUCK YEW!! PLUCK YEW!!"

Sadly, those who spoke bad English (majority of them being foot soldiers and word went out on the streets of the victory) used the term often. AND SO! The term "PLUCK YEW!" became, "FUCK YOU!"

HAVE A NICE DAAAAY! LOLz
            Last edited by jamaicancb3; 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM.
            '91 Concord Metallic Blue. Status: under construction

Comment

I know it's origins, Im just saying that it's not so bad anymore. When i was a kid, you got in all kinds of trouble if you did it and even into my teens, if you did it to someone, it was on like donkey kong. Now it's just another hand gesture.

Comment

I hate the term " giving someone the bird ". How does it relate to a bird at all?

And if someone flicks me off i open my sunroof and wave

Comment

If makes me mad when someone does it to me... though I usually do it a dozen times a day myself!

It depends on the context. If a rock star does it while on stage, or a passing motorist just flips of a crowd of people that I happen to be a part of... no biggie. If someone gives me the finger because they don't like what I did (especially when THEY are the ones that were being stupid... like the guy I cut off tonight because he sped up to block me into a left lane that was ending...) then I get pissed. Then it's a personal insult.

I let it go quickly, though. I've never tried to get someone to fight over it. That's just dumb!

Also, that picture may (well, surely IS) offensive to many people on this forum. If anyone has a problem, please PM MikeW and ask him to delete this thread. I expect that he will do so upon request.

Comment

Reason to own an EX:

Originally posted by tippey764 View Post

1. And If Someone Flicks Me Off i Open My Sunroof And Wave

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

Its actually seems funny to me now.I drive for Fed Ex Ground and at times have to be an asshole when driving so Im used to it.I usually wave or blow a kiss if its a hot chick! I used to get mad but now I just blow it off and laugh especially after a guy on a bicycle was so focused on flicking me off he didnt noticed the cut of on the sidewalk which resulted in his pretty huffy flipping and him flying about 5 feet and landing on his helmeted head.Funniest shit Ive seen while delivering.Now when someone flicks me off I cant help but think of that poor guy.It hasnt happened lately though, since Ive been nice!

Comment

Originally posted by pninja82 View Post
                        its Actually Seems Funny To Me Now.i Drive For Fed Ex Ground And At Times Have To Be An Asshole When Driving So Im Used To It.i Usually Wave Or Blow A Kiss If Its A Hot Chick! I Used To Get Mad But Now I Just Blow It Off And Laugh Especially After A Guy On A Bicycle Was So Focused On Flicking Me Off He Didnt Noticed The Cut Of On The Sidewalk Which Resulted In His Pretty Huffy Flipping And Him Flying About 5 Feet And Landing On His Helmeted Head.funniest Shit Ive Seen While Delivering.now When Someone Flicks Me Off I Cant Help But Think Of That Poor Guy.it Hasnt Happened Lately Though, Since Ive Been Nice!
                        Lmao!:d

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Also, that picture may (well, surely IS) offensive to many people on this forum. If anyone has a problem, please PM MikeW and ask him to delete this thread. I expect that he will do so upon request.
                          Fixed.

Comment

Deleted WilliamW's message... though I did indeed find it amusing.

Comment

Sorry, I really didn't mean to REALLY offend anyone. If I did I sincerely apologize, it wasn't my intention.

*edit* my intention was to make a funny.
                              P.S. thank you for not banning me.
                              Last edited by WilliamW; 12-09-2010, 12:37 AM.
                              Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Working...
                              X