Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone tether with their at&t 3g unlimited plan???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone tether with their at&t 3g unlimited plan???

im having some issues with comcast. i already cancelled my tv service, and i called to cancel my internet today. their 15mbps internet is $60 and their "economy" 1.5mbps is $40.

the economy is way too slow, about half the speed as when i tether my ip4... but the "performance" package is more than i want to pay. anyways, when i called, i told them exactly that. they offered me the 15mbpd for $39.95 for 6months, which is $1 less than the economy speed. so i got a decent deal on it, BUT i had already gotten used to the fact that i was going to stop downloading movies and live off my FREE tethering for surfing and such.

im sure there are some of you out there that live off tethering and dont pay for internet... what kind of monthly downloads have you accumulated and has att ever warned you?

I use this option for free from tmobile...they dont care what you do with it.

Comment

AT&T will warn you if you rack up too much internet usage. You see the term "unlimited" is actually quite limited in that there is a cap to how much data usage you can rack up over the course of a month. Same as with comcast, though their data cap is quite a bit higher. First time you go over that number they'll warn you, second time they put you on a type of quarantine where you have a very slow download speed. I know AT&T typically doesn't like phones being tethered either, though honestly there are ways around their arbitrary "no tethering" rule.

**EDIT**

I'm sure there is a cap in place, just can't find the article.
      Last edited by Masamune; 11-12-2010, 05:49 PM.
      Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
      D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
      ┴─┴
      ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

with the iphone, at least, att does allow tethering, but they want you to pay $20/mo extra for the ability. of course, with a jailbroken phone, it can be had without their approval.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
          with the iphone, at least, att does allow tethering, but they want you to pay $20/mo extra for the ability. of course, with a jailbroken phone, it can be had without their approval.
          See Tmobile does not say you can't tether...but they don't say you can either.

You don't need a pw or username to tether on TMO.

Just google the settings set it up and your on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
            See Tmobile does not say you can't tether...but they don't say you can either.

You don't need a pw or username to tether on TMO.

Just google the settings set it up and your on.
            you dont need a p/w either with att. you can get one of a few apps through cydia. pdanet, mywi or itether.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
              you dont need a p/w either with att. you can get one of a few apps through cydia. pdanet, mywi or itether.
              ya but you have to jailbreak the phone correct?

Not on Tmobile with hotspot.

Comment

You have to jailbreak the phone, or you have to pay $20/mo for AT&T to "unlock" the feature on a non-jailbroken phone.

I haven't tried it yet. I went from a jailbroken 1st gen iPhone (that I eventually updated and reverted back to non-jailbroken state...) to my current iPhone4, which I don't want to risk jailbreaking. I'm happy enough with the functions as it is.
                The phone is so easy to use that I really don't even need to tether. Using the internet on the phone itself is almost as good as a laptop.

I use a LOT of data transfer on my phone, thanks to Netflix, Pandora, texting, internet surfing, Facebook, game downloading, etc... I have yet to find that cap. I've topped 2gb a number of times. I never got a slowdown, and I've never gotten a warning. I'm sure they'll catch up to guys like me eventually... but that's when they lose me as a customer!

Comment

I have the HTC Evo on sprint and I've thought about canceling my ATT "Elite 5mbps" dsl a few times because at home I can get 8-10 mbps on 4g (I hardly tether at home though) and I tether on 3g every night at work and I usually use about 7gb-10gb of data each month.

Comment

I have an Iphone 4 and its jailbroken. Installed MYWi and can't live without it. I don't pay for internet at home since I connect my laptop with my phone. At&t charges #0 unlimited and they don't know I tether been doing this for 3 years now.

Links to my rides :
                    1992 Accord EX*
                    1990 Accord EX
                    1991 Accord SE (4th)
                    1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                    1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                    1991 Accord SE

Comment

If they are calling the plan "unlimited", they can cry me a river when I dump their service for being not quite unlimited. Thats false advertising. At least Comcast doesn't advertise it as unlimited, but you get a pretty good sized cap, say 250GB a month i believe? Should be the same with cell service. Tell me its a 200GB a month plan, not an unlimited plan. But thats a marketing bs trick. They'll offer you the 700k a month plan or the unlimited plan, of course you are gonna drop the big bucks for unlimited and not read the fine print.

Anyways, a guy I work with has a virgin mobile MiFi router, a personal wifi hotspot you can take anywhere for $40 a month. Its about 2mbps DL and 1 upload. Pretty good deal. Or if you have a iphone or Droid there are apps that do the same thing, you dont need to tether.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

well its done. in a day, i went from my comcast tv/internet package of $155/mo, all the way down to my $35/mo dish network and free tethering.

and im quite impressed. just dl'd an episode of ghost hunters for the wife.

that was an average, but it actually peaked at about 375k.

and i have heard dish get shit talked a lot. its works just fine for us. its $35/mo for the first year, then $50 after that. very good pricing. we have all the channels we did with comcast as well as a hd box & hddvr.

Comment

regarding the unlimited (even Sprint which i have) will be limited "unlimited" quite soon. ALL carriers are going to be enforcing a data cap in the near future and I will be one of the people that will suffer...which sucks. I barely use 200 mins of call time each month but data is thru the roof.
                          1993 Accord LX - Sold
                          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                            regarding the unlimited (even Sprint which i have) will be limited "unlimited" quite soon. ALL carriers are going to be enforcing a data cap in the near future and I will be one of the people that will suffer...which sucks. I barely use 200 mins of call time each month but data is thru the roof.
                            WHAT!? I hardly use any minutes also, but I use a lot of data

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                              Or if you have a iphone or Droid there are apps that do the same thing, you dont need to tether.

That IS tethering.

It is either wired or wireless.

If you use an app on your phone to make use of your 3G/4G network for other devices, it is called tethering.

And yea this is the way of the future.

155/month for tv and internet is fucking bs.

I told my wifey that when we move out to our own place i want to stream everything.

The only thing i want to pay for is netflix and the internet.

Get a cheap landline # and call it a day.

Most of the shit i watch i can find online or stream via netflix or download.

Comment

Working...
                              X