Qs for people who were laid off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qs for people who were laid off

So i was recently laid off of my job as a receiving clerk that i had held for almost 7 years. Six months ago our company was sold to a smaller market chain and now there was a "down sizing" in which i was affected.

Now i will receive a severance package which equals five paychecks but I'm also thinking of applying for unemployment for a duration until i complete school. I was reading some websites and they said that i should acquire an actual letter that said i was truly laid off and not for any other reason.
    When i was called to the manager's office, i was told to my face that the reason why i was being let go was because the store was $15K over budget for staffing and after careful consideration of previous work experience and skills my name and three others were chosen.

Should i go back and get that letter? or should i chance it with unemployment and pray that i don't get screwed because of disonesty?
    There was another member recently that got screwed on his unemployment insurance because the employer kept lying, anyone remember who that was?
    Last edited by Leung; 10-18-2010, 05:57 AM.

I would go back and get the letter. Otherwise your future employers as well as the unemployment office will have nothing to go off of except you telling them that it was the reason. I was mailed a letter when I got laid off though

Comment

how long after you were laid off before you got it?

Comment

Ehh shoot can't remember for certain. It was a while ago. I don't think it took more than a couple of weeks. I guess you could try calling them back and asking if they are going to send you a letter or if you need to come in and pick it up.

Comment

yes because the unfortunately the employer reserves the right to fight having to pay out for unemployment, but i think it varies state to state. for example in vermont, as long as you were working there for longer than 90 days you are eligible for unemployment benefits regardless, but it may be different in ohio. you should call your local office.

life is good.

Comment

Get the letter. If you don't need it, fine. If you do need it and don't have it, you're boned.

Comment

^^^ x2

In Fl, we can go ahead and file a claim with unemployment, and I don't have to do anything after that.

If you get denied, you appeal.
              They need to prove they fired you (past disciplinary records, complaints, ect) But seeing as though the Co was bought out, and downsizing, it will be hard to prove that they DIDN'T lay you off.

Shag Wagon was the guy who was going through the appeals process... btw.

Good Luck! You pay into that system, you should get it!
              Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                So i was recently laid off of my job as a receiving clerk that i had held for almost 7 years. Six months ago our company was sold to a smaller market chain and now there was a "down sizing" in which i was affected.

Now i will receive a severance package which equals five paychecks but I'm also thinking of applying for unemployment for a duration until i complete school. I was reading some websites and they said that i should acquire an actual letter that said i was truly laid off and not for any other reason.
                When i was called to the manager's office, i was told to my face that the reason why i was being let go was because the store was $15K over budget for staffing and after careful consideration of previous work experience and skills my name and three others were chosen.

Should i go back and get that letter? or should i chance it with unemployment and pray that i don't get screwed because of disonesty?
                There was another member recently that got screwed on his unemployment insurance because the employer kept lying, anyone remember who that was?
                Was never laid off but what you should do is go back for the letter. Let them state that you are being laid off for several reasons. Do not let that letter say that you left on your own thats obvious. With that in mind make sure you get a EIN number which displays your current information with that employer and also how much you were getting paid at that time.

There will be no way for you to let the un-employment office to know legally of how much you got paid unless you bring stubs and a letter of recommendation for your next job from that lawyer. Some of these companies are on that slick shit now where you give your information to the un-employment office and they will say they let you go and that you left due to insubordination that way they wont have to pay you un-employment. Most corporations will try to weasel their way out of shit. If they refuse go down to your local un-employment office and seek right to council watch how quick they give up the paper lol I saw that happen at my old job muahahahah they got as deever would say boned!

Comment

Nevermind.

I got a copy of the severance package contract that i signed and there is a section that says,

3. Unemployment. In futher consideration of the Associate's full or final waiver, release and dismissal of all claims and his other agreements and promises herein, Employer agrees that if Associate makes any claims for unemployment insurance benefits after payment of the wages in lieu of notice is concluded under subparagraphs 4(i) below. Employer will not contest such claims for unemployment benefits.

after my friend pointed that out, i felt so relieved.

Comment

^^^ Lots of Win for you!

Enjoy the hunt for your new job, you can now eat in the mean time! LOL.

Comment

actually i was going to kick back and enjoy a little time off while going to school. I mean since i'm unemployed if i find a new job, i'll be at the bottom of the totem pole anyhow so why not wait a minute so i get into the field i'm training for and then start there?

Comment

Nuthin' wrong with that hon!

I decided that I wasn't going to take the first thing that came along, I would wait until I found something I wanted to do.

I'm still waiting. LOL!

Comment

I still kinda feel like I'm waiting to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Comment

You are not alone in feeling that way!

The only reason I know I am a grown up is these little beings that keep calling me "Mommy" and tearing up my shit.

Otherwise... not so much.

Comment

Working...
                            X