Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a move to Phoenix, AZ... suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a move to Phoenix, AZ... suggestions?

My wife and I both work for Trader Joe's, so if we move, its gotta be to an area with tj's. Im curious to know what are some of the nicer/safer areas out there, and if there are any area school systems that are better than others. I know that crime is everywhere and it cant be avoided, but all states have their "ghetto". Im not looking to live in the beverly hills of AZ, but a nice area would be preferred.

so whatcha got AZ?

As north as you can financially afford.

Comment

Is that state-wise or just the Phoenix area?

Or maybe an easier question would be, are there any areas that we should specifically avoid?

Comment

phoenix area wise further north is cheaper, but it also starts turning into the ghetto the further north you go
        I'll be moving down there once my mew swap is done, because when its done I'll be completely out of dept since I'm not starting to get parts until i pay off my loan haha, anyways back on topic

you can easily find nice places near mesa and Gilbert in the 5-700 range

also avoid Peoria least thats what my brother in law says, I believe it, when i went there i just wanted to leave right away
        Last edited by almostJDM; 10-06-2010, 10:55 PM.

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
        1992 Accord EX Coupe
        My FS Thread
        Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

To be honest, the Education system in Arizona sucks. With Brewer making cuts to Education like she has, its a wonder how our kids can actually thrieve.

To be honest, you gotta ask yourself, if you can handle it being 110 to 117 degrees during the summer. if you can ahndle that, then thats alright. to be honest, Mesa would be nice. Scottsdale is highend. Glendale is alright, Peroia is kinda shitty.

Comment

I recommend joo avoid Guadalupe, Senior.

Comment

why would you ever move out of the bay area?
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                Is that state-wise or just the Phoenix area?

Or maybe an easier question would be, are there any areas that we should specifically avoid?
                Honestly, the northern part of the state is nicer and COMPLETELY different than the southern half, but I don't know of any Trader Joe's up here. Maybe in Flagstaff.

As for Phoenix it sort of depends. Like any big city, some of the older areas tend to be not as nice. Chandler, Ahwatukee, east Mesa, and Queen Creek, parts of Avondale and Glendale all tend to be nice. I think Goodyear is OK, although a bit farther out and probably a little more "country." Of course, Fountain Hills and Scottsdale are nice but super expensive, and there is a bunch of new development even further north that is barely even in Phoenix, Anthem and some areas around Deer Valley come to mind.

Personally, I would avoid central Phoenix, most of Tempe, and probably west Mesa which borders Tempe. Overall though, I haven't really found many places that are too awful to live. I agree with Matt about Guadalupe too.

Originally posted by RagingAsian View Post
                To be honest, the Education system in Arizona sucks. With Brewer making cuts to Education like she has, its a wonder how our kids can actually thrieve.

To be honest, you gotta ask yourself, if you can handle it being 110 to 117 degrees during the summer. if you can ahndle that, then thats alright. to be honest, Mesa would be nice. Scottsdale is highend. Glendale is alright, Peroia is kinda shitty.
                Sorry dude, but AZ sucked in education long before Brewer ever started cutting funding. P.S. they didn't cut funding, the tax increase went into effect so that they would minimize what they had to cut. When the state is bankrupt, the state is bankrupt.

Having said that, I didn't have any problem getting a good education in AZ, and I came from a horrible school system in the state. Sometimes people just want an excuse to be stupid, and I haven't seen any dumber people here than anywhere else.
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I would recommend Chandler, where I'm at. I really havn't seem much crime around here. The neighborhoods are quiet and there's a TJ's about 4 miles from me. Roads are good too, no potholes to avoid.

Scottsdale is nice too, but way to expensive and fake for my taste. I used to live there and went to high school in North Scottsdale...the kids were fake, the parents drove ritzy expensive cars...I got sick of it. Gas is even higher priced there. But gotta admit...people there look at lot better than they do elsewhere in the state LOL.

I wouldn't recommend Tempe, there seems to be more crime and theft around there. The very first week I went to college at ASU, my car was broken into and the radio was stolen....this was in the parking structure near the dorms, 1 block...yes ONE block from the Police station. I have a bad taste for that city ever since.

Also, it seems to me the furthur west you go in AZ, the more run down and "redneck" the people seem. But I guess this is the Southwest, so they'll be everywhere. Try to stick to the East Valley or the North East Valley

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

my dad goes there for business and my parents have vacationed there, they love it.

Comment

Thank you all for the input. I'll definitely be taking notes about what you all are saying. I'm gonna be hitting up craigs and rent.com to see what I can find. We would prefer renting a house, but I guess it all depends on what's available.

Just for shits, here in San Jose, we're paying $1425/mo for a 2bed apt.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                        $1425/mo for a 2bed apt.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                        2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
                          Exactly!

Coincidentally enough. There will be a tj's opening up in west des moines next month.

Comment

$1425 a month? sheeeeshhhh!
                            1993 Honda Accord LX
                            2006 Yamaha R6
                            2004 Acura TSX

Comment

and for whats out there, size and look, and considering ours has a w/d in-unit, the price is good. they can easily run $1500+ for an apartment.

and to answer your question wes, our cost of living is exactly why we want to move. we would love to stay in the bay area, but unless we want to live in an apartment our whole life, its not the area for us.

im planning on going into management within tj's, and i just know too many people around here, and a lot of them are lazy pieces of shit and/or annoy me for various reasons. its company policy, that no matter where you transfer in the US, you keep the same pay rate. so making $19 here, is like making $25/hr, if not more, in other states.

the other option we've thrown around is both of us quiting, cashing out our retirement and buy a home in the arlington/mansfield area in texas. they have aldi's out there, which wouldnt be difficult to get our foot in the door. ill have 10yrs experience at tj's, and aldi's is owned by the same people. but for now, its lookin like an AZ move, if anything.

i found a bunch of 3bd/2ba houses for rent in the chandler area for $900-1100. thats already saving up to $500 on rent and all we did was move, while retaining our same income. for me to make/save $500/mo... that would be comparable to me getting a raise from $19 to $23.80/hr. after a quick search, i found a few 2bd/2ba apartments with w/d in the $600 range... which is $800 less than what we're paying right now... making my rate of pay around $26/hr.

damn! the more i look into this, the more im liking the idea of moving. i want to set up shop somewhere we can live comfortably. unless my wife and i both become doctors, thats not happening in CA.

Comment

Working...
                              X