Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else feels the word ricer should be blocked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who else feels the word ricer should be blocked?

So many people use it for stupid reasons on this forum. When in reality the topic at hand has nothing to do with someone being a ricer for the modification/work or anything done to there car.

just my .02 on the fact that it is annoying
    You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
    Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

+2

i have a couple of close friends, that have body kits, graphics, neons()
    great people, they, just dont have the money go back, i mean some have molded bumpers, 24" honda emblems, type r odysseys (oh god), and so on`
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

As much as poorly modded cars do bother me, I always associte the word ricer more for attitude than mods. People who do burnouts and blast their systems at meets etc.

If someone has a fully mickey mouse ebay modded car and can act in a mature manner with it then I dont hate on them. I may not like the car still, but I can keep that to myself.

Comment

I agree with SleepyG on this one. The attitude is what bugs me. You could have the most "riced" car in the world, and be an enthusiastic, supportive member of the tuner community... and you're not a "ricer". You could have a 400hp fully built turbo motor, rolling on expensive wheels and suspension, and have a flawless "clean" appearance to your car (hey, whaddya know... that's the trend now!) and do flybys and burnouts left and right... and you would be considered a "ricer" by me.

The funny thing is, a ricer is often called such when they follow a trend, and then the trend becomes unpopular. In 2002, a baby blue Civic rocking a huge wing, bodykit, and 18" chrome wheels would be magazine cover material (in fact, the car I'm describing was a Super Street cover car...) Now, it'd be laughed off the streets, unless you take it to the kind of shows that doughboy attends... that's the only place such mods are appreciated.

What makes me laugh is that the people that hate on those "ricers" the most are the same dumbasses that pay $200 for a JDM door handle, because JDM is the cool thing. I understand getting a rare FUNCTIONAL part, but people that are paying assloads of money for parts that are so subtle that nobody but people in their little trendy circle will appreciate them... yeah, that's a ricer, if you ask me.

Anyway, back on topic... I considered blocking the word, as I find it annoying as well. There is no clear definition of "rice" and "ricer". It's rarely used to insult people directly on here, though... and we ban when it happens... so I don't want to place TOO many limitations. People already think I'm a nazi enough as it is!

Comment

Im a tad off topic here but speaking of trends, how about the whole hella flush thing. Personlly I am not such a fan because most have fender well clearances so tight you cant even drive the car hard anymore. It kinda bugs me when I see a dope fast car that cant even use it's full turning radius lol.

Ok it does look pretty sick, but these days people seem to like staring at their cars more than driving them sadly....

/rant

Comment

I agree there as well. Cars are meant to be driven, not looked at. I can respect the work put into a show car, and I can respect the originality when something is different... but I don't understand the concept of following a trend when the trend makes your car less functional.

There is an S14 down the street from me. Custom green paint, absolutely flawless... and slammed so low that it looks broken. It's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I agree there as well. Cars are meant to be driven, not looked at. I can respect the work put into a show car, and I can respect the originality when something is different... but I don't understand the concept of following a trend when the trend makes your car less functional.

There is an S14 down the street from me. Custom green paint, absolutely flawless... and slammed so low that it looks broken. It's a shame.
              During my trip down to Lexington last weekend, i saw a Ford Ranger slammed so low that it looked like it was just laying there on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                I agree with SleepyG on this one. The attitude is what bugs me. You could have the most "riced" car in the world, and be an enthusiastic, supportive member of the tuner community... and you're not a "ricer". You could have a 400hp fully built turbo motor, rolling on expensive wheels and suspension, and have a flawless "clean" appearance to your car (hey, whaddya know... that's the trend now!) and do flybys and burnouts left and right... and you would be considered a "ricer" by me.

The funny thing is, a ricer is often called such when they follow a trend, and then the trend becomes unpopular. In 2002, a baby blue Civic rocking a huge wing, bodykit, and 18" chrome wheels would be magazine cover material (in fact, the car I'm describing was a Super Street cover car...) Now, it'd be laughed off the streets, unless you take it to the kind of shows that doughboy attends... that's the only place such mods are appreciated.

What makes me laugh is that the people that hate on those "ricers" the most are the same dumbasses that pay $200 for a JDM door handle, because JDM is the cool thing. I understand getting a rare FUNCTIONAL part, but people that are paying assloads of money for parts that are so subtle that nobody but people in their little trendy circle will appreciate them... yeah, that's a ricer, if you ask me.

Anyway, back on topic... I considered blocking the word, as I find it annoying as well. There is no clear definition of "rice" and "ricer". It's rarely used to insult people directly on here, though... and we ban when it happens... so I don't want to place TOO many limitations. People already think I'm a nazi enough as it is!
                Okay deev these are some very good points posted by you and other members but what about the attitudes of rice? Like you said there are others who have their appearance which give the impressions of being a ricer but you have also explained just now the actions of being a ricer. So it works both ways basically.

Comment

ricers.
                  To-Do List for Today
                  Be Awesome

Comment

I dont think it should be banned people can say what they like
                    and like deev said i rarely see anybody insulting on this forum let alone using ``rice`` or ``ricer`` as an insult.

On the other point though, just like any other type of colloquial phrase or slang
                    ricer originated through some random group of dudes somewhere trying to find a way to describe the at that time new import tuner community. obviously being from parts of asia, it must not have been that hard to come up with rice or ricer.
                    back than it was used to label japanese/asian tuners cars or drivers.
                    now a days nobody uses the phrase the way it was originally used. From what i see, Its now used by someone who doesn`t personally like the modifications someone else has done to there own vehicle.
                    Its allllll about personal preference and personally I live in canada where anybody is virtually free to express themselves and there vehicle how they want (within safety guidelines of course). So in my opinion
                    spend your 1200 on a body kit 1000 on wheels and 600 on a new paintjob
                    and look maddddd fly in your 1000 dollar accord with a 500 dollar 220000km f series engine and stunt. because I would gladly trade your car for my dented scuffed (no rust though) beat up, broken window pin, leaky trunk coupe in a heartbeat and i WOULDNT complain and say i wish you had have spent all your money on a H series engine swap lol

^^MRT^^
                    THIRD EYE FISH

Comment

Working...
                    X