Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Router issue

I'm just full of computer problems!

Actually, this one is for my friend. She has a wireless router that is giving her problems. She recently moved into a new apartment, and when she hooked it up, it asked for a password. She has a password written down, but it's not working.

Is there any way to reset the password, or could there possibly be something else that the router could be looking for, other than the password that she used previously?

I don't know any details, and I'm not able to go help her in person... but I figured I'd run it by you guys in case there's an easy solution. This kind of stuff was never my thing. If I don't just plug in my router and it works, I'm lost!

It's looking for her password that she uses with her network provider you have to call them in an do a double-check. When the router is functional it will ask for the password from the provider and the special authentication code thats your personal password.

She has to call the network provider to re-instate it. Does she have a new computer or did a password reset or perhaps turned the router off. Dont press the reset button until you speak to the provider or else it will wipe out all the codes and you have to start over again just so she can have access.

Comment

By network provider, I assume you mean her cable or DSL provider, right?
      I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Comment

if its just for wireless, have her go into the router setup, depending on the make of router like for instance mine is a netgear, so i go to IE or whatever browser and type in routerlogin.com and enter admin for user and password for the password, that is if it hasnt been changed, but for other makes In a browser try the following 192.168.0.1 ; 192.168.1.1 ; 192.168.100.1 ; 192.168.1.100. and same user name and password

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
        1992 Accord EX Coupe
        My FS Thread
        Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Depends on the router. If it is a common brand name like Linksys/Cisco, DLink, Belkin, Buffalo, etc., then there should be a reset button that will reset to factory defaults. The default un/pw will probably be different for each device, so you'll have to go to the mfg website and download the manual, and you'll probably need an ethernet cable to connect directly to it with the laptop or whatever you're working with. If it is something that the ISP provided, you'll probably have to contact them. If it's AT&T DSL, there is usually a 10 digit number called a modem access code somewhere on the device (usually the bottom) and that will be the WEP key to get logged in.

***Additional Info***

For resetting to defaults on most routers: With power removed from the device, press and hold the rest button, then power up the device. Keep the reset button pushed in for 15-20 second and then release. Router should reset to defaults.
          Last edited by psawall; 10-05-2010, 10:00 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by psawall View Post
            For resetting to defaults on most routers: With power removed from the device, press and hold the rest button, then power up the device. Keep the reset button pushed in for 15-20 second and then release. Router should reset to defaults.
            ^ This
            Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
            D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
            ┴─┴
            ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Awesome guys. Thanks a lot! I'll see what info here applies to her router, and hopefully we can get things working again.

Comment

Woman in distress and Deeve is all over it! You better do more then reset her router......

Comment

Working...
                X