Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely!

Comment

I have never seen that movie, but I am so watching it tonight when I get home.

That was hilarious.

Comment

Mallrats is one of the greatest movies ever. It's in my top 10, for sure.

Comment

If I leave a tool in a customers car and he doesn't return it to me, Does that also make the customer a thief? . . .

Mechanics generally take lost tools as their own fault with no expectation of getting them back.

Hell we've even had customers that have found a tool in their car after we rung them asking for it.
          Then spinning around and saying - I'm not giving it back, It's in MY car.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

That's true. The original owner lost it. It just so happened that the other guy found it.

Still, once the real owner is known, it's not right to keep it. If it's just a stray, unclaimed tool... then yeah, that thing should be rescued!

Comment

Exactly. He left it in a customer's car. He should be glad it was found and returned. And the fact that the tech removed it from under the hood was a combination of things. Not only finding a tool but a loose tool, and thats not something most mechanics will just leave and let be.

At that point he couldve gone to the customer or shop foreman but as i said, the customer either wouldve kept it or given it to the tech and the foreman wouldve done the same. Told the tech to keep it or let the customer have it.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
              Originally posted by Jarrett
              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

If your friend remembers which customer it was, have him mention to him the next time he comes in for service that there appears to be a few scratches and dings where someone must've left a flashlight...

Comment

If/When I find stuff like this at work, I put the item in question on the floor in front of the passenger seat. At this point, the customer is probably confused as to how that tool or whatever got there, but happy to have it back none the less. On the other hand, I've had customers bring those tools back into the shop and ask if they were mine. At that point I just explain to them where I found them and that they aren't mine. I've had a few people just give them to me for the heck of it.

Unfortunately, when I leave my own tools in someone's car I usually don't get them back. I even had the manager call a customer back and explain that a tool was left in the trunk of the car. The customer found it and said they'd bring it right back, but never did.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

every time i find tools under my parents hood, i return them to the place that it last got worked on. this is because if it were my tool i had left, i'd want it back regaurdless if it was on purpose or accident.

What that mechanic did was wrong. He took something that wasn't his to begin with.
                    COUPE K24

Comment

i wouldve kept it and kept my mouth shut. no harm no foul. buy a charger off ebay. ive lost plenty of tools...so that mechanic that lost the light should suck it up and deal with it. maybe he'll learn from the situation.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Mallrats is one of the greatest movies ever. It's in my top 10, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                          i wouldve kept it and kept my mouth shut. no harm no foul. buy a charger off ebay. ive lost plenty of tools...so that mechanic that lost the light should suck it up and deal with it. maybe he'll learn from the situation.
                          Honestly - Most mechanic's would keep it.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          That's true. The original owner lost it. It just so happened that the other guy found it.

Still, once the real owner is known, it's not right to keep it.
                          Correct - That's a moral obligation, Not a legal one.
                          Unless there is a genuine ID mark on the tool, there is no proof.

I ID mark ALL of my tools for this very reason.
                          1) So I can morally and legally prove it is mine.
                          2) So I can identify my tool's from other people in the workshop.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

ehh I'd have put it back. good job for the snap on rep, he bought himself another customer.

Comment

At my shop he would have been fired. Now had he shown the customer what he found and the customer did not own it, and requested if he could have it then that would have been acceptable.
                              As far as I'm concerned if it was in the customers vehicle whether they were aware of it or not, whether they owned it or not, it is still their property by default. He should not have helped himself to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X