Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about wrapping my car

I've been thinking about wrapping my Integra

My plan was to get it repainted but I know I would be a nervous wreck all the time when my car is outside... always worried about it getting scratched by people who have no respect for other ppl's property.

So I want to try something new... vinyl wrap. Does anybody know how hard it would be to wrap a car? Where to get some durable wrap? etc..

Are you going to be doing this yourself. I'm having my roof done pretty soon waiting on the shop to order the 3M dynoc carbon fiber and matte black vynil so I can compare and decide what to go with. It is a cheaper alternative to paint and it also protects it from the elements. But I would have a proffessional do it, doesn't look easy at all.
    1993 Accord EX
    2011 Subaru STi

Comment

It isn't easy for the vinyl to conform to curves perfectly. A few of my friends have had their cars wrapped in 3m di noc CF vinyl, but they all choose to pay professionals.

For flat panels its just like putting on a sticker.

My friend's vinyl wrapped EP3. You can see below the tail light the curves didn't conform perfectly.

Comment

so how does the stuff stick to the car? some kind of epoxy? Also how do they prepare the surface for the stuff?

Comment

my bikes wrapped. curves suck like previously said but its a cheaper option with countless possibilities.

Comment

I definitely wouldn't want to pay for labor and would much rather do it myself.

From what I understand, you basically clean the surface, and start wrapping working with a squeegee and a hair dryer.

I also found out that Avery vinyl is good for this. It would run roughly $100 for 48"x20 yards. I also read somewhere that 20 yards is enough to do a small car but I have a feeling it may not be enough.

So IF it costs like 120-130ish bucks including the wrap and a squeegee, I think it could be an interesting alternative to "rolling" a car which is actually cheaper but seems like wrapping is less work.

That wrapped EP looks pretty cool, do you know how much he paid for the wrap?

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
              That wrapped EP looks pretty cool, do you know how much he paid for the wrap?
              I'm not sure on the exact price, but I know he could have easily gotten a very nice paint job for the same price. 3m di noc isn't cheap at all.

Comment

check out this wrapped GS

here is the link to the RPM Dallas car event and a few shots of his car

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-s...pm-dallas.html

FS: OEM Fuel Filter, ES Tie Rod Boots, Chrome Bulbs

Comment

Originally posted by lo_dit View Post
                  check out this wrapped GS

here is the link to the RPM Dallas car event and a few shots of his car

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-s...pm-dallas.html
                  i want that car...2nd time ive seen it and I really want it...interior is ridiculous. I wish i could afford to go VIP.
                  1993 Accord LX - Sold
                  93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                  92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                  2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                  2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                  2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                  2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                  2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

perfect words, the interior is ridiculous. so much attention to detail

FS: OEM Fuel Filter, ES Tie Rod Boots, Chrome Bulbs

Comment

talk to turbo90accord he wrapped his cb in cf
                      miss my turbo cb7
                      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe View Post
                        I'm not sure on the exact price, but I know he could have easily gotten a very nice paint job for the same price. 3m di noc isn't cheap at all.
                        Very true, quality wrap + labor is the same price as a good paint job.

I would rather get a nice paint job too... but like I said before, I would be a nervous wreck leaving the car in a parking lot. I like the idea of wrapping because if it does get scratched, I could just get a $20 piece of wrap and re-wrap that panel.

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                          Very true, quality wrap + labor is the same price as a good paint job.

I would rather get a nice paint job too... but like I said before, I would be a nervous wreck leaving the car in a parking lot. I like the idea of wrapping because if it does get scratched, I could just get a $20 piece of wrap and re-wrap that panel.
                          I know what you mean about constantly worrying about your paint. One of the cars I travel around with to shows has had 4 paint jobs already totaling to a little over $10,000 in 5 years. The 1st time it got keyed, 2nd time someone hit the car, 3rd time something hit the panel and chipped the paint. We finally gave up and started wrapping the car since the custom paint jobs were impossible to match and would require a full repaint.

My TL got keyed 2 months after I spent close to $2k to get it repainted, so my SC300 is most likely going to be vinyl wrapped when I get a new kit since it'll be easier to fix and match.

Comment

This is my friends 335I

Accord Of The Month January 09
                            Accord Of The Year 09

My 2 Babys
                            BMW TECH FOR 15 YEARS

Comment

Originally posted by RICHIE*GT35R View Post
                              This is my friends 335I

i didnt know they had wrap in that color. thats actually quite nice

no
                              Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                              $30 HID kits here Thread
                              "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                              "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Working...
                              X