revving before shut off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

revving before shut off?

I was just pondering why people (racers in peticuliar) rev the engine a couple hundred before shut off...I couldn't think of any reason for it, but I see/hear it all the time. I prob sound nub for asking, but I thought maybe you guys might know...

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Well, my dad's been doing that since I was a little baby, and now I do the same thing too...Kind of like a habit..Hahaha

Well, apparently for older cars with carbs, it's good to do that because it puts a bit more gas into the carb so the car will start easier the next time you try to start the car.........There's that...But then with newer cars with FI, it's not really necessary to do it...Sooo why do I still do it?? I don't know, it's a habit, and it makes me look cool Hahaha no seriously, I'm so used to seeing my dad did that all the time since I was a kid, and now it's becoming a habit whenever I turn off my car...

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

That's kind of the path I was following in my mind, however I was thinking along the lines of introducing more oil to sit and prepare/lubricate the engine for the next start up. Guess I was close though! I wonder if it goes further than that though...

Comment

to signal to everyone within ear shot that you have arrived

Originally posted by fizzbob7
        first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
        Originally posted by ACC0RD22
        no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
        So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

I always figured thats what the horn was for

Comment

yeah but youre much cooler if you rev...

Originally posted by fizzbob7
            first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
            Originally posted by ACC0RD22
            no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
            So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

I've seen it done on some dyno videos... peticularly high horsepower Turboed cars.
              If you've seen those kinda videos you'd probably notice the turbo glowing RED HOT and shutting off the motor or even letting it idle a bit with the turbo that hot can cause the oil that's getting to the turbo to evaperate on contact causeing sluge build up. That's one reason why I think they rev the motors to move more oil through the turbo wile it cools down a bit.
              On NA motors I really don't see a point. though I would guess it also helps cool the motor down a little after a HARD dyno pull in 5th or something. No need to do that on the street though.
              ~~~~~~~

Comment

i thought it was to get the coolant flowing more...
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by arrozburner
                  to signal to everyone within ear shot that you have arrived
                  hahahahahaha that comment made my day
                  Honda-Tech Username: Lostcb7
                  The cb7tuner.com OG.

Comment

I don't use my horn anymore... My exhaust is louder

My car also revs on it's own lately, so it sounds like I'm doing it intentionally when i shut it off...

Comment

well if its a turbo car, u got to let it idle or cool down, if not u will get ur oil to "cake" with ur turbo stuff, my bro has to let his tsi run for like 20 secs, well with his turbo timer that is

Comment

i wonder why, maybe its cool to do it hehehe...

i have my alarm with a built in turbo timmer so i set it for a minute and let the car cool down then it shuts off heheh
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i thought the term for oil frying in your turbo was called "cokeing"(sp?)

Comment

yea it is, inside ur turbo i pretty sure its coking, but it can also cake on some stuff......or maybe its the same thing

Comment

Working...
                            X