Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

there comes a time in every little boy's life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
    I'm a Chem Eng. Deev, not a Mech. E.
    Oh yeah. I knew that. Brainfart!

Comment

Originally posted by zmanwit90accord View Post
      well my senior year is yet to be determined but i check before junior year ended and my school average is about 87. i think that's like a 3.4 probably closer to 3.3. as for my SATs, i got a 1600 and being dissatisfied, i'm taking them again next month.

i'm aware of the difficulty and challenges of some of the more prestigious schools, but this is something i really want and will work tremendously hard for. i appreciate the advice though, i always need to keep that in mind.
      MIT would be your far reach, no offense. Unless you fulfill their niche. But worth a try.

lol well AccordWarrior and the rest of you gave great advice, so i don't think i'll be talking college talk to the local hobo. he's more of a weekend guy anyway. as soon as i get settled in my school, i'll talk to my guidance counselor and try to get my lazy ass up to MA sometime soon.
      AccordWarrrior only said he was chem engineer... you're gonna switch majors now?

Comment

Originally posted by HondaB18 View Post
        AccordWarrrior only said he was chem engineer... you're gonna switch majors now?
        uhh not really. the advice he gave me was transferable to any major at any college. his experience at the college i'm interested in is very helpful to me along with his other words of wisdom.

Comment

Random tips from MRX (senior M.E. @ San Fran State U):
          - Get a planner and store any and all school related information in it. Thank me later.
          - Find the smart kids and coherce them into forming a study group.
          - If you can't get an intership with a company try asking your professors if they have any research projects you could assist with. It's rare for an undergrad but I was able to get myself into a zinc oxide nano-technology research experiment.
          - Make friends with the upper classmen that have already taken your courses. They can usually explain things in a simple and understandable manner.
          - Start thinking about projects now. Have a couple on the back burner until you get a chance to use them.
          - Nearly everything can be made into an analogy about cars in some way shape or form
          Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Go to RIT and do their FSAE program. They're fast. I know this because I go to Missouri S&T(formerly University of Missouri-Rolla) and we race against them.
            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MRX View Post
              Random tips from MRX (senior M.E. @ San Fran State U):
              - Get a planner and store any and all school related information in it. Thank me later.
              - Find the smart kids and coherce them into forming a study group.
              - If you can't get an intership with a company try asking your professors if they have any research projects you could assist with. It's rare for an undergrad but I was able to get myself into a zinc oxide nano-technology research experiment.
              - Make friends with the upper classmen that have already taken your courses. They can usually explain things in a simple and understandable manner.
              - Start thinking about projects now. Have a couple on the back burner until you get a chance to use them.
              - Nearly everything can be made into an analogy about cars in some way shape or form
              thanks for the advice. i'm trying to organize myself with the 7-8 schools i have in mind and already have some ideas for projects in college. while looking at WPI, they have 2. interactive and... something else. they both look awesome and you can go overseas to finish them.

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
              Go to RIT and do their FSAE program. They're fast. I know this because I go to Missouri S&T(formerly University of Missouri-Rolla) and we race against them.
              which RIT? i'm looking at Rochester, not Rhode Island (if that was the one you're referring to) and can you explain what the FSAE program is?

Comment

thanks for the advice. i'm trying to organize myself with the 7-8 schools i have in mind and already have some ideas for projects in college. while looking at WPI, they have 2. interactive and... something else. they both look awesome and you can go overseas to finish them.

which RIT? i'm looking at Rochester, not Rhode Island (if that was the one you're referring to) and can you explain what the FSAE program is?
                I'm talking about Rochester. In FSAE you build an open-wheeled race car while following all the guidelines laid out by SAE(Society of automotive engineers). You learn so much about the design of a car, everything from carbon parts, chassis design, controls, data aquisition, engine, etc. At competitions you get to talk to some seriously legit guys. Design judges are guys that work for Goodyear, Toyota, GM, Formula 1, etc. If you want to get into the automotive industry and be legit about it, FSAE is the program to get into.

Here's my school's 09-10 car:

And here's RIT's 09-10 car:

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                  I'm talking about Rochester. In FSAE you build an open-wheeled race car while following all the guidelines laid out by SAE(Society of automotive engineers). You learn so much about the design of a car, everything from carbon parts, chassis design, controls, data aquisition, engine, etc. At competitions you get to talk to some seriously legit guys. Design judges are guys that work for Goodyear, Toyota, GM, Formula 1, etc. If you want to get into the automotive industry and be legit about it, FSAE is the program to get into.

Here's my school's 09-10 car:

And here's RIT's 09-10 car:
                  not gonna lie.....

that looks EXACTLY like what i'd be interested in doing! i'm definitely going to look more into this program. thanks

Comment

not gonna lie.....

that looks EXACTLY like what i'd be interested in doing! i'm definitely going to look more into this program. thanks
                    No problem. Its a huge time commitment, but most definitely worth it. Maybe I'll see you on the track next year!

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                      .... not a Mech. E.
                      It's OK. Nobody's perfect.

Comment

I went to Cooper Union

DO IT

It's FREE if you can get in... you get to go to school in NYC.... the name is very big in the Northeast.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                          I went to Cooper Union

DO IT

It's FREE if you can get in... you get to go to school in NYC.... the name is very big in the Northeast.
                          i forgot to mention this school as well. it's not really on my list because i'm not very fond of the city but my mom is forcing me to apply here because it's... FREE which i can't ague with. i've heard it's a great school was well i just didn't like the city-city environment.

what did you go for and how difficult were your classes? how is the social life down there? i know its NYC but i'm talking about on campus activities

Comment

so updates, updates, updates.....

i have been accepted to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Rochester Intistute of Technology, and Wentworth Institute of Technology.

The rest of my 8 applications are regular decision and since RPI was my first choice, my deadline for them is the 21st.

i want to know your opinions on each of these schools. whatever you know. good things, bad things, anythings.

i like RPI the best because they have rifling, archery, intermural sports, an auto x club and a video gaming club. they are also close to home but not in-state. Troy, NY is about 3hours away from where i live.

RIT is a great school i hear and have good programs as well. they have specific dorm rooms, co-ed (wink wink), lots of cool clubs. the school however is 6 hours away in up state NY. it's close to Canada and even michigan! i think it's a little far away.

Wentworth is the one i'm least interested in. it's in boston and the city life has little appeal to me. i hear it's a great school for egineering but i'm not sure if i like it as much.

none of this matters anyway as finaicial aid is key. so far, RPI has generously given me $35K out of the $57k which i like a lot. the rest of the stuff for the other schools comes in at later dates. so as my dealine draws near, i want as much opinions/advice about these 3 schools in specific. thanks in advance!

Comment

Wentworth is the one i'm least interested in. it's in boston and the city life has little appeal to me. i hear it's a great school for egineering but i'm not sure if i like it as much.
                              Wentworth is an awesome school. Most of the faculty is made up of people working in that field at that time which is cool. I went for 4 years and studied architectural engineering.

Im from CT too so i was big on the hating city life and loving the simple country life of CT. But 4 years in boston made me much more street smart and I had a blast. I should have focused a little more on school instead of seeing what the city had to offer me.

All in all Im glad I did it, but im happy im back to my country life out of the city.

Comment

I know very little about any of those choices but have heard in the past that RIT is a very good school.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                                Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Working...
                                X