Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

there comes a time in every little boy's life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe View Post
    Wentworth is an awesome school. Most of the faculty is made up of people working in that field at that time which is cool. I went for 4 years and studied architectural engineering.

Im from CT too so i was big on the hating city life and loving the simple country life of CT. But 4 years in boston made me much more street smart and I had a blast. I should have focused a little more on school instead of seeing what the city had to offer me.

All in all Im glad I did it, but im happy im back to my country life out of the city.
    that's good to hear. i haven't been in boston since i was like 12. maybe i should take a day trip up there to get to know the area first. i actually haven't been to any of the campuses as time and funds are restricting me.

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
    I know very little about any of those choices but have heard in the past that RIT is a very good school.
    that's what i hear too thankfully. i'm concerned about it being too big though. do you know if it's a larger school?

Comment

Originally posted by zmanwit90accord View Post
      that's what i hear too thankfully. i'm concerned about it being too big though. do you know if it's a larger school?
      I'd say it is a small school. UT is about 27,000 students total while RIT is around 17,000 total. RIT is located right outside of the city which allows you to avoid all the hustle and bustle of the city but you're still close enough to go in and do stuff without it being a long trip.

Also, the size of the school really isn't that important as far as I'm concerned. No matter the size you can build good relationships with small groups of kids who are in your major as well as people you just meet along the way.

Originally posted by Maple50175
      Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
        I'd say it is a small school. UT is about 27,000 students total while RIT is around 17,000 total. RIT is located right outside of the city which allows you to avoid all the hustle and bustle of the city but you're still close enough to go in and do stuff without it being a long trip.

Also, the size of the school really isn't that important as far as I'm concerned. No matter the size you can build good relationships with small groups of kids who are in your major as well as people you just meet along the way.
        good advice. i'm used to small schools so that's why i asked. one of 36 graduating from my middle school, and my current high school has under 1000 kids. school size isn't really a factor for me, more of a curiosity. i just don't want to get lost in a sea of students.

Comment

Originally posted by zmanwit90accord View Post
          so updates, updates, updates.....

i have been accepted to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Rochester Intistute of Technology, and Wentworth Institute of Technology.

The rest of my 8 applications are regular decision and since RPI was my first choice, my deadline for them is the 21st.

i want to know your opinions on each of these schools. whatever you know. good things, bad things, anythings.

i like RPI the best because they have rifling, archery, intermural sports, an auto x club and a video gaming club. they are also close to home but not in-state. Troy, NY is about 3hours away from where i live.

RIT is a great school i hear and have good programs as well. they have specific dorm rooms, co-ed (wink wink), lots of cool clubs. the school however is 6 hours away in up state NY. it's close to Canada and even michigan! i think it's a little far away.

Wentworth is the one i'm least interested in. it's in boston and the city life has little appeal to me. i hear it's a great school for egineering but i'm not sure if i like it as much.

none of this matters anyway as finaicial aid is key. so far, RPI has generously given me $35K out of the $57k which i like a lot. the rest of the stuff for the other schools comes in at later dates. so as my dealine draws near, i want as much opinions/advice about these 3 schools in specific. thanks in advance!
          Friend of mine went to Renselear. Him and all his friends really liked it. Pack a lot of winter clothes, a snowboard and some skis... it's gonna be cold. Also be prepared for the slimmest picking of girls ever.

I would wait for Cooper's response but that's just me....

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
            Friend of mine went to Renselear. Him and all his friends really liked it. Pack a lot of winter clothes, a snowboard and some skis... it's gonna be cold. Also be prepared for the slimmest picking of girls ever.

I would wait for Cooper's response but that's just me....
            i assumed it was gonna be cold but i know it won't be as cold as Rochester! kind of a bummer hearing about the lack of women... or attractive women, not sure what you meant lol

Comment

Women in general

It's hard enough going to an engineering school.... quadruply hard going to one in the middle of nowhere

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                Women in general

It's hard enough going to an engineering school.... quadruply hard going to one in the middle of nowhere
                well then i guess i'll have to make due with what the school gives me. lol it's true not a lot of women go to these science schools but RIT has programs ranging from film to engineering so maybe it's a little more diverse up there. wentworth also has an art program because someone in my drawing class was applying there.

can anyone at least chime in on the area? this forum is world wide so there has to be someone who's been to upstate NY or lives there. i know there's people from boston. i haven't been to these locations yet so maybe someone can tell me what to expect besides the cold weather.

Comment

I've visited the region heavily but never stayed there for more than a week at a time. I can't imagine it will be much different, culture-wise, than where you live now. Perhaps a bit more quicker paced because it's a bigger city compared to what you're used to but the way people act shouldn't be too dissimilar to where you live now.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                  Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

so after much deliberation, i'm leaning towards RIT now. hopefully i'll see mndude on the track! even though RIT is a little bigger (8000 students more) they have a lot of programs i'm interested in. i'm getting used to the idea of living in the cold (i just hope my car can make it). a bigger school means more eople and based on reviews, some of the girls that go to the art school get pretty attractive...

anyway, females aside, RIT may not be ranked as high in terms of the best engineering school or even retention rate, but they still gave me a good financial aid package that won't be too hard on my wallet since i am the only one paying for my education besides the scholarships i applied to. for RIT, i would have to come up with about $10,000 a year which isn't to bad compared to the $22k RPI is asking for.

however, someone said i could use this multiple acceptances to have "leverage" with the other schools. for example, pressuring RPI to give a little more money because RIT has given me a better package. how exactly does this work?

although RPI is the 41st best college in the USA according to usnews.com, reviews about the college and it's surrounding area put me off. the city of Troy, NY is apparently not a pleasant one, especially at night and there doesn't seem to be as much to do because of it's small size.

thanks again for all the advice given to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X