Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

there comes a time in every little boy's life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there comes a time in every little boy's life...

when he goes off to college.

that time hasn't come for me but it's coming up soon. i'm going into my senior year of high school and have a list of colleges ready in mind. i plan to be an engineer of some kind, preferably mechanical engineer. although i haven't really been exposed to the field, i have spent this past summer working on cars and i'm taking an engineering principles course this spring. i also know one or two engineers.

i've never been more sure of what i wanted to be and my requirement for a career is that it has to do with cars. my dream school is MIT (among the best) but i'm not pressured into going there. in other words, if i'm not accepted, it won't crush my spirits.

to get to the point, i need advice from those of you who went to engineering colleges, especially those in the north eastern united states. i plan on staying in MA but won't mind venturing out if i hear good things. of course i have done a lot of research but i haven't had the chance to experience college life or visit many of the campuses i wish to be apart of. right now the only way to go up to MA and visit the schools i want to go to, is if i take a day off school and drive up by myself. so i'm asking for the college you went to and your experience.

among MIT here are some other schools i'm very interested in, in no particular order.

University of Connecticut
    Wesleyan University
    Worcester Polytechnic Institute
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
    Wentworth Institute of Technology
    Rochester Institute of Technology
    Western New England College (School of Engineering)
    Northeastern University
    Boston University

if you or people you know have been to these schools, i'd love to hear about it! thanks in advance for the input.

All those schools you mentioned are very good. I have a friend that went to MIT and I was also accepted but decided not to go. He got out of school a couple years ago and has been having a hard time finding a job since.

My other two friends went to Wentworth Institute of Technology and they work in the gaming industry up there in Boston. Basically, all those school are very good and also pretty expensive. If you can even get into some of them I think you should look at what you really want to do and go to the best school that offers it. MIT might not be as good for what you want as BU might be.

truth

Comment

Originally posted by kantkillkeenan View Post
      All those schools you mentioned are very good. I have a friend that went to MIT and I was also accepted but decided not to go. He got out of school a couple years ago and has been having a hard time finding a job since.

My other two friends went to Wentworth Institute of Technology and they work in the gaming industry up there in Boston. Basically, all those school are very good and also pretty expensive. If you can even get into some of them I think you should look at what you really want to do and go to the best school that offers it. MIT might not be as good for what you want as BU might be.

truth
      i know MIT is going to be a problem financially if i'm accepted but it's mainly the name. i mean, if you graduate from MIT, that alone stands for something. it's my number one choice because of location and reputation. as for Boston U, a lot of my friends want to go there for business so i wasn't sure if it would give me the education i wanted, but i will definitely keep a closer eye on it now.

and it's good to hear Wentworth produces great people. this is the first i've ever heard people who went there. i loved them at a college fair i went to, just wasn't sure on its repuatation.

also, any particular reason you declined MIT? you don't have to share if you don't want to.

Comment

check out pennsylvania college of technology. i currently attend there. i go for plastics engineering. And i must say, it is a great school. No huge classes, the most you have in a class are during your general ed classes and the most is like 17 people. the professors are always willing to help out if you are struggling. the school offers alot of free help if you are having troubles.
        You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
        Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Originally posted by buckysaccord93 View Post
          check out pennsylvania college of technology. i currently attend there. i go for plastics engineering. And i must say, it is a great school. No huge classes, the most you have in a class are during your general ed classes and the most is like 17 people. the professors are always willing to help out if you are struggling. the school offers alot of free help if you are having troubles.
          do you know where in PA? i want to stay relatively close to CT. i've been to Penn State before and i liked the campus, i just thought it was a little to big and the drive was a little longer than expected. is this a division of Penn State? i love the fact it has small class sizes as that's what i'm used to.

Comment

its in williamsport. and its the sister school of penn state. basically its penn state just its the technical school for them
            You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
            Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Originally posted by kantkillkeenan View Post
              Wow, it just seems hard to believe that he wouldn't have a job after graduating from there. Engineers should still be in high demand right?
              Yeah, Preludes

Originally posted by deevergote.
              Why can't people just search OT to see if someone else posted the same random thread?

Comment

i transferred to Wentworth after attending automotive school. i'm in my junior year now and so far it's been a good experience. i'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering Technology and i have high hopes of finding a good career once i graduate. there is a co-op program here if you didn't already know about it. a good number of graduates end up staying with their co-ops after they graduate.

Northeastern also has a co-op program and it's right next to Wentworth, but it's a 5-year. a few of my friends are going/have already gone there and i haven't heard any complaints.

do research on your top choices and visit the campuses. take tours as well and get to know the area. it will help with your decision

Comment

Originally posted by eriemoto. View Post
                  i transferred to Wentworth after attending automotive school. i'm in my junior year now and so far it's been a good experience. i'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering Technology and i have high hopes of finding a good career once i graduate. there is a co-op program here if you didn't already know about it. a good number of graduates end up staying with their co-ops after they graduate.

Northeastern also has a co-op program and it's right next to Wentworth, but it's a 5-year. a few of my friends are going/have already gone there and i haven't heard any complaints.

do research on your top choices and visit the campuses. take tours as well and get to know the area. it will help with your decision
                  great to hear. as i said, times are a little rough but as soon as i get the chance, i'm going to boston to visit all my favorite schools. i've been to the city but never to any campuses. i love the area and you're right, i need to get to know the campuses.

as for the co-ops, i've heard a lot about them, but never fully understood them. some have told me it's like a paid internship that you get to keep after you graduate, others have described it more like a work-study program. are you in a co-op and if you are, can you describe it?

by the way, i plan to go as far as i can in my education so the amount of time i spend in school isn't really an issue to me.

thanks a lot for the great info

Comment

Some schools are better at placing graduates into jobs than others, usually because of differences in administration between the schools. Find a school that has a high placement ratio. Your degree doesn't matter after a few years experience in a job so find a school that's going to actually CARE about helping you get a job.
                    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

coming from someone with an engineering degree from a very good school and real life experience, just study a major that will give you a job when you graduate. The school where you came from matters but the experience and major matter more.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by LinX View Post
                        coming from someone with an engineering degree from a very good school and real life experience, just study a major that will give you a job when you graduate. The school where you came from matters but the experience and major matter more.
                        what are good majors to uhh... major in? and mayeb a couple minors too. i want to be as prepared as possible.

what school did you go to? if you don't mind me asking

Comment

i went into san jose state for engineering and the competition was heavy. i couldnt handle it after 2.5 yrs and dropped out. best of luck and i love engineering and the concepts behind it but i cant handle the general ed requirements.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                            i went into san jose state for engineering and the competition was heavy. i couldnt handle it after 2.5 yrs and dropped out. best of luck and i love engineering and the concepts behind it but i cant handle the general ed requirements.
                            i'm assuming the requirements aren't simply basic math and science huh?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X