opinions on axel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on axel

hey guys i just found out i have a completely torn outer cv boot on the teg and i think it is still the OEM axles and i really want to keep them (the boots just gave out so no clicking yet). i have a couple choices but very unsure which way i want to take.

1) i could get the oem parts from the dealer and REPAIR the axel assembly. i think the parts would run about 45 dollars. in the diagram below its #3 and #26

2) i could take the less labor intensive route and pick up a "new" aftermarket axel from advance auto parts for 70 bux.
    service the OEM axels
    16.67%
    get aftermarket axels and call it a day
    83.33%

Axel Rose?

If the boot is torn, I don't know that I'd reuse the axles. For all the effort it'd take to replace the boot, if there's dirt in there at all, the joint will fail fairly soon anyway.

There are boots that come in 2 pieces... nobody has ever been pleased with those.

Comment

yea the dirt that might have got inside is what has me worried. anyone ever purchase re manufactured axles from honda/acura?

Comment

Do they even offer remanufactured axles? I use axles from Napa and Autozone... haven't had any problems with those (Napa especially... I went about 7 years on one!)

Comment

yea Acuraautomotiveparts.com offer re mans. the are around 130 per axle. i might have to try that route

Comment

Napa shafts are king. Invest in them. I had napas in both my cb's. Best money i probably ever spent on them, too.
            "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
            "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
            Disregard females, acquire currency
            BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

hey, when i went to get my inspection done, there was a guy there who needed work on his axle boot, it was torn, the mechanic said, to get a boot at the auto store, and repalce the old boot, you can hold it in with clamps, the kind you have to screw to make it tight.
              **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
              Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
              Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                hey, when i went to get my inspection done, there was a guy there who needed work on his axle boot, it was torn, the mechanic said, to get a boot at the auto store, and repalce the old boot, you can hold it in with clamps, the kind you have to screw to make it tight.
                Bandaid. Not a good one either.
                "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                Disregard females, acquire currency
                BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

i have always used advanced auto parts drive shaft (new not reman) GSP is the brand i believe

haven't had one fail yet and have been driving my coupe since late 2007

i would not recommend remans b/c they will(cheaper companies maybe not honda or acura) sometimes put a larger bearing(or what ever the name is) in place of the worn piece and that can throw the balance off and cause the joint to become worn and break again
                  Last edited by quaidum; 08-31-2010, 11:55 PM.
                  ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

autozone remans are the worst.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by quaidum View Post
                      i have always used advanced auto parts drive shaft (new not reman) GSP is the brand i believe
                      ive used GSP on my other cars. the only complaint i have is they develop surface rust real easy and they dont come with the little rubber damper like OEM axles

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        autozone remans are the worst.
                        Never had a problem with mine.
                        To-Do List for Today
                        Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by 460sx View Post
                          Never had a problem with mine.
                          i have been through about 15 autozone axles on both sides of my car since 2005. They always click or vibrate. I have also snapped about 3 or 4 as well
                          My Members Ride Thread

Comment

I wont lie, I beat the shit out of my car daily. Havent snapped an axle since I got my motor mount situation sorted out a few years ago.
                            To-Do List for Today
                            Be Awesome

Comment

If you open the axle up you can just clean all the dirt out and put it back together. So long as you clean the dirt out and they are still in good shape you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X