2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 questions

1: I've always joked about this but... If you were to fill your tank with half 89 and the other half 91 would you get 90 octane fuel?

2: Why do we turn our cars off while refueling? Theres no way a fire could start by fueling up the car with it running. Or else it would catch fire under normal use.

1. All I know is half shell and half chevron gives you v-tec gas.

2. Not all states have the gas pump handles that trap the fumes so the risk for a fire igniting is still present.

Also running newer cars with the gas cap off can cause a CEL to come on.

Originally posted by chessboxer
    We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
    Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

if you have a liquid fuel leak like my vw then there is a chance it could start a fire. there's plenty of oxygen around and it only takes one spark.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Leaving the car running is also spewing fumes from your sationary vehicle into the air where people are fueling. Get 12 cars all doing that, and it's going to be mighty hard to breathe. In NJ, every station is full service... so it's very rude (and dangerous) to leave your car running. The poor attendants are there breathing it in all day!

As for the octane... I assume it would do that. Octane booster would turn a full tank of 93 to like, 97 or something... I'm sure if you ran it on half a tank, it'd be higher.

Comment

Speaking of octane, I ran 15 gallons 93 and 2 gallons race gas all the way to AFM and my whole car stunk of race gas fumes the whole time.

Comment

In my area there is plenty of breeze, self-service, and like 2-3 cars max when I fill up. During the winter I leave the car running...during the summer I cut it off though.

The wifes car...being obd-2...deff. shut it off every time (cel issue mentioned above)

another myth is that it is unsafe to use a cell phone...not true

Now it is a fact...it is NOT safe to refill a portable gas tank with it sitting in the bed of a truck. Couple gas stations in my area burnt down cause of that.
            Last edited by bcjammerx; 07-25-2010, 11:49 PM.
            ____

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              In NJ, every station is full service... so it's very rude (and dangerous) to leave your car running.
              Speaking of such... i was in NJ yesterday and pumped my own gas. The guy waited near my window and i was like ( wtf? ) so i just got out and walked up to the machine. So he just left to help someone else lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                Speaking of such... i was in NJ yesterday and pumped my own gas. The guy waited near my window and i was like ( wtf? ) so i just got out and walked up to the machine. So he just left to help someone else lol.
                If a cop saw that, you'd have gotten a ticket. It's actually illegal to do that in NJ. The attendant could've gotten fired as well, if it was at someplace like Wawa.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                  In my area there is plenty of breeze, self-service, and like 2-3 cars max when I fill up. During the winter I leave the car running...during the summer I cut it off though.

The wifes car...being obd-2...deff. shut it off every time (cel issue mentioned above)

another myth is that it is unsafe to use a cell phone...not true

Now it is a fact...it is NOT safe to refill a portable gas tank with it sitting in the bed of a truck. Couple gas stations in my area burnt down cause of that.
                  Anything that causes a spark is a danger. I've never known a cell phone to cause a spark. Maybe back in the old days of the Zach Morris phone, a spark was a threat! I don't use my phone at the gas station simply because it's rude.

What's the danger of filling a portable can on a truck bed? I see that posted everywhere, and from what you say it's clearly a fire hazard, but why?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Anything that causes a spark is a danger. I've never known a cell phone to cause a spark. Maybe back in the old days of the Zach Morris phone, a spark was a threat! I don't use my phone at the gas station simply because it's rude.

What's the danger of filling a portable can on a truck bed? I see that posted everywhere, and from what you say it's clearly a fire hazard, but why?
                    Someone once told me that another reason for shutting the car off is because the cat is hot when running and if you spilt gas on it then it might spark...course...the cat stays hot even if the car is off. Takes a while to cool...

The gas running past the plastic builds up static electricity, by setting it on the ground it is...well... grounded...for some reason though it is not grounded when in the truck bed.

It was a few years ago but when I lived in Austin someone did that...and a couple years ago it happened here in North East Texas
                    ____

Comment

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

The hot cat doesn't though... The spark of starting the car is more of a threat than a hot cat. And if you manage to spill gas on a cat, you're TRYING to do so!

Comment

on oprah they said its the static electricity from when you exit the car, that causes a spark. she said its best to touch the metal body before grabbing the pump or unscrewing the gas cap...

not that i watch oprah...

>.>
                        <.<

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                          1: I've always joked about this but... If you were to fill your tank with half 89 and the other half 91 would you get 90 octane fuel?

2: Why do we turn our cars off while refueling? Theres no way a fire could start by fueling up the car with it running. Or else it would catch fire under normal use.
                          1: Actually yes..... or somewhere close to 90. Some fuel stations are what they call blended stations. They only have 2 tanks.... one for high and one for low. The mid grade is a result of both fuels being mixed on the way to the vehicle......

Comment

Working...
                          X