wyotech in Long Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wyotech in Long Beach

Has anyone gone there? Im thinking of taking a tour of the school. I have read the pros ans cons about this school but i have not read anything about the school in Long Beach.

They dont teach you crap for the money you pay. Go to a local community tech college, mo bang for your buck
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Just about everyone I know that has paid big bucks for those fancy schools doesn't come out knowing any more than people that go to smaller schools. They really only teach you the basics anyway. The real learning comes from your actual experience in the workplace.

Comment

Naw they teach you everything in 9 MONTHS! Ask me how that worked out.

Comment

And how much is anyone going to retain?

Honestly, I think all schools are like that. I went to community college for my associates, and then got my bachelors from Rutgers (which is ranked among the Ivy League schools, just not among them because it's not a private school...) I slept through Rutgers and got a higher GPA than I got at the community college, where I worked my ass off. NEITHER of those schools truly prepared me for working in the "real world"

All you pay for with a fancy school is the name. Unless you're going to a truly sub-par school, the cheaper schools are no worse. Sometimes better. Unless you think the name is going to help get you a job, and be worth the extra $10,000 or so you're going to spend... don't bother.

Could be worth checking it out though, so you can make your own decision.
          Just remember... be sure you really want to turn your hobby into your job. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to work on cars for a living! But that's just me.

Comment

Yup it sucks, and thats why I now work in IT now.

Yes Wyotech will suck you in with the fancy commercials and scouts and all that, remember thats what you are paying 22k for. Its a joke dont bother.

Comment

I suggest finding a shop that will let you do oil changes/brakes first... See if you like working on cars for a living... I know for a fact i wouldn't want to be working on other peoples cars into mid/late life.

Comment

Yea I cant stand working on cars anymore. I enjoy doing little simple shit but when it comes down to that one bolt holding up my day I get furious and go sit down somewhere for the rest of the day.

Comment

45 minutes on my own car makes my back hurt like hell. I can't imagine 8 hours of it... 5 days a week...

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Im still going to take the tour just to see what the hell that school is all about.I had no clue it was going to be that much just to go to mechanic school.

Comment

Be critical. They're going to shower you with hype. They could probably sell it so hard that they'd actually make ME want to go there!

I'd suggest going to a smaller, cheaper school to make the same comparisons.

Comment

Community college is where its at! i already paid 2k for 2 semesters and I already got a job making $11 an hour. Sure its a tech support gig but its a job!

Comment

Socal? be a smog technician, int he bay area we have positions that start at 16/hr.

im getting started at 15/hr cash once i get my license.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Get lucky and get a job like mine... I don't need any schooling to do what I do! I could have dropped out of kindergarten.

Comment

Some major colleges offer auto tech courses. Best part is that you get a true college degree with credits that will transfer. So when your ready to pursue something else you don't have to start all over. Plus it looks good on a resume!

Comment

Working...
                              X