I need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some advice

My whole life I worked on cars and loved it. I work on things like brakes to engine and motor work, excluding removing motors and transmissions and timing belts. I also done suspensions in countless cars and LOVE IT.

However since I graduated my community college with an AA in automotive I got a good job opportunity (on my bday) at this local shop. They are good people and I have done business with them before. I went for the interview and it went good and I got the job.

On Saturday the owner wanted me to come in and work on his BMW to service the rear brake rotors and resurface them with the brake lathe, which was no problem. I did it with a little frustration getting the rotor out but no biggie. Finished the car and boss was happy.

But as I was going home I couldn't help but feel very frustrated, pissed, lost, and confused. I never felt this way about working on cars. But every time I think about having to work in a shop on cars I get so mad. I don't understand what is the matter with me. Its not like im stressing at work or because of work.

Perhaps its because I don't like having a time limit and I like doing things at my own pace compared to a shop. But I had people tell me they need their cars by a certain time and I would get it done without a problem.

Im not scared of the job. But my parents are proud of me and im happy for the job opportunity but I feel as if im not happy and rather just do it as a side job and not mix my hobby with my work.

...what should I do?

Today after the brake job on boss's car, I went to my cousins house to do her rear brakes and rotors and I was truly enjoying it and got it done pretty quick, but why do I start trippin every time I think about my new job??
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

I dont know man.
    You need to relax. pretend like its your backyard when you go to work or something.
    Perhaps that positive vizualisation will help you to center yourself and work quickly, while not neccesarily worrying about the time limit.

Comment

Probably because at work, you HAVE to work on cars. You're not doing it just because you want to. When you're on your own, you choose which jobs you do, what cars, when, and how long you take. There's also a level of stress to perform (working on the boss's car the first day has to be tough...) On your own, you're not worried about impressing anyone that decides of you stay or go. You simply do it because you like it.

Give it some time. Remind yourself that there's no need to stress. If you continue to stress about it, quit. There's no reason to be unhappy, especially when it makes you unhappy doing something you normally enjoy!

Comment

Yea I used to love working on Hondas and crap but now, I just hate it.

Comment

I some what understand what you mean. I've taken three years worth of vocational classes in auto collision repair during high school thinking this is where I should be at.

After I graduated however, my interested slowly dwindled. At the time when I had the cb during school, I was on it everyday and proud of it, even with other cars I worked on. Would even stay after school to stay working on it more. Several months after graduation, I slowly dwindled away from working on the cb. After I sold it, I was sooo HAPPY ! Have no idea why, but it felt like a huge chunk of time as been given back to me because before then, I would spend to many hours on the car in a giving week.

Now when I get a chance to fix a car, like my moms or a friend, I do it from pure joy.

I guess my car would equal the "work"
          and the others as a "hobby"

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
          -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Working...
          X