X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigslist diamond ad leads to deadly home invasion, police say

Craigslist diamond ad leads to deadly home invasion, police say

By Gabriel Falcon, AC360 Writer
    May 7, 2010 -- Updated 2051 GMT (0451 HKT)

James Sanders was shot and killed in a home invasion after he and his wife placed an ad in Craigslist.

Amanda Rice and Joshua Reese were taken into custody May 1 after a car stop in California.

Clabron Berniard surrendered on Thursday; Kiyoshi A. Higashi was arrested during the May 1 car stop.

(CNN) -- Four suspects have been charged with first-degree murder in connection with a home invasion that began with an ad on Craigslist, Washington state authorities said Friday.

Three of the suspects were arrested on May 1. A fourth suspect, Clabon Terrel Berniard, 23, turned himself in Thursday, police said. Berniard and the others are accused of killing a man on April 28 in Edgewood, a city outside Tacoma. They are charged with first-degree murder, robbery and assault.

The case began when James Sanders and his wife posted an ad on Craigslist offering a diamond ring for $1,050, said Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist. Sanders arranged to meet prospective buyers of the ring at the family's home, the prosecutor said.

"Two people show up and act like a couple looking for a ring for the mother-in-law," Lindquist said. But once they entered the house, he said, the man posing as the husband pulled out a handgun.

The victim, his wife, and their sons, ages 14 and 10, were restrained with plastic handcuffs, Lindquist said. Two other suspects then entered the home. One pistol-whipped the older son, he said.

Sanders broke out of his restraints and attempted to defend the 14-year-old, and was shot three times, the prosecutor said.

"While this is going on," Lindquist said, "other bad guys are kicking Mom in the head while she's lying on the floor."

The three suspects arrested in May were caught in California after a traffic stop. They have been identified as Kiyoshi A. Higashi, 22, of Tacoma; Joshua N. Reese, 20, also from Tacoma; and Amanda C. Knight, 21, from Sumner.

Knight posted bail in California and subsequently surrendered to authorities in Sumner on Tuesday, authorities said. She pleaded not guilty at her arraignment. Her bail was set at $2 million.

Higashi, Reese and Berniard are expected to be arraigned next week.

The killing came a year after a medical student in Boston, Massachusetts, was charged with killing a woman who advertised a massage service on Craigslist.

"You hate to tell people to be wary of your fellow citizens, but the reality is you've got to be wary when you are doing something when interacting with strangers on Craigslist," prosecutor Lindquist said.

"This is a cautionary tale."
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

My mom just told me about this a few minutes ago after i told her i looked on craigslist for car parts. She was like " I dont want anyone comming to this house anymore craigslist isnt safe "

Comment

Holy shit. People tell complete strangers over the internet to come to their house to get a $1000 ring?

I feel bad for the family... but that was a idiotic meeting place.

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

This is horrible and those people deserve to burn in hell....but really if your offering anything of value on something where anyone and anything can read it you should take some precautions to ensure this doenst happen.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Originally posted by s2kracer
          I hope they burn in hell! What the hell is wrong with people these days? Is it just me or are there more and more gang bangers around than ever before? I live in what used to be a Mr. Rogers neighborhood but now-a-days people are so rude. Criminals breeding criminals I guess
          This is what happens when people feel a sense of entitlement. Everyone wants the high life but isn't willing to work to get there.
          My Car

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
            This is what happens when people feel a sense of entitlement. Everyone wants the high life but isn't willing to work to get there.
            Yep....and in a case liek this I can see how tempting it would be.....seems like an easy gig.....jack the people for the ring and be gone.....apparently not everything goes as planned though.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
              Holy shit. People tell complete strangers over the internet to come to their house to get a $1000 ring?

I feel bad for the family... but that was a idiotic meeting place.
              It has nothing to do with the meeting place. The problem is criminals with guns who were after something very specific. Say they meet at a parking lot, who's going to stop them from holding them up there? And NO ONE will ever take every precaution against home invasions and hold ups when selling their stuff. They might as well live in an armored car, even then there are people who will still try and rob them if they want it bad enough.

People invite others to their house for goods because that is where it's at, hundreds if not thousands of people do it every single day and there is hardly ever a case like this. I find it incredibly suspicious if they don't invite you to their house as a meeting point. It's all about which side the criminal is on.
              Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamW View Post
                It has nothing to do with the meeting place. The problem is criminals with guns who were after something very specific. Say they meet at a parking lot, who's going to stop them from holding them up there? And NO ONE will ever take every precaution against home invasions and hold ups when selling their stuff. They might as well live in an armored car, even then there are people who will still try and rob them if they want it bad enough.

People invite others to their house for goods because that is where it's at, hundreds if not thousands of people do it every single day and there is hardly ever a case like this. I find it incredibly suspicious if they don't invite you to their house as a meeting point. It's all about which side the criminal is on.
                The problem is criminals. They could have done the same thing with another weapon.

When selling, it's best to meet in an public area with a friend or two.
                My Car

Comment

Meet at a very public place.....I doubt very much people would bust a cap in my ass if I made them meet me at a tim hortons that is busy 24/7

I personally dont want ANYONE coming to my residence....Im not a criminal or a scam artist but you cant trust anyone these days.

mchaley beat me to it ahha

Comment

I knew about this shooting a few days ago. Glad those motherfuckers got caught. Fucking piece of shit scum. I agree it was a bad decision to meet at the home, BUT why not just take the ring and GTFO...why pistol whip the son, kick the mom in the head, shoot the dad, etc etc. Motherfucking idiots.

OH YEA and why use PLASTIC handcuffs? You can easily buy the real cop cuffs at the B&I...they live in Tacoma, they know where the shit is at. Dumbfucks.
                    VIP Status.

Comment

It has nothing to do with the meeting place. The problem is criminals with guns who were after something very specific. Say they meet at a parking lot, who's going to stop them from holding them up there?
                      1.) If you meet in public, someone could call the police.
                      2.) If the police show up in time, they arrest the criminal.
                      3.) If the police don't show up in time, security cameras will get their plate number and general appearance.

I find it incredibly suspicious if they don't invite you to their house as a meeting point.
                      I will NEVER, EVER, EVER, tell a complete stranger online where I live, nor meet them here. Even if (s)he doesn't attempt to rob/murder me, they'll at least get a free look at what I have and where I have it.

1999 BMW M3
                      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

What idiots post a craigslist listing and have the buyers meet at their house? Common sense could have told you to meet at a public area such as a Walmart, or the Mall.

I ALWAYS arrange to meet at a public place, that is surrounded by ALOT of people.

I feel sorry about what happened, but you gotta ask yourself, how stupid can people be these days?

[ My Car Domian ] - [ My Members Ride Thread ] - [ Facebook ]

My Top CB7Tuners :

TypeG
                        aww_shiet
                        91accordexr33

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                          I knew about this shooting a few days ago. Glad those motherfuckers got caught. Fucking piece of shit scum. I agree it was a bad decision to meet at the home, BUT why not just take the ring and GTFO...why pistol whip the son, kick the mom in the head, shoot the dad, etc etc. Motherfucking idiots.

OH YEA and why use PLASTIC handcuffs? You can easily buy the real cop cuffs at the B&I...they live in Tacoma, they know where the shit is at. Dumbfucks.
                          I'm sure they used zip ties... cheap and they won't raise questions. Plus had they used real handcuffs I'm 99% sure they have a serial number and could be traced back. I'm sure they didn't use these:

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                          1.) If you meet in public, someone could call the police.
                          2.) If the police show up in time, they arrest the criminal.
                          3.) If the police don't show up in time, security cameras will get their plate number and general appearance.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER, tell a complete stranger online where I live, nor meet them here. Even if (s)he doesn't attempt to rob/murder me, they'll at least get a free look at what I have and where I have it.
                          I've had craigslisters come to my house. I've also... been prepared for the worst.

Originally posted by LordXaero View Post
                          What idiots post a craigslist listing and have the buyers meet at their house? Common sense could have told you to meet at a public area such as a Walmart, or the Mall.

I ALWAYS arrange to meet at a public place, that is surrounded by ALOT of people.

I feel sorry about what happened, but you gotta ask yourself, how stupid can people be these days?
                          Not stupid, complacent.
                          My Car

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                            She was like " I dont want anyone comming to this house anymore craigslist isnt safe "
                            Anymore? I don't trust the world, especially with my family. Meet them jokers at police departments.
                            MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

you take a life or help in taking a life, you should get yours taken. you went there with a gun, you intended on killing someone if it didnt go your way. death penalty for all of them. period. im tired of thieves. im tired of killers. you killed someone, you should die the same way. the guy who shot should be killed by firing squad along with the girl. the other 2 who beat up the mom should be beat up AND given life in prison. and i dont mean the causal 25yrs. i mean consecutive sentences. so they dont leave until their dead.

f*** bastards who are too dumb, stupid, lazy, or any other word in the dictionary who WONT go out and find a job.

Comment

Working...
                              X