Talk me out of buying an Accord...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me out of buying an Accord...?

I recently got a "real" job and, of course, the first thing I decided to buy is a car... a fun car that is also comfortable enough for my gf and mother to go somewhere with me, and practical/reliable enough to drive often/in winter and not have to fix anything.

I looked at S2000s but it would have to sit ALL winter which I don't like....

looked at Mustangs/Camaros but they are too slow... I cant afford a brand new Camaro

looked at C5 Vettes but they are slow and not practical just like an s2000

looked at WRXs but to get one in good condition and make it fast Im looking at close to 20Gs which is a bit more than what I want to spend

I thought about a newer civic si but once again I would need to spend 20Gs to get one and make it fast. I just can't justify spending that much on a project car.

So after looking at pros and cons of all cars I looked at, a CB or CD Accord seems like the best option. It is easy to make it handle great and easy to make it fast, and at the same time it won't have to sit in the winter and I know shit won't break on it. Not to mention that go for $700-1000 everywhere. It just seems like a better car overall... no matter what you compare it to (unless we get into the 20G+ price range).

For around 5Gs I could have a 300hp+ CB/CD that handles better than MOST cars.... and that idea is very tempting. If I go that route, I'll spend 10-12Gs less than what I was planning on spending!

Maybe I only want an Accord because I am used to working on them. I feel like I should have moved on to something else but it seems like there is just nothing out there that has more Pros than an Accord.

Thoughts?

Solution: You dont need anything fast. Save your money.

Comment

The new Si can be made pretty fast for very little money... of course, it depends on what you consider fast!

A CB is always a good option, if you feel like putting the work into it. A $1000 CB will take a few thousand dollars of restoration before it should be modified for performance. I could EASILY drop $20,000 into a CB7 to make it "like new" and powerful enough to be competitive. That's one reason my CB has been dropped to project status, and I'm in the market for a "nice" car to sit alongside of it.

The CB or Si would be your best options. The older domestics aren't great, and the newer ones are out of your price range. The WRX is something I'd be wary of... they CAN be great cars, but many have been abused, either by hard use or ignorance... or both. I don't think I'd ever buy a used turbo car without expecting it to be a project. Certainly not a sub-$40,000 used turbo car (maybe a 335i... )

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
        Solution: You dont need anything fast. Save your money.
        For what? I don't need to buy anything unless I was saving for an expensive car.

Comment

Ok, the s2k is totally impractical.

I'm confused though. Camaro's and mustangs are too slow? You wanna put 5g's into an accord and make it fast? How bout putting $500 into a camaro or mustang to install a new set of cams and bumping up the horsepower quite a bit???

I'm all about my accord, but I also know that when it comes to small block chevy's and ford motors, you can get crazy horsepower and torque with minimal amounts of money.

Now, if you mean getting an accord for $500 and putting 5 g's into it for a total of $5500, vs. buying a mustang or camaro for $5000+ then adding performance parts, I see what you're getting at.

I would first determine your total budget and see what can be done from there.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

What you want is a hot hatch
            Bought From : SE_DynamiK, oneoffaccord, and TopCop182

Click It!>>>><<<<Click It!

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
              For what? I don't need to buy anything unless I was saving for an expensive car.
              a house

buy the accord and do what you want....its the most practical decision

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                The new Si can be made pretty fast for very little money... of course, it depends on what you consider fast!

A CB is always a good option, if you feel like putting the work into it. A $1000 CB will take a few thousand dollars of restoration before it should be modified for performance. I could EASILY drop $20,000 into a CB7 to make it "like new" and powerful enough to be competitive. That's one reason my CB has been dropped to project status, and I'm in the market for a "nice" car to sit alongside of it.

The CB or Si would be your best options. The older domestics aren't great, and the newer ones are out of your price range. The WRX is something I'd be wary of... they CAN be great cars, but many have been abused, either by hard use or ignorance... or both. I don't think I'd ever buy a used turbo car without expecting it to be a project. Certainly not a sub-$40,000 used turbo car (maybe a 335i... )
                It depends on what kind of car it is, if it is a FWD Honda, then I would want somewhere in the 300-400hp range. If its a heavy car, then I would want at least 500hp.

I've been looking at all kinds of cars and I see Accords in good condition for for around 1000 on Ebay/CL. Not all are in good condition, but there are some clean ones with no rust.

According to my calculations, a CB/CD would cost about 5,000-6,000 with new suspension, brakes, brake lines, ball joints, tires, rebuild cylinder head, H23 IM, all reg engine maintenance, nice turbo setup with a mitsu 16G and external WG, chipped ECU, H22 trans, clutch, flywheel, exhaust, and engine mounts. Now this is taking a couple of weekends to do all the labor myself.

SIs are nice too. They handle great "out of the box". I've seen some with high miles for around 12-14Gs. I would definitely want it to turbo it, my guess is that it is going to be around 3Gs to turbo it properly doing all labor and tuning myself. This is considerably more expensive than a CB but a great car too.

Like I mentioned above, I feel like I should have moved to something that is not "wrong wheel drive" as everybody calls these cars. Maybe it's just because most people associate the word Honda with cars for younger people who cannot afford anything fast.

Comment

Originally posted by King James View Post
                  a house

buy the accord and do what you want....its the most practical decision
                  already got money for a down payment, just see no point in moving out of my parents house until I get married which I am doing next year still got a year to mess around with cars though

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
                    Ok, the s2k is totally impractical.

I'm confused though. Camaro's and mustangs are too slow? You wanna put 5g's into an accord and make it fast? How bout putting $500 into a camaro or mustang to install a new set of cams and bumping up the horsepower quite a bit???

I'm all about my accord, but I also know that when it comes to small block chevy's and ford motors, you can get crazy horsepower and torque with minimal amounts of money.

Now, if you mean getting an accord for $500 and putting 5 g's into it for a total of $5500, vs. buying a mustang or camaro for $5000+ then adding performance parts, I see what you're getting at.

I would first determine your total budget and see what can be done from there.
                    Yes I mean getting an Accord for around 1G and then putting 4-5 into it to make it handle good and make some power.

My total budget is around 15-17Gs. However that doesn't mean I absolutely have to spend all that money.

I drove Mustangs and Camaros, there is NOTHING you can do with them to make them handle like a Honda. They handle like a dump truck.

Honestly with their ~300hp, they feel like they have absolutely no power when you press on the gas pedal.

I know that for around 1-2G you can add 100hp to a Mustang but if it is THAT slow stock, then I seriously doubt 100 extra horses are going to change much (only a 30% improvement) especially because you are sacrificing some low end if you are naturally aspirated and start increasing power that much without adding compression or displacement.

Like I said, I looked at Vettes, they are slow (I can't afford a C6 Z06) plus they are very problematic. And it will have to sit from November until April which would suck.

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                      already got money for a down payment, just see no point in moving out of my parents house until I get married which I am doing next year still got a year to mess around with cars though
                      you realize that if you have a bigger down payment you'll have lower monthly payments right?

And S2k's aren't that impractical... you just need to know how to handle rwd in different conditions. Stock they are a hell of a lot more fun than any of the other cars mentioned.
                      "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                      - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I only say s2k is impractical cause it's a 2 seater. He's meantioned already that he needs more than two seats....

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

you seriously think a c5 vette is slow? WOW. I'd take a vette over a cb7 anyday.
                          COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by choogee3 View Post
                            What you want is a hot hatch
                            You mean like an EG hatch? Already got a 1900lbs Civic, my gf will never get in it, its too noisy and scary for her. Plus the car is a death trap, can't drive it on a busy highway, you get hit by an SUV, your dead.

Or you mean like a VW? I don't like them at all, no reliability = no love.

Comment

For $5500 you can just buy Chessboxer's old accord

Its already boosted...

Comment

Working...
                              X