Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car #2 possibility...99 Audi A6 Quattro (AWD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car #2 possibility...99 Audi A6 Quattro (AWD)

ok...I have looked at this car a few times and the guy selling it wants blue book price for it ($5200 in "Excellent" condition). Now I know the pics make the car look like crap...but the body, paint, and leather interior are in excellent condition. The problems that I found are below:

- Engine does not run properly...has been sitting for a year...engine replaced about 1 1/2 years ago. The engine will start...but it will not idle, you have to keep the RPM's above 2000, but it runs fine up there...I am thinking it has a Major Vacuum leak somewhere.

Needs the following items also:
    - Front CV Axles
    - Front Inner and Outer Tie Rods
    - Passenger seat control switch
    - Mirror Control Switch
    - Security Disable Switch
    - Instrument Cluster (OUCH...$1500 installed)
    - Full Tune-up
    - Serpentine Belt
    - 4-wheel Alignment

I offered the guy $2000...and he thought that was too low, but the Blue Book price in "Fair" condition was $4200. The car has 122k miles...I would like everyones opinion on this...you guys helped me out with the Lexus I posted last month too and kept me from blowing 14k on that...here is the pics and an Excel spreadsheet I made up for him...I figured he wanted to see everything in writing :-)

Quote in Excel format:
    http://www.scribd.com/full/30775831?...vqi4p38p52qvuw

Photos:

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
    ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
    US Navy Electrician
    Contact me if you need help on the side.
    '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
    '01 Civic LX
    '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

meh, sorry but i dislike audi's overall, see them everyday for repairs

they're alright...but maybe get something that'd make a slightly better 2nd car?

something cheaper idk

life is good.

Comment

Audi's and VWs are notorious for electrical problems. Don't get them, unless you like headaches.

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I was considering an A4. My friend, who LOVES that car, talked me out of it. He said his friend's dad had one, and it developed some problems at a fairly young age... he got rid of it because it was more than the car was worth to fix it!

Audis are amazing cars when they work, but from what I've learned... when they break, they BREAK. They're fairly complex mechanically and electrically, and often cost an arm and a leg to fix.

If you can get this car for $2000, and you're confident that you can fix it... MAYBE it's a good idea. Still, keep in mind that it's an 11 year old car.

Personally, I wouldn't take on the project. I don't think I'd ever buy an Audi unless it was new, and had a warranty. If I'm not paying out of pocket to fix it, I'd love it. If I have to pay when it breaks... I'll pass.

Comment

you sdhould get the quattro wagon.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            I was considering an A4. My friend, who LOVES that car, talked me out of it. He said his friend's dad had one, and it developed some problems at a fairly young age... he got rid of it because it was more than the car was worth to fix it!

Audis are amazing cars when they work, but from what I've learned... when they break, they BREAK. They're fairly complex mechanically and electrically, and often cost an arm and a leg to fix.

If you can get this car for $2000, and you're confident that you can fix it... MAYBE it's a good idea. Still, keep in mind that it's an 11 year old car.

Personally, I wouldn't take on the project. I don't think I'd ever buy an Audi unless it was new, and had a warranty. If I'm not paying out of pocket to fix it, I'd love it. If I have to pay when it breaks... I'll pass.
            Well...i am definitely able to fix it myself...(16 ASE's and Way too many tools)...And the cluster that I quoted the guy I could probably live with the issue its having...the information center display is the only thing acting up there...all the gauges work perfectly...but I am sensing that it may have more underlying issues that I can't see right now. But it is quite Beautiful :-)
            "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
            ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
            US Navy Electrician
            Contact me if you need help on the side.
            '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
            '01 Civic LX
            '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

Originally posted by drkshdw107 View Post
              Well...i am definitely able to fix it myself...(16 ASE's and Way too many tools)...And the cluster that I quoted the guy I could probably live with the issue its having...the information center display is the only thing acting up there...all the gauges work perfectly...but I am sensing that it may have more underlying issues that I can't see right now. But it is quite Beautiful :-)
              Honestly 2 grand is pushing it for it... Id pay $1500 for it... Stay firm at 2g if you are willing.. There is a reason those cars are so cheap used..... 7 series, a6, a8, Lincoln ls etc.. I see those go for sub 2g all the times.. excluding the ls they great cars to drive when they are working though

Comment

Off topic: What are the 2 red lights closest to the lisence plate on the rear?

I have seen them driving around and they arent brake lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                  Off topic: What are the 2 red lights closest to the lisence plate on the rear?

I have seen them driving around and they arent brake lights.
                  I cant see the pics but I am assume you are talking about the rear fogs..

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                    Honestly 2 grand is pushing it for it... Id pay $1500 for it... Stay firm at 2g if you are willing.. There is a reason those cars are so cheap used..... 7 series, a6, a8, Lincoln ls etc.. I see those go for sub 2g all the times.. excluding the ls they great cars to drive when they are working though
                    I LOVE the LS. If they weren't slow as balls, I'd probably be choosing that over a CTS-V. The Lincoln LS is quite possibly one of the best looking cars ever, IMO. I saw two silver ones today that looked brand new off the lot.

I usually see them going for $5000+

Comment

German cars will fuckin rape you then the wallet. They are great for comfort but when it comes time to fix not just anyone can fix them for 1 two the longer ride on it the worse it gets. And you have to have special tools to fix them when it comes to certain things.

Goodluck cause it aint cheap perhaps you should get a warrantee on it the platinum so you dont have to touch it its only say what 150 extra a month. I rather pay that then 4grand out of pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                        I cant see the pics but I am assume you are talking about the rear fogs..
                        Why would you have 2 rear fog lights? Wouldnt people confuse that for brake lights?

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          Audi's and VWs are notorious for electrical problems. Don't get them, unless you like headaches.

NOT all Audi and VDubs are.
                          RETIRED...

Comment

Basically, every 1996+ Audi and VW that I've known personally has had serious issues, most electrical.

When they work, they're fantastic cars. When they break... You have to REALLY love that car to fix it!

Trav, didn't you say the Corrado you have (had?) was a money pit?

Comment

nice a member from VA...

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Working...
                              X