Roof's Fading.....some options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof's Fading.....some options

Lately, more and more I've noticed that my roof is fading pretty bad from this AZ sun. No matter how much i wash/wax it for protection, it's getting worse.

Instead of painting it, you think a vinyl overlay on top of it would be the wrong way to go? I've got a CF hood already, I was thinking maybe black? or do they make a CF overlay to make it match the hood? Idk, just pondering the idea though. I've seen entire cars done in that matte black overlay so it shouldn't be that bad right?

If I were to repaint just that section, I'd might as well do the whole car and that would cost more than i'd like...for it to be done right anyways.

What are your thoughts?

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Id say CF overlay, if you can find it.
    Then, CF trunk.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188155
    Bought from: ChampCoupe
    Sold to:Losiracer2

Comment

"I see a (faded roof) and i want to PAINT IT BLACK"

I say black. Cuz any kind of "overlay" you put on will evetually start coming off and peeling. Even if you just roller paint that shit, lol, i still say black.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
      Originally posted by Jarrett
      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
        "I see a (faded roof) and i want to PAINT IT BLACK"

I say black. Cuz any kind of "overlay" you put on will evetually start coming off and peeling. Even if you just roller paint that shit, lol, i still say black.
        yeah, well if the overlay is good enough, like the 3M film that's on my taillights, then I might as well go all out and get a CF style one to match my hood right? I mean I'll know it's not real but graphics nowadays are getting so good, that it's hard to tell.

member's ride thread
        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

i would just sand it...paint it two tones of black, then gloss
          VS

Mercyboy: I rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

MERCYBOY THREAD:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158241
          1990 RHD Honda accord si CB3 Canada http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196287
          MY CB7 ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJID_IxwiNY

Comment

Originally posted by mercyboy View Post
            i would just sand it...paint it two tones of black, then gloss
            I don't know how to paint though lol. And I might screw up parts that I didn't mean to paint in the process. Don't you need a paint booth? and 3 rolls of painter's tape? how much could a vinyl overlay cost? Anyone do this before?

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

leave it, nobody looks at the roof anyways.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                leave it, nobody looks at the roof anyways.
                if you're 6ft tall, you can see the roof pretty clearly lol. Is it the clearcoat thats gone? or actually the paint being sunfaded? It appears whitish

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

clear is oxidizing. wax will fix it for a week and then it will appear again.
                  I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    clear is oxidizing. wax will fix it for a week and then it will appear again.
                    so is it similar to what the CF hoods do overtime? Could I just reclear the roof and it'll be good again?

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

YES! probably a better idea.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

i say repaint.

life is good.

Comment

i am having the same problem and gave up on the waxing it. would wet sanding then re-clear coating be a good idea? I say that cf vinyl to match the hood would look nice IMO

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...13#post2872413

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                            so is it similar to what the CF hoods do overtime? Could I just reclear the roof and it'll be good again?
                            No.

The CB7 is painted with a single stage paint, which means that the clear and the paint are mixed together.

Newer cars have a 2 stage paint process (color then clear) which allows you to reclear.

However, a body shop should be able to clean it up and fix it as well as match it reasonably well (just like the other stuff you have had painted). Unfortunately, over time, Seattle Silver is fairly notorious for fading. They will most likely paint in two stages, which is good because then you can have it recleared if necessary down the road, although it will be unlikely to ever need it again.
                            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I say blackk would look nice, but carbon fiber color would look sick.

92 Accord Cb7 ^^
                              My Ride Thread~~Click Below.
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176232

Comment

Working...
                              X