Tips to reduce emissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips to reduce emissions?

My car repeatedly fails emissions. I cannot tell you how many times I've failed with the many cars I've owned here in AZ.

I'm planning on giving up on cars all together, and using public transportation and my bike for everything.

So fucking fed up.

Went the first time and failed MISERABLY on CO Loaded, and HC & CO Idle.

Got a catalytic converter installed (in lieu of the "test pipe" that was there), went back and still failing in those 3 areas, with only slightly better results on the idle readings, and an INCREASE on the loaded CO reading!!!?!??

What the fuck do I do? The car seems to be running tip-top, I got it super hot before bringing it into the testing center, I have a (fairly) new O2 sensor.

I just don't know what to do. I barely have any money to put in to the car anymore.

ps, this isnt a CB7.. 92 civic hatch auto.

well for me...i would probably get it a nice tuned up maintainence...cause a dirty engine is bad engine....i would change spark plugs...oil with engine flush..new filter and mabye sea foam or duralube.....if i were u put duralube and you will pass inspection
    VS

Mercyboy: I rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

MERCYBOY THREAD:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158241
    1990 RHD Honda accord si CB3 Canada http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196287
    MY CB7 ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJID_IxwiNY

Comment

plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all less than 9 months old.

it is due for an oil change, but I highly doubt that will change the emissions output that much.

I suppose I could seafoam it, but I don't see that making that much of a change either.

Almost thinking of just selling the car.

Comment

Dude, let me tell you something here that worked like a motherfucking charm for me, so I'm pretty damn sure it'll work for you too.

On my old DSM, the fucker was running pig rich. I mean absolutely rich, failed emissions with the high flow cat on there. I knew it wouldn't pass without the cat, so I had one put on.

Seafoamed the engine through the brake booster...used a whole can. Then filled the gas tank HALF WAY with premium (I ALWAYS run premium anyways) and put in a whole bottle of Seafoam in there. Drove around like crazy until it got barely above the empty line.

Went to Home Depot and bought ONE GALLON of denatured alcohol. You get it in the paint section. Get DENATURED alcohol, not any other type of alcohol you see there.

Put in the whole gallon and drive your car NORMAL...don't romp on it, don't speed....drive it normal, let it warm up fully. Drive it on the highway at 60mph for a little bit, then head STRAIGHT to the emissions place. LEAVE THE CAR RUNNING until they tell you to turn it off.

When they run your car, you will blow damn near 0's on all 3 parts of the test. I still have my printout with my readings and what is acceptable. I was absolutely thrilled. Pig rich DSM passed with flying fucking colors and the emissions tech just looked at me like "WTF!?"
        VIP Status.

Comment

OH YEA and after you do your test and you're all giddy from passing, go fill up your car with gas....FULL TANK. Fill it with premium. It'll dilute the alcohol so you don't damage any fuel lines or anything.

/That is all.
          VIP Status.

Comment

good tips!

researched it, and it seems many people do the same thing to pass, with the same disclaimers (could damage rubber and plastic parts in the engine/fuel system)

I'm going to try to retard the timing by turning my distributor first.. I think I remember turning it to advance to try and get more "pep" from the car.

anyone know which way to turn it to retard the timing?

Comment

Post all of the readings!

Comment

These are my retest failed readings:

Hydrocarbons (HC) in PPM

Loaded Reading: 185
                Loaded Limit: 220

Idle Reading: 389
                Idle Limit: 220

Carbon Monoxide (CO) in %

Loaded Reading: 1.74
                Loaded Limit: 1.20

Idle Reading: 2.04
                Idle Limit: 1.20

Comment

Originally posted by Phempa View Post
                  good tips!

researched it, and it seems many people do the same thing to pass, with the same disclaimers (could damage rubber and plastic parts in the engine/fuel system)

I'm going to try to retard the timing by turning my distributor first.. I think I remember turning it to advance to try and get more "pep" from the car.

anyone know which way to turn it to retard the timing?
                  I think it's toward the windshield. I'm not sure for certain though. I did this when my GS-R wouldn't pass emissions here. I was lucky because even with the timing retarded it was at the limit.

Good luck.

Comment

odd how a civic cant pass emissions. they dont even have egr or Air injection. i put a brand new denso o2 in my 93 coupe and it went from 3% to .5% in CO. bring down CO and HC will follow.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Dang, went to home depot and did the alcohol deal. My NOX passed but my HC is way too rich.
                      Gonna retest tomorrow with untainted gas tomorrow and see what my numbers are. Hope the NOX will stay down. Thinking of retarding my ignition timing to 14 degrees. Has anyone had any luck?

Comment

Is the PCV valve working? And all your EVAP stuff is hooked up? nothing's missing? try cleaning the EGR valve w/ carb cleaner?

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                        X