Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Technology to catch speeders (ESP. NJ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Technology to catch speeders (ESP. NJ)

check itttt

N.J. Employs New Technology To Catch Speeders
    Reporting
    Cydney Long HAMMONTON, N.J. (CBS 3)

Pinpoint technology is being used in the game of cat and mouse on the Atlantic City Expressway. Traditional troop car radar is not being phased out, but new, amazingly accurate laser guns are aimed to catch drivers who are disobeying the speed limit.
    CBS

Just in time for summer, authorities are deploying a new weapon to catch speeders.

Pinpoint technology is being used in the game of cat and mouse on the Atlantic City Expressway. Traditional troop car radar is not being phased out, but new, amazingly accurate laser guns are aimed to catch drivers who are disobeying the speed limit.

N.J. State Trooper Colin McNulty can't miss.

"The last reading was 78 miles per hour," N.J. State Trooper Colin McNulty said.

Starting Wednesday, state police have two new laser radar guns in their arsenal to crack down on speeders along the Atlantic City Expressway.

So drivers beware, the signs are posted.

"That's why so many people are getting killed in car accidents because they're going too fast, slow down, live longer," Ventnor Driver Chuck Jeffries said.

The $5,000 laser guns have been snagging speeders on the turnpike and parkway the past few years. Now troopers along the expressway are anxious to have such accurate aim at their fingertips.

Unlike traditional radar which sends beams in shape of a "v" or cone, the scope on the latest device can zero in on a single speeding vehicle up to 1200 feet away.

"We can specifically identify a vehicle that's violating the speed limit by use of their front grill and license plate," Lt. Steven Cozzi said.

A chase car is signaled to catch the offender.

"Please slow down," South Jersey Transportation Authority Brenda Pierce said.

Police are especially worried about toll plaza employees because drivers blast through E-ZPass lanes often at twice the 15 mph limit.

Brenda Pierce spent nine years as a toll collector:

"It's unnerving at times. There out there 365 days a year," Pierce said.

"When I have my kids in the car and people are speeding, driving recklessly, I get real mad," one driver said.

"It puts the life of our toll collectors out here in jeopardy," McNulty said.

Think you can beat it? Then you are out of luck, because the regular radar detector will not detect laser beam use ahead so speeding penalties will range anywhere from $85-500 dollars a ticket up to jail time with the ultimate penalty of taking a life.

(© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

"That's why so many people are getting killed in car accidents because they're going too fast, slow down, live longer," Ventnor Driver Chuck Jeffries said.
    my fucking ass. speed doesnt equal death. it how the people drive. fucking ass hole, makes me want to spit in his face

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Laser really ...........new?..... laser has been used 90%+ on state highways here for the last 6+ years atleast.

Comment

"We can specifically identify a vehicle that's violating the speed limit by use of their front grill and license plate," Lt. Steven Cozzi said.
        Orly?

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
          Laser really ...........new?..... laser has been used 90%+ on state highways here for the last 6+ years atleast.
          its some new kind of laser or something. I gotta look more into it.

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
          Orly?
          haha yeaaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
            my fucking ass. speed doesnt equal death. it how the people drive. fucking ass hole, makes me want to spit in his face
            x2.

I don't know about spitting in the man's face, Wolf.

Who here thinks the speed limit should be raised?

Sure the 55mph speed limit was fine about 10 years ago, but now cars have been made safer and faster.
            If they still want to implement that law, then all cars should either come with less power from the factory or with speed limiters.

I drive everyday on the 295 highway, and 70-75mph seems to be the normal speed.
            Not racing or anything, but cruising in your lane.

Oh, and god forbid they see a Trooper on the side of the road, all these morons slam on their brakes.
            That would be a more likely cause of an accident than someone going 70-75 cruising in their own lane.

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
              x2.

I don't know about spitting in the man's face, Wolf.

Who here thinks the speed limit should be raised?

Sure the 55mph speed limit was fine about 10 years ago, but now cars have been made safer and faster.
              If they still want to implement that law, then all cars should either come with less power from the factory or with speed limiters.

I drive everyday on the 295 highway, and 70-75mph seems to be the normal speed.
              Not racing or anything, but cruising in your lane.

Oh, and god forbid they see a Trooper on the side of the road, all these morons slam on their brakes.
              That would be a more likely cause of an accident than someone going 70-75 cruising in their own lane.

sorry stupid people like that piss me off.

& yeah I stay at like 80mph here. which is the average around FL. seeing as the highways have 70mph posted

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Fick teh poolise beekoz demz trine tah sloe mee dawn buh dey kent beekoz mai kahr haz vtack.

And with that out of the way, I'll contribute.

I think this technology has been around for some time. I recall seeing something about it on tv where they showed the officer using a hand held radar gun to catch speeders.

But I could be wrong, maybe it was a different type or radar gun. Still, fascinating technology in those squad cars.

BTW cozzi my dad got his squad car yesterday. Guess what it is... (You'll never guess)
                "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                Disregard females, acquire currency
                BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Originally posted by turbomaxx View Post
                  BTW cozzi my dad got his squad car yesterday. Guess what it is... (You'll never guess)
                  Rollerskates?

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                    Rollerskates?
                    Moar engine.
                    "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                    Disregard females, acquire currency
                    BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

There's so many now...Lidar? or whatever it is, KA1 in radar, and sidofhsdnuigrngoxzcv shit...now i'm all fucked up.

Hmm. Square one.

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
                        Lt Steven Cozzi

relation???

Comment

Gus... Slam into someone at 55mph... or slam into them at 80mph. Which would you think would give you a better chance of survival?

How about road conditons (which are less than perfect, especially up here, where ice, road salt, and snowplows tear up the asphalt each year)? Or better yet, the tires, brakes, and suspension components that are on the cars driving on these roads. I can tell you right now, all of those things are quite worn on my car... and I'm aware of them! Most drivers have no clue if those things are in a safe condition. Stopping a car going 55 or 65 is much easier than stopping a car going 80mph.

Then add in stupid drivers. The faster you're going, the less time you have to react. The more time it takes for even a well-equipped and maintained car to stop... and the greater the chances are for a driver to lose control of the vehicle in a panic.

Rich, you're right about people slamming on the brakes when they see a cop... but that won't change with a higher speed limit. I nearly got in an accident today when the moron in front of me did that. The thing is, we were going 5 UNDER the limit when he saw the cop! People don't know how fast they are going. They see a cop, and they panic. Brakes are an automatic response... before they even look at the speedometer. (IMO, slamming on the brakes is an admission of guilt... if you can't slow down gradually, just fly past the cop and hope he doesn't feel like going after you!)

MOST cops will allow you to go 10-15 over the limit on the highway, especially if everyone is doing it. The only time I ever got pulled over on the highway was when I wasn't paying attention, and a cop nailed me (with the laser mentioned in the article), going 83 in a 65... and I was the only one on the road (the X5 that was in front of me knew about the speed trap, stomped the brakes, and cut over to the right lane just before we came over the hill). The way that cop talked to me, it seemed like I was going JUST over what he would allow... I bet if I was doing 79, he'd have let me continue without coming after me.

Comment

been had lasers.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                              been had lasers.
                              I bet the real difference is that these ones register people as going faster than they really are lol. You'll see a few years from now there will be some big lawsuit or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X