Restoring ur cb7 is it worth it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring ur cb7 is it worth it ?

well im on a debate im 19 year old college student my cb7 is my first car i love it easy to drive fun to drive . but to make it look nice and more realiable i need to spend around 2.5k . but in the end is it really worth it ?? is a 18 year old car i do love it but i save that money and get something better. im not a mechanic so i need to pay for most of the things i do to the car so that whats really has me thinking about the project. i know the felling of building a car i helped my cousin build a k24 bobble but i need end when he sold it coz financial problems he couldn't get most of the money he spend on it .

so what u guys think should i work hard for the cb or just save money and c if i can find a better looking one . let me know i really don't want to c her go like this

( btw English is not my first language so sry about the grammar )

In my opinion, hell yeah it's worth saving. If you think about the alternative, I doubt you could find the same sized car with the same options for cheaper than 2.5k.

What do you NEED done on the car? how many miles?

I have probably about $2k in my car but I also have a brand new timing belt, all gaskets, etc related, ram air, enkei rims, stainless steel headers all the way back to the magnaflow cat and cat-back magnaflow exhaust. Driving it makes me feel happy. Driving it in the winter makes me cry.. god damn salt.
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

PS: where are you from?
      My Car

Comment

Obviously it is not financially worth it... Especially if you do not do your own work. But if you like the car then do it...

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
          In my opinion, hell yeah it's worth saving. If you think about the alternative, I doubt you could find the same sized car with the same options for cheaper than 2.5k.

What do you NEED done on the car? how many miles?

I have probably about $2k in my car but I also have a brand new timing belt, all gaskets, etc related, ram air, enkei rims, stainless steel headers all the way back to the magnaflow cat and cat-back magnaflow exhaust. Driving it makes me feel happy. Driving it in the winter makes me cry.. god damn salt.
          well miles it has around 135k cluster stop working at 125k i need to get a new one with low miles hard to find . a short ram intake wont fit on it coz my clutch pipe is on the way the kid that had before put it on the wrong place . rite now i need to fix whole front suspension i have the parts but no one to do it for me so im saving money for the labor . i need to get a exhaust system fix some dents get a new hood fender and headlights and paint her and then finally drop it and im live in Jersey but im originally from the Dominican Republic
          Last edited by Ramx; 04-18-2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Hmm, maybe save your $ and buy another CB7
            My Car

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
              Hmm, maybe save your $ and buy another CB7
              thats what i was thinking but is hard to find a 5 speed coupe around here

Comment

Restoring a car is almost always a red in the financial books. But the personal enjoyment and fulfillment can't be measured in dollars spent in this sort of thing.

If YOU think it's worth it. Do it, if not. Don't.

If you were to sell the car I'd doubt you'd get what you put into it. So if that's a big factor then don't.

Comment

I have a stash of parts waiting to go on my CB and I just acquired a set of rear quarter panels for my coupe.

yes its worth it cause like someone else said...for what you throw into the car...you still cannot have a new car for the same price...

Comment

oh i thought you meant full restoration similiar to a frame off restore on an older car.

for 2.5k and that means EVERYTHING like steering, tires, gaskets, bushings. id say yes...ive dumped a whole lot more than that and it rides well for a daily driver. has enough power, good clutch, smooth ride, corners decent.

unfortunately im going to get rid of it for a grand. nobody wants an accord that has 260k on it even though it drives like it has 60k.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

nah, not to me. I could restore everything new and what not but I'm at the point in my life where a) I'm tired of fixing shit on it b)i need more power and c) I want a new car. I think it's time to upgrade.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by Ramx View Post
                        but to make it look nice and more realiable i need to spend around 2.5k
                        What, are you buying another one?
                        To-Do List for Today
                        Be Awesome

Comment

well i ma c how everything goes after i fix the suspension and i hope it goes good because im agreed with most of u guys its a nice feeling when u spend good money in ur cars and feel proud that u worked on it and no im not buying a new car 2.5 is estimated of how much money i need to make the car look like a accord of the moth and yes that's my goal so prob ill keep the cb7

Comment

restoring a cb7 is worth it....you just need time and money to do...trust me..i would go for a cb7 than buying a new vehicle....
                            VS

Mercyboy: I rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

MERCYBOY THREAD:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158241
                            1990 RHD Honda accord si CB3 Canada http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196287
                            MY CB7 ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJID_IxwiNY

Comment

no it is not worth it.

you will still have a 17+ year old car that is not as safe...as newer designs...and it will just keep on breaking. 17 years is a hell of a long life for a car...even for a honda.

I bought my 93 in 2001 and it is NOW to the point were I will be spending big bucks to keep her going. Suspension mostly...to keep her road worthy/safe. I NEED shocks, and bushings. I already replaced ball joints. I also need tie rod ends. Now I need only two fenders and a hood, a condenser (and a dryer), and those suspension things...so I'm looking at under 1200 (500 shocks/springs, 200 body parts, 120 misc. suspension, 200 a/c parts) worth of repairs to have a very nice looking and decent car to drive...with a/c. Although it's still 17 years old...and not as safe as newer models. Course I will do all the work too.

If you calculated out 2500 worth of repairs to keep this car in good shape...that is more than it is worth...and is that parts/labor? That is a lot of repair work really. Too much for dd...and you aren't in a good position to have a project car...either a fix as you drive project (not performance) or a build for performance as you drive project. Project cars NEVER save you money in either case.

For a college guy you need to get a car that will hold up and not leave you on the side of the road or burning up at a stop light praying for a breeze in the hot summer sun. You NEED a car that will last you until you graduate and are making more money...what 3-4 years tops? That's not long at all to wait for a fun/project car.

I bought my accord right out of high school to last me until I finished college...it has done more then that...but again...that was 9 years ago, and...had my degree panned out, I WOULD have been driving a newer car by now. Luckily she's held up for now...but not for long really...again...that was 9 years ago.

question...how much can you afford a month? If you can put down a couple grand...or one grand...you can get a loan for 7000 and get yourself a 2000 accord like me and my wife did. Side airbags, dual front airbags...hell ours is a auto coupe with sunroof...kick ass car...it's as fast as my 93 sedan, and handles better too! We/( she) paid it off in a couple years even. Payments were like 150-200 a month...we paid more than we needed too also each month.

trust me...I tried driving my project car to school...I missed two tests, and was late numerous times...plus no a/c. Course my accord doesn't have a/c either I love driving my wifes 00 accord
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X