Suggestions on a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on a new car

I think this might be my last year in the cb7 world. I just see the accord going down a big money pit (probably 15k or a lil more in the next 2 years ) so i think its just time to move on to something newer and nicer.

Im stuck with these cars:

Evo8
    Sti
    S2000
    IS300
    Supra
    NSX

I have a good job lined up right now. And im 21 will be 22 by the end of the year, I just want something sporty and fast. Most likely ill put down 8k then get the loan for the rest and i have good credit.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

nsx or the supra.

Official CIVICKILLER's members ride thread! http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=112829

rock her with the shocker!

Comment

How secure is your job?
      Do you live with your parents, in an apartment, or do you own your own home?
      How much do you have in savings and how much will you have after you pay out the $8K?

The cars you've mentioned are all really nice and fun but don't you think that maybe you should buy something a little more reasonable, spend a little money making it quicker and then save money or something.
      "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
      - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

All those cars in your list are going to be 20-30k, or beat to death. Maybe both.

1992 NSXs still sell for 20k-ish.

The only car reasonably practical in terms of reliability and cost would be the IS300 (odd, the "Luxury" car is the one least likely to cost an arm and a leg to buy, repair, or modify!) However, that is also by far the slowest one on your list. Get a decent one for about $12,000... then spend whatever it takes to put the 2JZ-GTE into it.

The S2000 would be next... though it's not a very practical car if it's your only car.

STi, Evo... stay away unless you know exactly what you're looking at. If you're not buying new, you don't know how hard they were beat. People don't buy those cars to go easy on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          How secure is your job?
          Do you live with your parents, in an apartment, or do you own your own home?
          How much do you have in savings and how much will you have after you pay out the $8K?

The cars you've mentioned are all really nice and fun but don't you think that maybe you should buy something a little more reasonable, spend a little money making it quicker and then save money or something.
          i work for a company that makes "things" for the military.

parents for probably for the next 2-3 years

right now nothing. but i should have at least 5k the begining of june, and ill be working my way up buying and selling cars with blown motors or small body damage. so hopefully 20k by the begining of next spring. so ill proabably end up putting 12k down on the loan and work on the rest of the 8k to buy another car and fix it and sell it, and then go pick up one of those cars.
          miss my turbo cb7

Comment

I would definitely suggest having a daily driver, and getting one of those for a project car, or a weekend car.

I would LOVE an NSX. I own my own home (which I will be paying off shortly), I'm doing alright financially, and I have an enclosed carport that can easily be turned into a full garage. I have the luxury of being able to own 2-3 cars at once.

I STILL don't feel like I could afford that NSX!

Comment

is300 are still reasonable price wise my brother is selling his for like 7k with decent mileage..... I owned an STI at one point in time, they can be pricey to mod and pricey to maintain if you havent been into subaru's before.... Evo's are in the same boat... NSX's im not sure how to get parts to fix them but im sure the price and aftermarket parts are gonna be worse price wise to get then the EVO's and STI's..... S2000's are very Nice and price wise can be cheap but like deeve said al,l of the cars above might be beat on or not well maintained.. you can get a S2000 for a really good price with somewhat high mileage and go from there but forget about passengers or when 2 hot girls ask for a threesome

i see alot of people when they get a new good job they go crazy and spend because they can afford it now with the good job they have, but how the economy is i would just buy it out right unless you know if you loose your job you can afford it

^^MY OLD RIDE
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3052591 <<**CURRENT DA9 BUILD**

Comment

Have you considered the difference on interest rates for the cars you're looking at?

The rate on most auto loans are dependent on the year of the car. The older the car, the higher the rate. With some of the cars you're looking at, you could essentially be looking at a personal loan to buy them. That is going to drive up the overall cost.

Not a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination, but something to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badacc View Post
                  i see alot of people when they get a new good job they go crazy and spend because they can afford it now with the good job they have, but how the economy is i would just buy it out right unless you know if you loose your job you can afford it
                  My guitarist just dumped his HHR (which I'm sure he took a loss on) for a new Wrangler because he got a $2/hr raise. More expensive, less efficient, and possibly more to insure... I love the Jeep, but I don't feel it was the wisest of decisions.

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                  Have you considered the difference on interest rates for the cars you're looking at?

The rate on most auto loans are dependent on the year of the car. The older the car, the higher the rate. With some of the cars you're looking at, you could essentially be looking at a personal loan to buy them. That is going to drive up the overall cost.

Not a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination, but something to keep in mind.
                  Insurance is another thing to consider. Any one of those sports cars is going to cost a LOT more to insure than a CB7! Not only will the insurance companies want to charge more in general, but you'd most certainly want full coverage on such an investment.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post

yea ill have to take that into consideration

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    My guitarist just dumped his HHR (which I'm sure he took a loss on) for a new Wrangler because he got a $2/hr raise. More expensive, less efficient, and possibly more to insure... I love the Jeep, but I don't feel it was the wisest of decisions.

Insurance is another thing to consider. Any one of those sports cars is going to cost a LOT more to insure than a CB7! Not only will the insurance companies want to charge more in general, but you'd most certainly want full coverage on such an investment.
                    yea ill take to my insurance agent on the insurance on the nsx.

just found one on supraforums, a member is selling his modded nsx for 29k. if he still has it by next year spring, ill buy it.

miss my turbo cb7

Comment

I'd be afraid of modded... 1) you don't know how competent he (or his shop) really is... though the chances are greater that it was done right on an NSX than it would be on a cheap car... 2) you don't mod a car to baby it... you mod it to push it hard.

Although, that really is a beauty! What year is it?

Comment

I'd be afraid of modded... 1) you don't know how competent he (or his shop) really is... though the chances are greater that it was done right on an NSX than it would be on a cheap car... 2) you don't mod a car to baby it... you mod it to push it hard.

Although, that really is a beauty! What year is it?
                        well the guy owned a nastly built supra, and after that project was over he bought and built this. it still has a stock motor, just has alot into the suspension.

its a 91
                        miss my turbo cb7

Comment

Ok, stock motor is better... suspension mods are easily undone if they're not done correctly, and little damage can be done other than tires... unless you crash (and that clearly isn't wrecked!)

$30k for a 91 though... wow.

Comment

Ok, stock motor is better... suspension mods are easily undone if they're not done correctly, and little damage can be done other than tires... unless you crash (and that clearly isn't wrecked!)

$30k for a 91 though... wow.
                            i saw a 92 on nsxprime that was bone stock for 24,500. this one got

the first owner was a doctor, so the car was bone stock and regularly driven. also the car was always garaged kept

the next owner did the mods:

-NSX-R Mesh shift boot with carbon trim panel: $239.00
                            -NSX short shift kit: $60.00
                            -JIC coilovers: $2,034.00
                            -Science of Speed Stealth License Plate Kit: $98.40
                            -Ark Speed racing DTS lightweight exhaust: $945.00
                            -Stoptech Big Brake system front: $1895.00
                            -Stoptech Big Brake system rear: $2,995.00
                            -H&R wheel spacer NSX set: $137.00
                            -RPS Stage 1 Single Full Face Disc Clutch: $1,995.00

obviously the car has work done to it. about 10k in mods. and not to mention that it has Advan RZ Wheels that cost about 680 a wheel and it was dealer maintained so who knows how much work and money is done to that. it only has 78k on it.

the reason why im pushing myself towards a nsx or supra is because im young and dont have a family of my own or own my own house. so this is a time to afford the car, before the house and kids come.
                            Last edited by quickangel93; 04-18-2010, 04:37 PM.
                            miss my turbo cb7

Comment

That's very true... the only times you can be relatively irresponsible with your disposable income is when you're young, or when you're retired.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/348-G...item2c54088c08

Drop 8K more and you can have a Ferrari.

Comment

Working...
                              X