Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

never allow kids to practice with BB guns....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbomaxx View Post
    If you can't unholster your weapon and fire it before someone closes a 50 foot distance on you, you shouldn't be looking at, let alone touching a fire arm. Shit, in 50 feet, I can unholster, slide a mag in, chamber a round and fire off 3 chest shots. I KNOW this because my dad used to make me practice it at the range. He'd set the target all the way back. I'd have one magazine in my belt with 3 .45 rounds in it. He'd flip the switch, and the paper would charge. I'd have to draw my weapon, slam a clip in, chamber a round and fire off all 3 with no misses BEFORE it got to 5 feet of us or we couldn't go home. A pain in the ass yes, but worth the knowledge.
    Exactly, that's the kind of training you need.

50 feet isn't very much at all though. Anyone in good shape could sprint that in what 2-2.5seconds...

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
      Exactly, that's the kind of training you need.

50 feet isn't very much at all though. Anyone in good shape could sprint that in what 2-2.5seconds...
      The Paper made it to us in just about 3.5 seconds or so. I remember I timed it once because I was like WTF why does it move so fast!!

I'm mean if you have a handgun, holster it, put a empty mag in ur belt, sit there and try to time how long it takes you to unholster, mag in, chamber and pull the trigger 3 times! It's annoyingly hard when simple things give you trouble haha.
      "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
      "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
      Disregard females, acquire currency
      BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

This is a very informative and interesting discussion!

My boys are 5 and 7. They are just now getting to the age where they can know it is here.

Some one touched on the BIGGEST problem of guns+children: How "ready" DO you keep it?

I keep it unloaded, wrapped in a towel, in the top of my closet. I have shells in a shoebox, next to it, (in the same box as my evening bags, lol.)
        I am the legal 3 steps from firing.

Its "unlocked" state is also why I keep it high, hidden, and secret.
        Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoedoecb7 View Post
          I look for great deals and it helps when a guy I know owns a firearms warehouse LOL AR-15s arnt as much as much as people think. You can get a cheap one for about $550 or a decent used one for about the same.
          Meh. If you want cheap, get an AK or SKS. If you're going to buy an AR, buy something from a good manufacturer. AR's are known to be far more prissy so good parts is vital when you're defending yourself and your family. Anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong.

I have those. But mine are not earmuffs, rather they look like form fitted ear plugs and they have a small silver canister in the middle. I can hear people talking from 50 yards away, but as soon as a gun goes off, I don't hear the shot. Then I can hear voices again instantly. Best $180 I've ever spent.
          Should we be concerned?

If you can't unholster your weapon and fire it before someone closes a 50 foot distance on you, you shouldn't be looking at, let alone touching a fire arm. Shit, in 50 feet, I can unholster, slide a mag in, chamber a round and fire off 3 chest shots. I KNOW this because my dad used to make me practice it at the range. He'd set the target all the way back. I'd have one magazine in my belt with 3 .45 rounds in it. He'd flip the switch, and the paper would charge. I'd have to draw my weapon, slam a clip in, chamber a round and fire off all 3 with no misses BEFORE it got to 5 feet of us or we couldn't go home. A pain in the ass yes, but worth the knowledge.
          I would have kept failing... on purpose. You're making it sound like shooting is a chore

I just sold my Colt Ar15 for 1700 with spare stock, 3 mags and a spare upper receiver

And honestly that was cheap for all that stuff. NASTY gun. Just straight amazing.
          You should have sold this time last year. You may have gotten $3k for it. Prices were through the roof. Going to buy another AR?

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
          i dont plan on shooting someone OR getting shot by any caliber grain bullet/gun period lol. thats sort of a bad conversational piece come to think of it. i wonder if someone will go out and test it lulz
          I think it'd be a great conversation piece. This is where I was shot by a guy who broke into my house... you should see the other guy.... but you'd need to buy a shovel first. :P

It's been tested,

I personal think it's a matter a preference. When I shoot the Sig 9mm, it's recoils less, But if feels gutless compared to my .45. Now when I shoot the .45, MAN that thing just HAMMERS rounds down range like no other. However, it does take considerably longer to get your site picture back. Still well under a second, but time is so critical in a life or death situation. Personally, though, I feel more protected behind that big bad .45.
          Depends on the gun, the person, and the situation (or planned situation). 1 .22lr round on target is better than 17 9mm JHP's that miss.

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
          rofl

im pretty sure you shoot anyone with ANY bullet they would go down. shit, shoot me once and i know im down for good lol
          Yes and no. Most people do fall down only because that's what they think people who are shot are meant to do. They get that from TV. Hell, there's a chance that someone will fall at the sound of a gun shot even if they aren't hit.

That said, those who are on drugs OR those who have been trained can walk through 2,3, 5 or more rounds in center mass. If you were to double tap the heart there's still enough blood and oxygen in the brain to keep a person functional for 5-10 seconds before blacking out. That's plenty of time for that person to try to take you with them.

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
          9mm with hollow points ftw. 16 + 1, that's a lot of rounds, and the hollow points have great stopping power.
          8 .45 JHP's have more stopping power. This debate will go on forever

Originally posted by King James View Post
          I probably would too haha....but in a situation like a robber or something their adrenaline's probably already pumpin so they could probably take a non-lethal bullet or two....do some blow or meth before and they would be primed for battle haha
          Someone on PCP feels NO pain. In that case you have to get a head shot or hope that you break a major bone. Scary shit.

Originally posted by TheFirstNutZo View Post
          +1

I keep a loaded 9mm (Hydrashocks) on my night stand with a spare magazine of plinkers (for scaring off animals, mostly) also on the night stand. AR-15 resides loaded with 556 rounds under the bed (and two 30 round spare magazines). Just in case of the Russians or Zombies.
          Have a flashlight?

Originally posted by LadyG94CB7 View Post
          This is a very informative and interesting discussion!

My boys are 5 and 7. They are just now getting to the age where they can know it is here.

Some one touched on the BIGGEST problem of guns+children: How "ready" DO you keep it?

I keep it unloaded, wrapped in a towel, in the top of my closet. I have shells in a shoebox, next to it, (in the same box as my evening bags, lol.)
          I am the legal 3 steps from firing.

Its "unlocked" state is also why I keep it high, hidden, and secret.
          In my opinion, you may want to get a trigger lock for it. Keeping something secret is great security but if they accidentally find it one day it could be bad. Especially with the shells being nearby.

I don't know all laws and I am not a lawyer but I've never heard of the "legal 3 steps from firing." Do you live in NY, NJ, Cali or another Communist city/state?
          My Car
          FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

at mchaley. Shooting is NOT a chore, but hell, when you're hungry, you gotta eat!!

And seriously, if you shoot more than 5 times a year (I'm sure you do) Invest in some of those earplugs. Incredible technology. Seriously best 180 I've spent. And they are probably cheaper now, especially if you buy the muff style. Mine took 4 weeks to manufacture because they are made off a mold of my inner ear to ensure proper function.
            "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.

Comment

Oh and the 9mm vs. .45 debate will NOT go on forever!! A .45 has more stopping power, hands down. A 9 may fly faster and straighter, but that .45 THUDS you HARD. You'd have to be a trooper to keep moving after a bullet or 2 from my XD.

Just shoot one of each and tell me which scares you more.

Comment

I didnt say look for cheap stuff, I look for good deals. I got alot invested im my guns. My AR-15 has all new fully polished internals for smother faster shooting and for less jamming(those of you who have or owned an ar know what im talking about). The 1911s are the same way, never had any problems with them jamming though. The .22 is the most accurate and the most fun and least expensive to shoot and the m&p 40 is just a home defence gun.
                How hard do you have to squeeze a baby to make baby oil?
                H23 motor-H22 trans
                Advance Auto Parts Retail Parts

Comment

at mchaley. Shooting is NOT a chore, but hell, when you're hungry, you gotta eat!!

And seriously, if you shoot more than 5 times a year (I'm sure you do) Invest in some of those earplugs. Incredible technology. Seriously best 180 I've spent. And they are probably cheaper now, especially if you buy the muff style. Mine took 4 weeks to manufacture because they are made off a mold of my inner ear to ensure proper function.
                  I was thinking about getting some muffs. Most are slim enough so you don't look like Stewie Griffin. What kind of plugs do you have?

Oh and the 9mm vs. .45 debate will NOT go on forever!! A .45 has more stopping power, hands down. A 9 may fly faster and straighter, but that .45 THUDS you HARD. You'd have to be a trooper to keep moving after a bullet or 2 from my XD.

Just shoot one of each and tell me which scares you more.
                  Ah but it will go on forever because you can fit more 9mm into a pistol. 8 .45 in a 1911 whereas one pistol (forget if it's an XD or what) can fit 19 9mm.
                  My Car

Comment

this is the problem. if your gonna keep a gun for home protection, how ready do you keep it with young kids living there? i mean, wheats the point of having the gun if your not able to use it at a moments notice? someone breaks into your house, and if its small enough, getting it out of the safe, unlocking the trigger lock and putting in a clip will take a min.

if you got someone smart enough, they're coming in to take out the owners THEN rob the place. and i seriously doubt that they'll give you time to get the gun ready.

Comment

Most people that go to rob a house aren't there to hurt anyone. Usually, people that get killed in that situation get killed because they frightened the intruder. Really, if someone breaks into your house, the best thing to do is quietly call 911, and pretend you're asleep. With luck, they'll take what they want and leave, and the cops will find them as they do. (the cops SHOULD be smart enough not to create a potential hostage situation...)

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                        this is the problem. if your gonna keep a gun for home protection, how ready do you keep it with young kids living there? i mean, wheats the point of having the gun if your not able to use it at a moments notice? someone breaks into your house, and if its small enough, getting it out of the safe, unlocking the trigger lock and putting in a clip will take a min.

if you got someone smart enough, they're coming in to take out the owners THEN rob the place. and i seriously doubt that they'll give you time to get the gun ready.
                        It depends. Some people don't use a trigger lock if they use a safe.
                        Some people have a quick access safe especially designed for pistols. They'll keep them loaded with one in the pipe, safety on, and locked in a quick access safe.
                        Some people either unlock their safe or enter all but the last number in the safe so that it's faster to open. Again, they don't use a trigger lock if it's kept in a safe.
                        Some people take their pistol out, load it, and keep it on the night stand next to their bed with a flash light. In the morning they either strap it on or they put it in the safe.

If you have a dog or an alarm you will have plenty of time to get your gun IF you practice. You have the home court advantage. The intruder will have no idea where anything is.

If someone breaks in, you should get your gun while you or someone calls 911. Keep on the line with 911 because they will record the call which will be great evidence if you do the next few things. Arm yourself, get your kids into safety and then yell that you have a gun and you're in fear for your life. If the guy leaves, great. Stay put and don't chase after him. If he comes at you, fire. If he has a weapon and doesn't drop it, fire. Again, I'm not a lawyer and you should check all of the related laws.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Most people that go to rob a house aren't there to hurt anyone. Usually, people that get killed in that situation get killed because they frightened the intruder. Really, if someone breaks into your house, the best thing to do is quietly call 911, and pretend you're asleep. With luck, they'll take what they want and leave, and the cops will find them as they do. (the cops SHOULD be smart enough not to create a potential hostage situation...)
                        True. 99% of the time if someone breaks in they'll take something and gtfo. I wouldn't, however, trust a crack head thief with leaving peacefully. I also wouldn't trust the police to get to your house fast or discreet. If you want something done right, do it yourself. Calling 911 is a must in either case.
                        My Car

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
                          Have a flashlight?
                          One on the window sill (2ft above head of bed) (maglite 2x AA, LED converted), and the same in the AR15 case. I used to keep a 3D maglite on my dresser, but somehow the switch got corroded (condensation I guess, hasn't been submerged or in the rain) so I need to clean, regrease and reassemble that, its on my list.

I've been meaning to get one to mount on the AR15 (S&W M&P15T 16") but haven't gotten around to it yet. My handgun (Sig 226) has a rail but I don't like the weight a light adds. If I can find something light enough that doesn't mess with the balance of the gun, I may put something on there. Might sell my Crimson Trace and get some lights instead. It came with the gun but is built into a grip that isn't the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFirstNutZo View Post
                            One on the window sill (2ft above head of bed) (maglite 2x AA, LED converted), and the same in the AR15 case. I used to keep a 3D maglite on my dresser, but somehow the switch got corroded (condensation I guess, hasn't been submerged or in the rain) so I need to clean, regrease and reassemble that, its on my list.

I've been meaning to get one to mount on the AR15 (S&W M&P15T 16") but haven't gotten around to it yet. My handgun (Sig 226) has a rail but I don't like the weight a light adds. If I can find something light enough that doesn't mess with the balance of the gun, I may put something on there. Might sell my Crimson Trace and get some lights instead. It came with the gun but is built into a grip that isn't the greatest.
                            You need something brighter than 3 little led's in a 2AA maglight. I have that same thing and it's not nearly bright enough. You need a surefire light. 100 lumens at least.

You've got a full sized P226 but don't want to add a light to it because it's heavy? It's a heavy gun! :P
                            My Car

Comment

No worries, its high enough that I have a hard time reaching it. By the time they could reach it, or know its there to even look, they will have fired it, and KNOW it is not a toy.

In Fl, to legally store your gun, it must be three nameable steps from firing. This CAN include safes, locks, ect. My steps are unwrap gun, load gun, cock gun.
                              The weapon cannot be stored loaded.
                              The ammo must be in a separate place from the gun. (in vicinity is fine, but not loose on the shelf)
                              This is so that if you HAVE to use your gun, you can prove that you are not a wack-job looking for an excuse to pop a cap.
                              You can carry your gun in your car as long as it is done in this manner-ammo separate from gun, gun 3 steps from firing. If you got pulled over you just tell the cop you carry a fire-arm in the vehicle. If you are legit, you have nothing to worry about.
                              As I said, these are Fl laws, and as a responsible gun owner, I know the law.
                              Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

No worries, its high enough that I have a hard time reaching it. By the time they could reach it, or know its there to even look, they will have fired it, and KNOW it is not a toy.

In Fl, to legally store your gun, it must be three nameable steps from firing. This CAN include safes, locks, ect. My steps are unwrap gun, load gun, cock gun.
                                The weapon cannot be stored loaded.
                                The ammo must be in a separate place from the gun. (in vicinity is fine, but not loose on the shelf)
                                This is so that if you HAVE to use your gun, you can prove that you are not a wack-job looking for an excuse to pop a cap.
                                You can carry your gun in your car as long as it is done in this manner-ammo separate from gun, gun 3 steps from firing. If you got pulled over you just tell the cop you carry a fire-arm in the vehicle. If you are legit, you have nothing to worry about.
                                As I said, these are Fl laws, and as a responsible gun owner, I know the law.
                                in your situation, with young boys in the house that (from what i have gathered) do not see the gun very much, i would suggest a cable breach lock. i am a big fan of those over trigger locks since some of those can work loose a little bit and you can pull the whole lock to hit the trigger. a cable lock physically blocks the action from performing its function (i dont know what kind of gun you have, and the cables can be used in different ways, but it willl work about the same regardless of the gun.)

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                                Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                                'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                                Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Working...
                                X