New Car...Stuck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Car...Stuck...

Alright guys and gals. Iv had a few threaths similiar but not quite like this. Iv been thru a few cars afte I sold my miata Sold my miata for 3k, bought a 95 civic Hatch H22 for 3200 after I started missing mine. Trany gave a shit and had no money so sold her for 2500. Bought a 89 BMW 325e for 2000, it was clean but auto and slow, Sold for 1800. Bought an 88 mr2 that didnt run, thought it was something easy to fix. Got it started, and well knocked like a mofo. So ordered a silvertop 4age, itbs stock

Well now working on it, in the process of painting the bay. But I need a daily, i have no transportaion what so ever. Got layed off at my last job so theres no cash flow. Although going to start at an old job that I left a while back. Guaranteed me the hours I wanted so I took it.

However I need tranportation, so now Im looking to get a loan, and a new ride. I really need something reliable, also something newer, looks nice, has great potential for mods, and is somewhat quick in stock form, as it will stay relitively stock while I am still paying it off. May sell the MR2 when its done to put into parts for the new car, or may keep it...dont know...

Iv come down to a few cars that im looking at. Wanted some input on what you guys think, and if theres anything I should know...

Needs to stay under 18k, also looking for unbiased oppinions...

...The List...
    -Mazda RX8-1.3L rotary, 6 Speed, Nice, 4 seats, rotary has potential for good power, and responds really well to minor bolt ons. This one is really looking like a good choice. heard they are a blast to drive, very forgiving.10k-18k

-Mini Cooper s(Superchargted Version)-1.6L Supercharged, 6 Speed, 2 door, 4 seats and spacious inside, not much power, but 150 on a 19% pulley boosts power quite a bit for not much money along with other bolt ons. Also very good track car as well from my knowledge.12k-18k

-S2000-2.0 or 2.2L, 6 Speed, You all know, very nice car, reliable, convertible, 2 seats is a little less practical but I can mannage. Aftermarket is huge so no problem on that...10k-18k

Also if there are any other cars that fit my criteria...Please post, also thought of an 03 si or rsxs...But I honestly cant see myself driving either...Only Honda or Acura id own now is 2010 Accord,CB7, S2K, or TSX...
    Mazda RX8
    15.38%
    Mini Cooper S (Supercharged)
    19.23%
    Honda S2K
    50.00%
    Something Else? Tell Me...
    15.38%

I thought this was going to be about getting a new car stuck.

I think the option of a 2010 accord is the best.

Comment

Id love to get one but price is a little too steep...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTuner12010 View Post
        Id love to get one but price is a little too steep...
        Even a used one? Well i gusse you cant get a used 2010 but you could get a 2008.

Comment

rx-8's have many issues, mini's are pretty girly IMO, s2k's are sick, I just bought a 350z and I am in love, also consider those...

Comment

Mazda Speed 6

Turbo AWD and plenty space.
            1993 Accord EX
            2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Why does it need to be on a loan.....you can find a good dd honda or toyota for 1000 bucks out the door

your 18 dont put yourself in too much debt just because you can afford it now.....you never know what the future holds and if it isnt something good then your FUCKED....trust me on that one.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

03 accord coupe
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

The RX-8 is great, but if you care about fuel efficiency (and maintaining a fat wallet), its probably not a good choice. I drove most of the way from LA to northern california (360 miles) in my friend's RX-8, and averaged 18mpg. Car was completely stock, loaded with three guys. I typically get about 31 in my Accord on that same trip (for comparison; above EPA number).

Also, passing power is simply ridiculous. Maybe it was the high-altitude desert drive, but several 6th to 3rd downshifts were needed to make passing maneuvers acceptable.

EXTREMELY fun in the hills though. And the back seat is far bigger than expected. Bucket seats give great hugs. A/C performance was horrid in my buddy's car.

Out of this group, I'd probably pop for the S2000, although it suffers from a similar torque deficit as evinced in the RX-8.

I haven't personally driven a Mini Cooper, but I hear the steering is quite orgasmic, and fuel efficiency is way, way up. However, this car just doesn't like to depreciate! Used ones aren't that cheap. That's enough to sway my choice to an S2000.
                  Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                  2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                  2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

I've driven a Cooper S, and it's a blast. It looks small but the interior room is quite adequate, even for a 6' 230lb man like myself. lol

I'd shoot for that simply because of the backseat. But, if you're not needing a backseat... I'd go with the S2000.

1999 BMW M3
                    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

I wouldn't care what other people would buy since I would be the one driving it

Comment

I say If your looking for a car for your future, get something with some back seats. You never know when you may need to haul some stuff, people, ect.

Asking for an unbiased opinion on a Honda lovers site is kinda... yeah. Personally I'd go with a newer accord or civic.
                        You will most likely need a co-signer on the loan, and you are definately going to want to keep it under $10k maybe even under $5k. If something were to go wrong at that job that would cause you to loose it, then you have no way to pay on the car and your co-signer has to pay it. They usually don't like to have to pay on something they don't drive.

Comment

Of the cars listed:

The RX-8s have had their problems. My friend had one. She babied it... and the block cracked. They're so computer controlled that it's silly... they're nearly self-aware. Everything I've read about modifications to them mentioned the stock computers freaking out. When you can get a mod to work with the ECU, yes, the Renesis responds well to mods. However, with 18mpg in stock form, and a powerband that starts well above where you'd normally drive a car... I'd stay away from it as a daily. Especially since you're buying it used. People don't understand rotaries... so many people don't maintain them properly. Many mechanics don't know them all that well either.

The Mini... awesome little cars. I do agree about the girliness of them, though. The downside is that they're BMW products now. That means BMW repair costs. Maybe not quite so high as an actual BMW, but certainly not in the Honda realm! The supercharged versions may also be tired by now. As with the RX-8, they may not have been cared for as they should have been, which could end up costing you quite a bit.

The S2000 is the best choice on the list... aside from the practicality issue. It's a great car, unless you need to carry stuff, or more than one other person. Or if you want to drive in the snow... not so great. Being a sports car, they also may have been beat by this point. Of that list, I would still go with the S2k hands down (and I DO like the other cars mentioned).

A newer Accord would be a good choice, but they're pretty bulky... and for your price, you'll get a 4 cylinder, or a beat 6 cylinder (and if you want a 6 speed V6, that might be quite a task finding one...) That WOULD be the most practical of the choices, though.

Personally, I'm planning on getting an LS2 equipped CTS-V (the later model in the first generation, with the base C6 Corvette engine in it... fewer issues with those). Big, classy, powerful, comfortable, somewhat sporty (no RX-8, but not a complete slouch), not too bad on gas, amazing aftermarket (especially for the engine and transmission), and repairs aren't killer... Especially since the LS engine came in quite a few cars (Caddy parts may not be too cheap, but Camaro and Firebird parts won't be bad!) They're also American, so they're quite inexpensive... and generally, kids don't buy Cadillacs... so the chances of finding one that was abused by a stupid kid are slim. Most likely, they were owned by older men that wanted a luxury car with the heart of a sports car... and they KNEW what they were buying!

Those are my reasons for choosing that car. It may be something to consider. They're getting to be within the upper end of your price range.

Other than that... everyone I know that has gotten the current model Civic Si has been quite pleased with it.

Comment

Whata about the Mazda Speed 6?
                            MadLab Racing
                            Southern Maryland

Comment

Definitely a good choice (Juan mentioned it above...)

Turbo cars can be iffy, though... USED turbo cars, that is. If the previous owner didn't know how to properly care for it, they could be in bad shape.

Though the turbo AWD option brings a few nice cars to mind... Mazdaspeed 6, Legacy GT, WRX, STi (though one in that price range might not be something I'd trust...), Evo (again... people buy them to beat them...)

The Speed6 and Legacy GT are the least likely to have been beaten on... but that doesn't mean an ignorant owner didn't abuse them maintenance-wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X